Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, Father Muller Medical College, Mangalore, India
Myeloid Sarcoma (MS) is a tumor mass consisting of myeloblast with or without maturation occurring at an anatomical site other than the bone marrow. Incidence of MS ranges from 1-9% and is most commonly misdiagnosed as Non Hodgkins Lymphoma or poorly differentiated carcinoma. MS can occur in various sites but nasal cavity involvement is rare. Here we report acaseof MS presenting as nasal polyp since 2 weeks in a 30 year old male patient who presented to Otolaryngology department of Father Muller Medical College Hospital, India in 2012. Patient was eventually found to have Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). This case highlights the importance of hematological and histological correlation coupled with Immunohistochemistry which is mandatory for the accurate diagnosis of this rare entity.
- Albano F, Specchi G. Extramedullary disease (EMD) in acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL). Mediterr J Hematol Infect Dis 2011;3(1):e2011066.
- Paydas S, Zorludemir S, Ergin M. Granulocytic sarcoma: 32 cases and review of the literature. Leuk Lymphoma 2006; 47:2527-41.
- Ferri E, Minotto C, Ianniello F, Cavaleri S, Armato E, Capuzzo E Maxillo-ethmoidal chloroma in acute myeloid leukaemia: Case report. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 2005; 25: 195-9.
- Alexiev AB, Wang W, and Zhao FX . Myeloid Sarcoma: a histologic,immunohistochemical and cytogenetic study. Diagn Pathol 2007;2: 42.
- Yamamoto Y, Uchima T, Konoike Y, Nakamin H. Myeloid Sarcoma in the Nasal Cavities that Developed during the Course of Acute Myelomonocytic Leukemia. J Clin Exp Hematopathol 2010; 50(2):165-70.
- Prades JM, Alaani A, Mosnier JF, Dumollard JM, Martin C. Granulocytic sarcoma of the nasal cavity. Rhinology 2002; 40:159-61.
- Yamauchi K, Yasuda M. Comparison in treatments of nonleukemic granulocytic sarcoma: Report of two cases and a review of 72 cases in the literature. Cancer 2002;94:1739-46.
- Gorman M , Ahmed KA , Pallera A , Samant A. Granulocytic sarcoma of the nasal cavity. Ear Nose Throat J 2009;88(11):1210-2.
- Osterne RLV, Matos-Brito RG, Alves APNN, Nogueira TNAG, Rocha-Filho FD, Meneses FA, et al. Oral Granulocytic Sarcoma: A case report. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2009;14(5):232-5.
- Messager M, Amielh D, Chevallier C, Mariette C. Isolated granulocytic sarcoma of the pancreas: A tricky diagnostic for primary pancreatic extramedullary acute myeloid leukemia. World J Surg Oncol 2012 ;10:13.
- Pileri SA, Ascani S, Cox CM, Campidelli C, Bacci F, Piccioli M, et al. Myeloid sarcoma: clinico-pathologic, phenotypic and cytogenetic analysis of 92 adult patients.Leukemia 2007; 21: 340–50.
- Cho FS, Liu CY, Tsai JH et al. Myeloid Sarcoma Mimicking Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 2011; 29(1): 706-8.
- Neiman RS, Barcos M, Berard C, Bonner H, Mann R, Rydell RE, et al. Granulocytic sarcoma: A clinicopathologic study of 61 biopsied cases. Cancer 1981; 48(6):1426-37.
- AlKhateeb H, Badheeb A, Haddad H, Marei L, Abbasi S. Myeloid Sarcoma: Clinicopathologic, Cytogenetic, and Outcome Analysis of 21 Adult Patients. Leukemia Res Treatment 2011;2011:523168.