Document Type: Case Reports
M.D, FCAP, Assistant professor of Pathology, Department of Pathology, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
M.D, Department of Pathology, Beheshti Hospital, Shiraz, Iran
M.D, Professor of Pathology, Department of Pathology and Hematology Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical sciences, Shiraz, Iran
M.D, Pasteur Pathobiology Laboratory, Shiraz, Iran
Lymphoepithelial - like carcinoma, is rarely recognized in the urinary bladder and less commonly occurs with papillary transitional cell carcinoma i.e. mixed pattern. Also, less uncommon is the occurrence of carcinoma in situ changes in the adjacent urothelium of these tumors. Here, a case of lymphoepithelial – like carcinoma and papillary transitional cell carcinoma associated with carcinoma in situ changes of urothelium of the urinary bladder has been reported the prognosis of this type of malignancy as well as its management will be discussed. Meanwhile, immunohistochemical stains have been carried out to differentiate it from lymphoma of the urinary bladder and the findings will be discussed.
- Amin MB, Histological variants of urothelial carcinoma: diagnostic, therapeutic and prognostic implications. Modern Pathology. (2009)22 , 96 - 118. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.2009.26
- Amin MB, Ro JY, Lee KM, Ordóñez NG, Dinney CP, Gulley ML, et al , Lymphoepithelial – Like carcinoma of the urinary bladder Am J Surg Pathol. 1994; ( 5 ) : 466-473 . https://doi.org/10.1097/00000478-199405000-00005
- Beltrán AL, Luque RJ, Vicioso L, Anglada F, Requena MJ, Quintero A, et al. Lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma of the urinary bladder: a clinicopathologic study of 13 cases, Virchows Archiv. 2001; 438: 552-557 .
- Hardan P, Eardly I, Joyce AD, Cytokeratin 20 as an objective marker of urothelial dysplasia, British Journal of Urology International.1996; 78: 870 -875. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1464-410X.1996.23511.x
- HOLMANG S, BORGHEDE G, Johansson SL. Bladder carcinoma with lymphoepithelioma-like differentiation: a report of 9 cases. The Journal of urology. 1998 Mar;159(3):779-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(01)63727-3
- Izquierdo-Garcia FM, Garcia-Diez F, Fernandez I, Perez-Rosado A, Saez A, Suarez-Vilela D, et al. Lymphoepithelial – Like carcinoma of the urinary bladder three cases with clinicopathological and P 53 Protein expression study , Virchows Archiv. 2004; 444 : 420-425 . https://doi.org/10.1007/s00428-004-1000-x
- Kakizoe T, Matumoto K, Nishio Y, Ohtani M, Kishi K, Significance of carcinoma in situ and dysplasia in association with bladder cancer , The Journal of Urology. 1985; 133 (3) : 395 – 398. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(17)48994-4
- Kessler ER, Amini A, Wilson SS, Breaker K, Raben D, La Rosa FG, et al. Lymphoepithelioma – Like carcinoma of the urinary bladder, Oncology Journal , Bladder Cancer. June 15 , 2015 .
- Mills SE, Greenson JK, Hornick JL, Longacre TA, Reuter VE Sternberg’s Diagnostic Surgical Pathology , 6th Edition , Wolters Kluwer Health , page 960 and 1183 .
- Pantelides NM, Ivaz SL, Falconer A, Hazell A, Winkler M, Hrouda D, et al. Lymphoepithelial – Like carcinoma of the urinary bladder : A case report and review of systemic treatment options , Urology Annals. 2012; ( 4 )45-47 .
- Porcaro AB, Gilioli E, Migliorini F, Antoniolli SZ, Iannucci A, Comunale L, Primary lymphoepithelial – Like carcinoma of the urinary bladder report of one case with review and update of literature after a pooled analysis of 43 cases , International Urology and Nephrology. 2003; 35 : 99-106.
- Rosai J Rosai and Ackerman’s surgical pathology, 10ed. New York: Elsevier ; pages 297, 373, 599, 632, 636, 837, 951, 1205, 373, 599, 632, 636, 837, 951, 1205, 1296 and 1303.
- Stein JP, Lieskovsky G, Cote R, Groshen S, Feng AC, Boyd S, et al . Radical Cystectomy in the Treatment of Invasive Bladder Cancer : Long-Term Result in 1,054 patients , Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2001; 19(3): 666-675 .
- Tamas EF, Nielsen ME, Schoenberg MP, Epstein JI. Lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma of the urinary tract: a clinicopathological study of 30 pure and mixed cases. Modern pathology. 2007 Aug; 20(8): 828. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.3800823
- Williamson SR, Zhang S, Lopez-Beltran A, Shah RB, Montironi R, Tan PH, et al. Lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma of the urinary bladder: clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular features. The American journal of surgical pathology. 2011 Apr 1;35(4):474-83. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAS.0b013e31820f709e
- Yoshino T, Ohara S, Moriyama H. Lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma of the urinary bladder: a case report and review of the literature. BMC research notes. 2014 Dec;7(1):779. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-7-779
- Zukerberg LR, Harris NL, Young RH. Carcinomas of the urinary bladder simulating malignant lymphoma. A report of five cases. The American journal of surgical pathology. 1991 Jun;15(6):569-76.