Document Type : Original Research
Dept. of Infectious Disease, Research Center of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Dept. of Virology, Research Center of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Dept. of Microbiology, Research Center of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Tehran University of Medical Sciences
Background and Objectives: Meningoencephalitis in Iranian children is frequent, but encephalitis is rare .The frequency of HHV-6 and HHV-7 in central nervous system diseases of our children is unclear. The aim of this study was searching the DNA-s of HHV-6 & HHV-7 in CSF samples of children with meningoencephalitis
Materials and Methods: A cross sectional study (2007-2009) was done in Pediatric Ward in Rasoul Hospital, Tehran Iran. Totally, 150 CSF samples obtained from children (1-180 months) with meningoencephalitis. Conventional and BACTEC Ped Plus medium, latex agglutination tests were used for ruling out the bacterial causes. We searched the DNA-s of HHV-6 & HHV-6 quantitatively by Real time - PCR in 150 CSF samples obtained from children with meningoencephalitis.
Results: 60.7 % of cases were male. Fever was reported (>38.5) in 74%; irritability in 70%; Convulsion was seen in 53% of cases. Herpes virus was detected in 12% (18/150) of cases. Both HHV-6 & HHV-7 were found in 6% of all cases. HHV-6 DNA was detected in 4.7% (6) and HHV-7 DNA was detected in 2 cases (1.4%) without any correlation to age, sex and clinical signs. HHV-6 was slightly more frequent than HHV-7.
Conclusion: Our data indicate that herpes viruses are not uncommon causes in children with meningoencephalitis. The incidence was lower than other references.
- Shameem S, Vinod Kumar CS, Neelagund YF. Bacterial meningitis: rapid diagnosis and microbial profile: a multicentered study. J Commun Dis 2008;40(2):111-20.
- Negrini B, Kelleher KJ, Wald ER. Cerebrospinal fluid findings in aseptic versus bacterial meningitis. Pediatrics 2000;105(2):316-9.
- Behrman RE, Kliegman RM, Jenson HB. Text Book of Pediatrics. 17th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 2004.
- Behrman RE, Kliegman RM, Jenson HB. Text Book of Pediatrics. 16th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 2000.
- Tsang ML, Munz C. Cytolytic T lymphocytes from HLA-B8+ donors frequently recognize the Hodgkin's lymphoma associated latent membrane protein 2 of Epstein Barr virus. Herpesviridae 2011 Feb 11;2(1):4.
- Ward KN, Andrews NJ, Verity CM, Miller E, Ross EM. Human herpesviruses-6 and -7 each cause significant neurological morbidity in Britain and Ireland. Arch Dis Child 2005;90(6):619-23.
- Tyler KL. Herpes simplex virus infections of the central nervous system: encephalitis and meningitis, including Mollaret's. Herpes 2004 Jun;11 Suppl 2:57A-64A.:57A-64A.
- Schultze D, Weder B, Cassinotti P, Vitek L, Krausse K, Fierz W. Diagnostic significance of intrathecally produced herpes simplex and varizella-zoster virus-specific antibodies in central nervous system infections. Swiss Med Wkly 2004 Nov 27;134(47-48):700-4.
- Hall CB, Caserta MT, Schnabel KC, McDermott MP, Lofthus GK, Carnahan JA, et al. Characteristics and acquisition of human herpesvirus (HHV) 7 infections in relation to infection with HHV-6. J Infect Dis 2006 Apr 15;193(8):1063-9.
- Harrison NA, MacDonald BK, Scott G, Kapoor R. Atypical herpes type 2 encephalitis associated with normal MRI imaging. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2003;74(7):974-6.
- De T, X, Heron B, Lebon P, Ponsot G, Rozenberg F. Limits of early diagnosis of herpes simplex encephalitis in children: a retrospective study of 38 cases. Clin Infect Dis 2003 May 15;36(10):1335-9.
- (Clinical, radiologic, pathological features and diagnosis of 14 cases with interstitial lung disease in children.). Zhonghua Er Ke Za Zhi 2011;49(2):92-7.
- Pritz T, Memphill R, Talavera F. Herpes Simplex Encephalitis. Medicine 2002 Aug 1;1-11.
- Yao K, Honarmand S, Espinosa A, Akhyani N, Glaser C, Jacobson S. Detection of human herpesvirus-6 in cerebrospinal fluid of patients with encephalitis. Ann Neurol 2009;65(3):257-67.
- Caserta MT, Hall CB, Schnabel K, McIntyre K, Long C, Costanzo M, et al. Neuroinvasion and persistence of human herpesvirus 6 in children. J Infect Dis 1994;170(6):1586-9.
- Pohl-Koppe A, Blay M, Jager G, Weiss M. Human herpes virus type 7 DNA in the cerebrospinal fluid of children with central nervous system diseases. Eur J Pediatr 2001;160(6):351-8.
- Yoshikawa T, Ihira M, Suzuki K, Suga S, Matsubara T, Furukawa S, et al. Invasion by human herpesvirus 6 and human herpesvirus 7 of the central nervous system in patients with neurological signs and symptoms. Arch Dis Child 2000;83(2):170-1.
- Tabatabaei A, Aghaei F. Herpes Simplex Frequency in CSF of Encephlaitic Patients by PCR. Iran Inf and Trop Dis J 1999;14(10):19-26.
- Noorbakhsh S, Tonekaboni H, Rimaz S, Aghahosseini F. Detection the Ferequency of Herpes Virus Infection in Aseptic Meningitis in Children Admitted in Rasool Akram & Mofid Hospital. J Iran uni Med sci 2004;27(8):641-8.
- Expert working group on HHV-6 and 7 laboratory diagnosis and testing. Can Commun Dis Rep 2000 Sep;26 Suppl 4:i-iv, 1-27, i-iv passim.:i-27, i.