Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, AJA University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ovarian hemangiomas are benign and rare tumors of female genital tract with less than 60 reported cases in the literature. A 38- yr- old woman was admitted to Be’sat Hospital, Tehran, Iran in 2012, due to severe abdominal pain. Ultrasound evaluation revealed a 6 cm left ovarian cystic mass and serum tumor markers were normal. Then, left salpingo-oophorectomy was performed for the patient. Microscopic examination revealed a follicular cyst and an incidental cavernous hemangioma consisting thin-walled vascular channels filled with blood that lined with flatten endothelial cells. In IHC staining strong immunoreactivity for CD31 and CD34 were seen, finally, the diagnosis of primary ovarian hemangioma, cavernous-type was made. The clinicopathologic presentation of this unusual benign tumor is discussed.
How to cite this article:
Ziari K, Alizadeh K. Ovarian Hemangioma: a Rare Case Report and Review of the Literature. Iran J Pathol 2016; 11(1): 61-65.
- Mirilas P, Georgiou G, Zevgolis G. Ovarian cavernous hemangioma in an 8-year-old girl. Eur J Pediatr Surg 1999;9(2):116-8.
- Uppal S, Heller DS, Majmudar B. Ovarian hemangioma--report of three cases and review of the literature. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2004;270(1):1-5.
- Gupta R, Singh S, Nigam S, Khurana N. Benign vascular tumors of female genital tract. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2006;16(3):1195-200.
- Rodriguez MA. Hemangioma of the ovary in an 81-year-old woman. South Med J 1979;72(4):503-4.
- Alvarez M, Cerezo L. Ovarian cavernous hemangioma. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1986;110(1):77-8.
- Payne J. Vascular tumors of the liver, suprarenal capsules and other organs. Trans Path Soc London 1869;20:203.
- Pethe VV, Chitale SV, Godbole RN, Bidaye SV. Hemangioma of the ovary--a case report and review of literature. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 1991;34(4):290-2.
- Talerman A. Hemangiomas of the ovary and the uterine cervix. Obstetrics & Gynecology 1967;30(1):108-13.
- Gehrig PA, Fowler WC, Jr., Lininger RA. Ovarian capillary hemangioma presenting as an adnexal mass with massive ascites and elevated CA-125. Gynecol Oncol 2000;76(1):130-2.
- Miliaras D, Papaemmanouil S, Blatzas G. Ovarian capillary hemangioma and stromal luteinization: a case study with hormonal receptor evaluation. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 2001;22(5):369-71.
- DiOrio J, Jr., Lowe LC. Hemangioma of the ovary in pregnancy: a case report. J Reprod Med 1980;24(5):232-4.
- Carder PJ, Gouldesbrough DR. Ovarian haemangiomas and stromal luteinization. Histopathology 1995;26(6):585-6.
- Kim MY, Rha SE, Oh SN, Lee YJ, Jung ES, Byun JY. Case report: Ovarian cavernous haemangioma presenting as a heavily calcified adnexal mass. Br J Radiol 2008;81(971):e269-71.
- Mitra B, Sengupta S, Rai A, Mehta J, Quader AR, Roy S, et al. Ovarian haemangioma: A rare case report. Int J Surg Case Rep 2013;4(11):981-4.
- Feuerstein IM, Aronson BL, McCarthy EF. Bilateral ovarian cystic teratomata mimicking bilateral pure ovarian hemangiomata: case report. Int J Gynecol Pathol 1984;3(4):393-7.
- Akbulut M, Bir F, Colakoglu N, Soysal ME, Duzcan SE. Ovarian hemangioma occurring synchronously with serous papillary carcinoma of the ovary and benign endometrial polyp. Ann Saudi Med 2008;28(2):128-31.