Document Type : Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, JN Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, India
Dept. of Surgery, JN Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, India
Granulomatous response in association with breast cancer and within the cancer draining lymph nodes is an extremely rare phenomenon. Granulomatous inflammation is an immune response commonly seen against infectious agents and certain non-neoplastic conditions. The etiopathogenesis of granulomas associated with malignancies is not clear but it may be because of an immunologic reaction to tumour antigens. We hereby report a 50-yr-old postmenopausal female presented to Surgical Outpatient Department, Aligarh Muslim University, India, with complaints of lump and pain in her left breast for 6 months. We have also discussed about its etiopathogenesis, final diagnosis, treatment & patient outcome.
- Coyne JD. Colonic carcinoma with granulomatous (sarcoid) reaction. J Clin Pathol 2002; 55:708-9.
- Hes O, Hora M, Vanecek T, Sima R, Sulc M, Havlicek F et al. Conventional renal cell carcinoma with granulomatous reaction: A report of three cases. Virchows Arc 2003; 443: 1432-2307.
- Sehgal S, Goyal P, Ghosh S, Mittal D, Singh S. Malignancy and Granulomatosis: Causality or Coincidence? Narrative Systematic Review. Iran J Pathol 2014; 9 (4), 237 – 244.
- Bigotti G, Coli A, Magistrelli P, De Ninno M, Antonacci V, Crucitti A, et al. Gastric adenocarcinoma associated with granulomatous gastritis report and review of the literature. Tumori 2002;88(2):163-6.
- Ophir D, Nissim F, Marshak G. Granulomatous reaction in lymph nodes draining laryngeal carcinoma. Head Neck Surg 1986;8(3):214-7.
- Gorton G, Linell F. Malignant tumours and sarcoid reactions in regional lymph nodes. Acta Radiol. 1957;47(5):381–392.
- Oberman HA. Invasive carcinoma of the breast with granulomatous response. Am J Clin Pathol 1987; 88 (6), 718–721.
- Alalshee T, Hamed T, Shafi SM. Granulomatous reaction associated with breast carcinoma: A report of two cases. Saudi J Med Med Sci 2014; 2:120-2.
- Bhatia A, Kumar Y, Kathpalia AS. Granulomatous inflammation in lymph nodes draining cancer: A coincidence or a significant association. Int J Med Med Sci 2009; 1(2), 013-016.
- Alujevic A, Juric G, Separovic V, Kruslin B. Invasive breast carcinoma with granulomatous stromal response. Zentralbl Gynakol 1997;119:343–5.
- Santini D, Pasquinelli G, Alberghini M,Martinelli GN, Taffurelli M. Invasive breast carcinoma with granulomatous response and deposition of unusual amyloid. J Clin Pathol 1992;45:885–8.
- Daroca PJ. Medullary carcinoma of the breast with granulomatous stroma. Hum Pathol 1987;18:761–3.
- Bässler R, Birke F. Histopathology of tumour associated sarcoid-like stromal reaction in breast cancer. An analysis of 5 cases with immunohistochemical investigations.Virchows Arch A Pathol Anat Histopathol 1988;412:231–9.
- Hall PA, Kingston J, Stansfield AG. Extensive necrosis in malignant lymphoma with granulomatous reaction mimicking tuberculosis. Histopathology 1988;13:339–46.
- Khurram M, Tariq M, Shahid P. Breast cancer with associated granulomatous axillary lymphadenitis: A diagnostic and clinical dilemma in regions with high prevalence of tuberculosis. Pathol Res Pract 2007; 203(10):699-704.