Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, Sri Guru Ramdass Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Amritsar, Punjab, India
Chondrosarcoma is a mesenchymal tumor composed of tumor cells producing cartilage. It is more common in older age and often affects the axial skeleton. We report a rare case of chondrosarcoma mimicking a sellar and suprasellar mass with parasellar extension. A 40 yr woman presented with decreasing visual acuity and headache. Magnetic resonance (MR) image revealed a cystic sellar and suprasellar mass with parasellar extension showing mild enhancing solid component. It favored the diagnosis of craniopharyngioma. The patient underwent trans-sphenoidal partial resection of the tumor resulting in removal of the sellar mass. However, the suprasellar mass could not be excised completely due to limited surgical field. The pathologic diagnosis was chondrosarcoma. Eight months after the operation, pterional approach was performed to remove the remaining mass. Intraoperative findings confirmed that the mass originated from dorsum sellae.
- Allan CA, Kaltsas G, Evanson J, Geddes J, Lowe DG, Plowman PN, et al. Pituitary chondrosarcoma: an unusual cause of a sellar mass presenting as a pituitary adenoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001; 86(1):386-91.
- Chung YS, Gwak HS, Jung HW, Park HJ, Paek HS, Kim DG, et al. Intracranial chordomas and chondrosarcomas : the effectiveness of surgery and radiation therapy. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 2000; 29:910-7.
- Bloch OG, Jian JB, Yang I, Han SJ, Aranda D, Ahn BJ, et al. A systematic review of intracranial chondrosarcoma and survival. J Clin Neurosci 2009; 16(12):1547-51.
- Chu PY, Wei CP, Tsai YF, Teng TH, Lee CC. Chondrosarcoma of the Skull Base-Report of Two Cases. Tzu Chi Med J 2006; 18:229-31.
- Kunanandam V, Gooding MR. Parasellar chondrosarcoma: total excision improves prognosis. Br J Neurosurg 1995; 9:87-91.
- Arpino L, Capuano C, Gravina M, Franco A. Parasellar myxoid chondrosarcoma: a rare variant of cranial chondrosarcoma. J Neurosurg Sci 2011; 55(4):387-9.
- Inenaga C, Morii K, Tamura T, Tanaka R, Takahashi H. Mesenchymal chondrosarcoma of the sellar region. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2003; 145(7):593-7.
- Freda PU, Wardlaw SL, Post KD. Unusual causes of sellar/parasellar masses in a large transsphenoidal surgical series. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996; 81:3455–9.
- Gay E, Sekhar LN, Rubinstein E, Wright DC, Sen C, Janecka IP, et al. Chordomas and chondrosarcomas of the cranial base: results and follow-up of 60 patients. Neurosurgery 1995; 36:887–96.
- Korten AG, Ter Berg HJ, Spincemaille GH, Vander Laan RT, Van de Wel AM. Intracranial chondrosarcoma: review of the literature and report of 15 cases. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1998; 65:88-92.
- Suit HD, Goitein M, Munzenrider J, Verhey L, Davis KR, Koehler A, et al. Definitive radiation therapy for chordoma and chondrosarcoma of the base of skull and cervical spine. J Neurosurg 1982; 56:377-85.
- Rosenberg AE, Nielsen GP, Keel SB, Renard LG, Fitzek MM, Munzenrider JE, et al. Chondrosarcoma of the base of the skull: a clinicopathologic study of 200 cases with emphasis on its distinction from chordoma. Am J Surg Pathol 1999; 23:1370-8.
- Ishida T, Dorfman H. Chondroid chordoma versus low-grade chondrosarcoma of the base of the skull: can immunohistochemistry resolve the controversy? J Neuro-oncol 1994; 18;199-206.
- Salisbury JR, Isaacson PG. Distinguishing chordoma from chondrosarcoma by immunohistochemical techniques. J Pathol 1986; 148:251–2.
- Kwon AH, Gwak HS, Youn MS, Rhee CH. A Case of Pituitary Fossa Chondrosarcoma Mimicking Sellar and Suprasellar Mass. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 2004; 36:499-502.
- Austin-Seymour M, Munzenrider J, Goitein M, Verhey L, Urie M, Gentry R, et al. Fractionated proton radiation therapy of chordoma and low-grade chondrosarcoma of the base of the skull. J Neurosurg 1989; 70:13–7.
- Muthukumar N, Kondziolka D, Lunsford LD. Stereotactic radiosurgery for chordoma and chondrosarcoma: further experiences. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1998; 41:387–92.