Document Type : Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, Loghman Hakim Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Dept. of Neurosurgery, Loghman Hakim Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Dept. of Radiology, Loghman Hakim Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Dept. of Clinical Research, Pasteur Institute of Iran, Tehran, Iran
Follicular thyroid carcinoma (FTC) is the second most common type of thyroid cancer after papillary carcinoma. It usually grows slowly and is clinically indolent; but rarely, its aggressive forms with distant metastases can occur. We report here an uncommon case of bilateral orbital metastasis of FTC. A 70-year-old woman presented with bilateral exophtalmus and past medical history of thyroid nodule surgery 15 years ago. Radiologic evaluation showed massive bilateral orbital mass with extension to calvarium. Tumor decompressed and removed with the suction and curettage and the patient was treated with chemoradiotherapy after operation. Pathologic examination showed metastatic follicular thyroid carcinoma. Although orbital metastasis of follicular thyroid carcinoma is uncommon, FTC should be considered as a potential primary neoplasm in a patient with orbital mass
- Buandasan K, Hussein A. Follicular thyroid carcinoma mimicking meningioma: A case report. Asian Pac J Trop Med 2012; 1: 82-4.
- Kisakol G, Guney E, Kabalak T. Follicular thyroid carcinoma with late choroidal metastasis. Turkish J Endocrinol Metabolism 2002; 4: 155-7.
- Parlea L, Fahim L, Munoz D, Hanna A, Anderson J, Cusimano M, et al. Follicular carcinoma of the thyroid with aggressive metastatic behavior in a pregnant woman: Report of a case and review of the literature. Hormones 2006; 5(4):295-302.
- Ozdemir N, Senoglu M, Acar UD, Canda MS. Skull metastasis of follicular thyroid carcinoma. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2004, 146: 1155-8.
- Anil S, Lal PM, Gill DS, Beena VT. Metastasis of thyroid carcinoma to the mandible. Case report. Aust Dent J 1999; 44: 56-7.
- Hefer T, Manor R, Zvi Joachims H, Groisman GM, Peled M, Gov-Ari E, et al. Metastatic follicular thyroid carcinoma to the maxilla. J Laryngol Otol 1998; 112: 69-72.
- Scarrow AM, Colina JL, Levy EI, Welch WC. Thyroid carcinoma with isolated spinal metastasis: case history and review of the literature. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 1999, 101: 245-8.
- Hornblass A, Kass LG, Reich R. Thyroid carcinoma metastatic to the orbit. Ophthalmology 1987; 94(8):1004-7.
- Betharia SM. Metastatic orbital carcinoma of thyroid. Indian J Ophthalmol 1985; 33(3):191-3.
- Daumerie C, De Potter P, Godfraind C, Rahier J, Jamar F, Squiffl et JP. Orbital metastasis as primary manifestation of thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 2000; 10(2):189-92.
- Besic N, Luznik Z. Choroidal and orbital metastases from thyroid cancer. Thyroid 2013; 23(5):543-51.
- Amemiya T, Hayashida H, Dake Y. Metastatic orbital tumors in Japan: a review of literature. Ophthalmic Epidemiol 2002; 9(1):35-47.
- What you need to know about thyroid cancer. National Cancer Institute Web site. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/thyroid/page1. October 26, 2007. Accessed April 30, 2010.
- Basu S, Nair N, Aravind N. Unilateral proptosis with thyrotoxicosis resulting from solitary retroorbital soft tissue metastasis from follicular carcinoma thyroid. Clin Nucl Med 2001; 26(2):136-8.