Document Type: Case Reports
Department of Pathology, Sina Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Department of Neurosurgery, Sina Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Department of Radiology, Sina Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Rhabdoid papillary meningioma is an uncommon aggressive variant of meningioma which has the potential to metastasize and spread throughout the brain and even out of the cranium. Herein, we present recurrence of the brain tumor in a 26-year-old woman. The patient had history of the surgery for two lesions in the right temporal lobe and the left cerebellopontine angle. Imaging showed three lesions in the right temporal lobe, the right occipital horn wall, and the left cerebellopontine angle. These radiologic findings were mostly suggestive of atypical meningioma. In the surgical view, the mass was solid-cystic reddish Cauliflower-shaped in the right temporal lobe attaching to the temporal horn. The microscopic examination showed a cellular neoplasm with the sheet-like and papillary growth pattern. Individual cells had vesicular nuclei some with prominent nucleoli and eosinophilic cytoplasm. The areas of the tumor cells showed round eccentric nuclei and prominent nucleoli with eosinophilic cytoplasm. Immunohistochemistry studies showed diffuse positivity of tumor cells with Vimentin, EMA, and S100. The overall clinical, radiological and histopathological examinations were compatible with high grade rhabdoid-papillary meningiomas. In the present case study, we discuss imaging and histomorphological features of this rare entity of meningiomas.
- Vajtai I, Palka I, Varga Z, Mucsi Z, Tarjanyi J, Horvath K, et al. [Rhabdoid meningioma: a potentially aggressive new variant]. Orv Hetil. 2000;141(19):1025-30.
- Perry A, Scheithauer BW, Stafford SL, Abell-Aleff PC, Meyer FB. "Rhabdoid" meningioma: an aggressive variant. Am J Surg Pathol. 1998;22(12):1482-90. [DOI:10.1097/00000478-199812000-00005] [PMID]
- Wu YT, Ho JT, Lin YJ, Lin JW. Rhabdoid papillary meningioma: a clinicopathologic case series study. Neuropathology. 2011;31(6):599-605. [DOI:10.1111/ j.1440-1789.2011.01201.x] [PMID]
- Mondal S, Pradhan R, Pal S, Chatterjee S, Bandyapadhyay A, Bhattacharyya D. Rhabdoid Meningioma of Brain - A Rare Aggressive Tumor. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol. 2017;38(2):218-9.
- Bansal M, Pathak VP, Kishore S, Bansal KK. Rhabdoid meningioma: rapid intraoperative diagnosis on squash smears. Diagn Cytopathol. 2010;38(8):594-6. [DOI:10.1002/dc.21276] [PMID]
- Hojo H, Abe M. Rhabdoid papillary meningioma. Am J Surg Pathol. 2001;25(7):964-9. [DOI:10.1097/00000478-200107000-00018] [PMID]
- Wakabayashi K, Suzuki N, Mori F, Kamada M, Hatanaka M. Rhabdoid cystic papillary meningioma with diffuse subarachnoid dissemination. Acta Neuropathol. 2005;110(2):196-8. [DOI:10.1007/s00401-005-1037-1] [PMID]
- Santhosh K, Kesavadas C, Radhakrishnan VV, Thomas B, Kapilamoorthy TR, Gupta AK. Rhabdoid and papillary meningioma with leptomeningeal dissemination. J Neuroradiol. 2008;35(4):236-9. [DOI:10.1016/j.neurad.2008.01.079] [PMID]
- Saito A, Nakazato Y, Yoshii Y, Hyodo A, Harakuni T, Toita T, et al. Anaplastic meningioma with papillary, rhabdoid, and epithelial features: a case report. Brain Tumor Pathol. 2001;18(2):155-9. [DOI:10.1007/BF02479430] [PMID]
- Rogerio F, de Araujo Zanardi V, Ribeiro de Menezes Netto J, de Souza Queiroz L. Meningioma with rhabdoid, papillary and clear cell features: case report and review of association of rare meningioma variants. Clin Neuropathol. 2011;30(6):291-6. [DOI:10.5414/ NP300408] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Karabagli P, Karabagli H, Yavas G. Aggressive rhabdoid meningioma with osseous, papillary and chordoma-like appearance. Neuropathology. 2014;34(5):475-83. [DOI:10.1111/neup.12122] [PMID]
- Jia W, Sonoda Y, Saito R, Endo T, Watanabe M, Tominaga T. Intracerebral cystic rhabdoid papillary meningioma in an 11-year-old patient. Childs Nerv Syst. 2014;30(12):2151-5. [DOI:10.1007/s00381-014-2470-z] [PMID]
- Eom KS, Kim DW, Kim TY. Diffuse craniospinal metastases of intraventricular rhabdoid papillary meningioma with glial fibrillary acidic protein expression: a case report. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2009;111(7):619-23. [DOI:10.1016/j.clineuro.2009.05.002] [PMID]
- Al-Habib A, Lach B, Al Khani A. Intracerebral rhabdoid and papillary meningioma with leptomeningeal spread and rapid clinical progression. Clin Neuropathol. 2005;24(1):1-7.