Document Type : Original Research
Dept. of Pathology, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
Background and Objectives: There are a few studies on histopathologic type of oral lesions especially from Iran. The aim of this study was to survey the oral lesions in Babol, northern Iran.
Methods: The histopathology records were retrospectively reviewed for all lesions of oral cavity and jaws, during the years 1990 to 2009. The data were collected from the archive of pathology and analyzed based on age, gender, site of lesion and histopathologic type.
Results: From the 465 studied specimens, the mean age was 34.6 ± 20.3 years old; female to male ratio was 1.1: 1. The most frequent lesions were inflammatory/reactive (60%), tumoral (25%), cystic (14.2%), and tumor like lesions (0.8%), respectively. The most common inflammatory lesion was mucocele as 54 cases (19.4%). Ameloblastoma was the most common odontogenic tumor (55.5%). The most common odontogenic cyst was radicular cyst (44.8%), and the most common non-odontogenic cyst was mucus retention cyst (75%).
Conclusion: It seems that the malignant oral and jaw lesions have been more prevalent in this study compared to others, thus, the patients must be biopsied earlier to rule out malignant oral lesion in histologic examination.
- Manor E, Kachko L, Puterman MB, Szabo G, Bodner L. Cystic lesions of the jaws-A clinicopathological study of 322 cases and review of the literature. Int J Med Sci 2012;9(1):20-6.
- Koseoglu BG, Atalay B, Erdem MA. Odontogenic cysts: a clinical study of 90 cases. J Oral Sci 2004;46(4):253-7.
- Butt FM, Ogeng'o J, Bahra J, Chindia ML. Pattern of odontogenic and non-odontogenic cysts. J Craniofac surg 2011;22(6):2160-2.
- Subhashraj k, Orafi M, Nair KV, El Gehani R, Elarbi M. Primary malignant tumors of orofacial region at Benghazi, Libya: A 17 years review. Cancer Epidemiol 2009;33:332-6.
- Kamulegeya A, Lakor F. Oral maxillofacial tumors and tumor-like conditions: a Ugandan survey. Pediatr Surg Int 2011;27:925-30.
- Kamulegeya A, Kalyanyama BM. Oral maxillofacial neoplasms in an East African population a 10 year retrospective study of 1863 cases using histopathological reports. BMC Oral Health 2008;8:19.
- Ebenezer V, Ramalingam B. A cross-sectional survey of prevalence of odontogenic tumours. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010;9(4):369-74.
- Agir H, Sen C, Lsil E, Unal C, Ustundag E, Keskin G. Odontogenic and nonodontogenic jaw cysts: experience in 25 cases. Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg 2008;18(3):157-65.
- Ladeinde AL, Ajayi OF, Ogunlewe MO, Adeyemo WL, Arotiba GT, Bamgbose BO, et al. Odontogenic tumors: a review of 319 cases in a Nigerian teaching hospital. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2005;99(2):191-5.
- Dhanuthai K, Barai M, Limpanaputtajak S. A retrospective study of pediatric oral lesions from Thailand. Int J Pediatr Dent 2 2007;17:248-53.
- Thorakkal S, Varghese VI, Shameena PM, Sudha S. A retrospective analysis of gingival biopsied lesions in south Indian population: 2001- 2006. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2008;13(7):414-8.
- Effiom OA, Adeyemo WL, Soyele OO. Focal reactive lesions of the gingiva: An analysis of 314 cases at a tertiary health institution in Nigeria. Niger Med J 2011;52(1):35-40.
- Ajayi OF, Ladeinde AL, Adeyemo WL, Ogunlewe MO. Odontogenic tumors in Nigerian children and adolescents: A retrospective study of 92 cases. World J Surg Oncol 2004;2: 39.
- Sriram G, Shetty RP. Odontogenic tumors: a study of 250 cases in an Indian teaching hospital. Oral surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2008;105(6):e 14-21.
- Fernandes AM, Duarte EC, pimento FJ, Souza LN, Santos VR, Mesquita RA, et al. Odontogenic tumors: a study of 340 cases in a Brazilian population. J Oral Pathol Med 2005;34(10):583-7.
- Guerrisi M, Piloni MJ, Keszler A. Odontogenic tumors in children and adolescents. A 15-year retrospective study in Argentina. Med Oral pathol Oral Cir Bucal 2007;12(3):E 180-5.
- Tamme T, Soots M, Kulla A, Karu K, Hanstein SM, Sokk A, et al. Odontogenic tumors, a collaborative retrospective study of 75 cases covering more than 25 year from Estonia. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2004:32(3):161-5.
- EI Gehani R, Krishnan B, Orafi H. The prevalence of inflammatory and developmental odontogenic cysts in a Libyan population. Libyan J Med 2007;12(16):75-8.
- Grossmann SM, Machado VC, Xavier GM, Moura MD, Gomez RS, Aguiar MC, et al. Demographic profile of odontoganic and selected nonodontogenic cysts in a Brazilian population. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007;104(6):e 35-41.
- Jing W, Xuan M, Lin Y, Wu L, Liu L, Zheng X, et al. Odontogenic tumors: a retrospective study of 1642 cases in a Chinese population. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2007;36(1):20-5.