Document Type : Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, Burdwan Medical College,West Bengal, India
Dept. of Pathology, North Bengal Medical College,West Bengal, India
Histoid Leprosy (HL) is a rare variant of Lepromatous Leprosy, occurring in long-standing cases, mostly in a background of acquired drug resistance. Patients usually present with sudden onset multiple nodules and plaques, most often involving the skin and subcutaneous tissue of trunk and lower limbs. Here we report an unusual case of de novo (without any history of prior anti-leprotic therapy) HL, arising as multiple nodules in the face. The histopathology of the lesion showed collection of spindled macrophages in the dermis, oriented in a storiform-like pattern. A possibility of HL was considered and the diagnosis was confirmed by performing a modified ZN stain (Wade-Fite stain) on the biopsy material, which revealed the presence of acid-fast bacilli (AFB) with a bacillary index of 6. Then the patient was put on multibacillary multi-drug chemotherapy and was thereby cured.
- Wade HW. The histoid variety of lepromatous leprosy. Int J Lepr 1963;31:129-42.
- Sehgal VN, Aggarwal A, Srivastava G, Sharma N, Sharma S. Evolution of histoid leprosy (de novo) in lepromatous (multibacillary) leprosy. Int J Dermatol 2005;44:576-8.
- Nigam PK and Singh G. Mucosal and genital lesions in histoid leprosy. Int J Dermatol 1990;29: 207-8.
- Palit A, Inamadar AC. Histoid leprosy as reservoir of disease: a challenge to leprosy elimination. Lepr Rev 2007;78:47-9.
- Annigeri SR, Metgud SC, Patil JR. Lepromatous leprosy of histoid type. Indian J Med Microbiol 2007;25:70-1.
- Mendiratta V, Jain A, Chander R, Khan A, Barara M.A nine-year clinico-epidemiological study of Histoid Hansen in India. J Infect Dev Ctries 2011;5:128-31.
- Nair SP, Moorthy KP, Suprakasan S, Jayapalan S, Mini G. Histoid leprosy - unusual presentation. Int J Dermatol 2006;45:433-4.
- Murthy SV, Rao SM, Thejaswini, Mannan K. De-novo histoid leprosy. J Lab Physicians 2011;3:110-2.
- Kaur I, Dogra S, De D, Saikia UN. Histoid leprosy: a retrospective study of 40 cases from India. Br J Dermatol 2009;160:305-10.