Document Type : Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Surgery Ward, Atieh Hospital, Tehran, Iran
There are few reported cases of endobronchial metastasis of pheochromocytoma literature. We present here a 56-year old woman who underwent left lower lobectomy of lung, following pneumonia with unresolved chest radiographs. Computed tomography showed a lobulated soft tissue mass, measuring, 38×27 mm, at the perivascular space of anterior mediastinum. The resected specimen, showed lobulated tumor arranged in nesting pattern within arcuate vascular network. Immunohistochemistry showed intense positive staining of epitheloid cell (chief cells) for chromogranin and synaptophysin which were negative for cytokeratin. Sustentacular cells were strongly positive for S-100. Although very rare, physicians should keep in mind the possibility of endobronchial metastasis in patients with a history of pheochromocytoma.
- Ota K, Satoh H, Lin SY, Fujita J, Ohara G, Kurishima K, et al. Endobronchial metastasis from adrenocortical carcinoma. Intern Med 2009;48(13):1161-4.
- Akoglu S, Uçan ES, Çelik G, Şener G, Sevinc C, Kılınç O. Endobronchial metastases from extrathoracic malignancies. Clin and Exp Metastasis 2005;22(7):587–591.
- Sandur S, Dasgupta A, Shapiro JL, Arroliga AC, Mehta AC. Thoracic Involvement With Pheochromocytoma:a review. Chest 1999;115(2):511.
- Kwon HJ, Park JH, Jin GY, Chung MJ, Lim ST, Kim MH, et al. Posterior mediastinal paraganglioma with bilateral adrenal pheochromocytoma. Respir Med 2004;98(6):574–576.
- Skødt V, Jacobsen GK, Helsted M. Primary paraganglioma of the lung Report of two cases and review of the literature. APMIS 1995;103(7-8):597–603.
- Shibahara J, Goto A, Niki T, Tanaka M, Nakajima J, Fukayama M. Primary pulmonary paraganglioma: report of a functioning case with immunohistochemical and ultrastructural study. Am J Surg Pathol 2004;28(6):825-9.
- Goodman ML, Laforet EG. Solitary primary chemodectomas of the lung. Chest 1972; 61(1):48.
- Erickson D, Kudva YC, Ebersold MJ, Thompson GB, Grant CS, van Heerden JA, et al. Benign paragangliomas: clinical presentation and treatment outcomes in 236 patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001;86(11):5210-6.
- Aubertine CL, Flieder DB. Primary paraganglioma of the lung. Ann Diag Pathol 2004;8(4):237–41.
- Kee AR, Forrest CH, Brennan BA, Papadimitriou JM, Glancy RJ. Gangliocytic Paraganglioma of the bronchus: a case report with follow-up and ultrastructural assessment. Am J Surg Pathol 2003;27(10):1380-5.