Document Type: Original Research
Dept. of Pathology, Dhanalakshmi Srinivasan Medical College and Hospital, Siruvachur, Perambalur, Tamilnadu-621113, India
Background and objective:Cytogenetic damage in exfoliated buccal epithelial cells due to environmental and occupational exposure is often monitored by micronucleus (MN) assay using liquid based cytology (LBC) preparations. This study was performed to evaluate MN in exfoliated buccal epithelial cells of building construction workers using LBC preparations.
Material and methods: LBC preparations of exfoliated buccal epithelial cells from 100 subjects [50 building construction workers (cases) and 50 administrative staffs (controls)] was evaluated by May-Grunwald Giemsa, Hematoxylin and Eosin and Papanicolaou stains. Student’s t test was used for statistical analysis and a P value of Results: The mean frequencies of MN for cases were significantly higher than controls regardless of staining methods used.There were statistically significant differences between smokers and non-smokers of the controls as well as duration of working exposure (5 years) and smokers and non-smokers of cases (P=0.001). However, there were meaningful differences regarding mean frequencies of MN between smokers, non-smokers, those with alcohol consumption or not in cases and controls using various stains (P=0.001).
Conclusion: There was an increased risk of cytogenetic damage in building construction workers. However, evaluation of MN of exfoliated buccal epithelial cells in building construction workers serve as a minimally invasive biomarker for cytogenetic damage. LBC preparations can be applied for MN assay as it improves the quality of smears and cell morphology, decreases the confounding factors and reduces false positive results.
- Bolognesi C, Knasmueller S, Nersesyan A, Thomas P, Fenech M. The HUMNxl scoring criteria for different cell types and nuclear anomalies in the buccal micronucleus cytome assay - an update and expanded photogallery. Mutat Res 2013;753:100-13.
- Fenech M, Kirsch-Volders M, Natarajan AT, Surralles J, Crott JW, Parry J et al. Molecular mechanisms of micronucleus, nucleoplasmic bridge and nuclear bud formation in mammalian and human cells. Mutagenesis 2011;26:125-32.
- Motgi AA, Chavan MS, Diwan NN, Chowdhery A, Channe PP, Shete MV. Assessment of cytogenic damage in the form of micronuclei in oral epithelial cells in patients using smokeless and smoked form of tobacco and non-tobacco users and its relevance for oral cancer. J Can Res Ther 2014;10:165-70.
- Ramos M.A, Cury FdP, Scapulatempo Neto C, Marques MMC, Silveira H.C.S Micronucleus Evaluation of Exfoliated Buccal Epithelial Cells Using Liquid-Based Cytology Preparation. Acta Cytologica 2014;58:582-88.
- Consonni D, De Matteis SD, Pesatori AC, Bertazzi PA, Olsson AC, Kromhout H. Lung cancer risk among bricklayers in a pooled analysis of case-control studies. Int J Cancer 2015;136:360-71.
- Sellappa S, Prathyumnan S, Balachandar V. DNA damage induction and repair inhibition among building construction workers in south India. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev 2010;11:875-80.
- Holland N, Bolognesi C, Kirsch-Volders M, Bonassi S, Zeiger E, Knasmueller S et al. The micronucleus assay in human buccal cells as a tool for biomonitoring DNA damage: the HUMN project perspective on current status and knowledge gaps. Mutat Res 2008;659:93-108.
- Bibbo M, Wilber DC: Comprehensive cytopathology. In: Marluce B, Nasuti JF, editors. Evaluations of the sample in smears and liquid-based preparations. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2008. pp. 65-74.
- Zeppa P. Liquid-based cytology: a 25-year bridge between and the Pap smear and molecular cytopathology. Acta Cytologica 2014;58:519-21.
- Beerman H, van Dorst EB, Kuenen-Boumeester V, Hogendoorn PC. Superior performance of liquid-based versus conventional cytology in a population-based cervical cancer screening program. Gynecol Oncol 2009;112:572-6.
- Norimatsu Y, Yanoh K, Kobayashi TK. The role of liquid-based preparation in the evaluation of endometrial cytology. Acta Cytol 2013;57:423-35.
- Samanta S, Dey P. Micronucleus and its applications. Diagn Cytopathol 2012;40:84-90.
- Tolbert PE, Shy CM, Allen JW. Micronuclei and other nuclear anomalies in buccal smears: a field test in snuff users. Am J Epidemiol 1991;134:840-50.
- El-Setouhy M, Loffredo CA, Radwan G, Abdel Rahman R, Mahfouz E, Israel E et al. Genotoxic effects of waterpipe smoking on the buccal mucosa cells. Mutat Res 2008;655:36-40.
- Driscoll T, Nelson D, Steenland K, Leigh J, Concha-Barrientos M, Fingerhut M. The global burden of disease due to occupational carcinogens. Am J Ind Med 2005;48:419-31.
- Tse LA, Yu IT, Qiu H, Au JS, Wang XR. Occupational risks and lung cancer burden for Chinese men: a population-based case-referent study. Cancer Causes Control 2012;23:121-31.
- Dwivedi N, Agarwal A, Raj V, Kashyap B, Chandra S. Comparison of centrifuged liquid based cytology method with conventional brush cytology in oral lesions. Eur J Gen Dent 2012;1:192-6.
- Ahmed HG, Edris AM, Mohmed EA, Hussein MO. Value of centrifugated liquid-based cytology by papanicolaou and May-Grünwald in oral epithelial cells. Rare Tumors 2009;1:e12.
- Burd EM. Human papillomavirus and cervical cancer. Clin Microbiol Rev 2003;16:1-17.
- Yadav N, Hegde V, Nambiar S, Hallikeri K. Efficacy of centrifuged liquid-based cytology over conventional cytology in oral squamous cell carcinoma: a diagnostic augmentation. Int J Sci Stud 2015;2:150-54.
- Kujan O, Desai M, Sargent A, Bailey A, Turner A, Sloan P. Potential applications of oral brush cytology with liquid-based technology: results from a cohort of normal oral mucosa. Oral Oncol 2006;42:810-8.
- Hayama FH, Motta AC, Silva Ade P, Migliari DA. Liquid-based preparations versus conventional cytology: specimen adequacy and diagnostic agreement in oral lesions. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2005;10:115-22.
- Agarwal M, Sunitha JD, Dawar G, Rallan NS. Micronuclei assay of exfoliated oral mucosal cells: a review. Annals of Dental Specialty 2014;2:47-50.
- Sarto F, Finotto S, Giacomelli L, Mazzotti D, Tomanin R, Levis AG. The micronucleus assay in exfoliated cells of the human buccal mucosa. Mutagenesis 1987;2:11-17.
- Piyathilake CJ, Macaluso M, Hine RJ, Vinter DW, Richards EW, Krumdieck CL. Cigarette smoking, intracellular vitamin deficiency, and occurrence of micronuclei in epithelial cells of the buccal mucosa. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 1995;4:751-8.
- Stich HF, Rosin MP. Quantitating the synergistic effect of smoking and alcohol consumption with the micronucleus test on human buccal mucosa cells. Int J Cancer 1983;31:305–308.