Document Type : Original Research
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
Background & Objective: There is currently inadequate information about the expression of immunohistochemical markers in pediatric tumors. Paired box genes 2 and 8 (PAX2 and PAX8) genes have an essential role in kidney organogenesis. This study aimed to investigate the IHC expression of PAX2 and PAX8 in Wilms tumor. Such study would be helpful in diagnosis and possibly in differentiation of this tumor from other mimics, especially in those of poorly differentiated type in small needle biopsy specimens.
Methods: We performed a cross-sectional study on 45 Wilms tumor cases referred to Bahrami pediatric hospital between 2005 and 2015. Demographic data were collected from medical documents. Sections from related paraffin blocks were provided by the tissue microarray method, and immunohistochemical (IHC) staining was done for PAX8 and PAX2.
Results: The mean tumor size was 9.98±4.95 cm. Favorable histology was seen in 84.4% of samples. PAX2 was expressed in 41 cases (91.1%), and PAX8 in 37 patients (82.2%). PAX2 and PAX8 expression was mostly seen in both blastemal and epithelial components (77.8% and 66.6%), respectively. Tumors with favorable and unfavorable histology did not significantly differ in PAX2 and PAX8 expression (P=0.637). We found a statically significant relationship between PAX8 expression and tumor size (P=0.033).
Conclusion: PAX2 and PAX8 markers might helpful in diagnosis of Wilms tumor and may differentiate it from other histologically similar kidney tumors. PAX8 expression may be associated with larger tumor size. Tumors with favorable and unfavorable histology may not be different in PAX2 and PAX8 expression.
- Varan A. Wilms' tumor in children: an overview. Nephron Clinical Practice. 2008;108(2):c83-c90. [DOI:10.1159/000113012] [PMID]
- Lonergan GJ, Martinez-Leon MI, Agrons GA, Montemarano H, Suarez ES. Nephrogenic rests, nephroblastomatosis, and associated lesions of the kidney. Radiographics. 1998;18(4):947-68. [DOI:10.1148/radiographics.18.4.9672980] [PMID]
- Frank JD, Gearhart JP, Snyder HM. Operative pediatric urology: Churchill Livingstone; 2002.
- Dressler GR. The cellular basis of kidney development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2006;22:509-29. [DOI:10.1146/annurev.cellbio.22.010305.104340] [PMID]
- Eccles MR, He S, Legge M, Kumar R, Fox J, Zhou C, et al. PAX genes in development and disease: the role of PAX2 in urogenital tract development. International Journal of Developmental Biology. 2004;46(4):535-44.
- Tong G-X, Woojin MY, Beaubier NT, Weeden EM, Hamele-Bena D, Mansukhani MM, et al. Expression of PAX8 in normal and neoplastic renal tissues: an immunohistochemical study. Modern Pathology. 2009;22(9):1218-27. [DOI:10.1038/modpathol.2009.88] [PMID]
- Ozcan A, De La Roza G, Ro JY, Shen SS, Truong LD. PAX2 and PAX8 expression in primary and metastatic renal tumors: a comprehensive comparison. Archives of pathology & laboratory medicine. 2012;136(12):1541-51. [DOI:10.5858/arpa.2012-0072-OA] [PMID]
- Bouchard M, Souabni A, Mandler M, Neubüser A, Busslinger M. Nephric lineage specification by Pax2 and Pax8. Genes & development. 2002;16(22):2958-70. [DOI:10.1101/gad.240102] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Narlis M, Grote D, Gaitan Y, Boualia SK, Bouchard M. Pax2 and pax8 regulate branching morphogenesis and nephron differentiation in the developing kidney. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2007;18(4):1121-9. [DOI:10.1681/ASN.2006070739] [PMID]
- Grote D, Souabni A, Busslinger M, Bouchard M. Pax2/8-regulated Gata3 expression is necessary for morphogenesis and guidance of the nephric duct in the developing kidney. Development. 2006;133(1):53-61. [DOI:10.1242/dev.02184] [PMID]
- Daniel L, Lechevallier E, Giorgi R, Sichez H, Zattara-Cannoni H, Figarella-Branger D, et al. Pax-2 expression in adult renal tumors. Human pathology. 2001;32(3):282-7. [DOI:10.1053/hupa.2001.22753] [PMID]
- Eccles M, Wallis L, Fidler A, Spurr N, Goodfellow P, Reeve A. Expression of the PAX2 gene in human fetal kidney and Wilms' tumor. Cell Growth Differ. 1992;3(5):279-89.
- Poleev A, Fickenscher H, Mundlos S, Winterpacht A, Zabel B, Fidler A, et al. PAX8, a human paired box gene: isolation and expression in developing thyroid, kidney and Wilms' tumors. Development. 1992;116(3):611-23. [DOI:10.1242/dev.116.3.611] [PMID]
- Tong G-X, Weeden EM, Hamele-Bena D, Huan Y, Unger P, Memeo L, et al. Expression of PAX8 in nephrogenic adenoma and clear cell adenocarcinoma of the lower urinary tract: evidence of related histogenesis? The American journal of surgical pathology. 2008;32(9):1380-7. [DOI:10.1097/PAS.0b013e31816b1020] [PMID]
- Tagge EP, Hanson P, Re GG, Othersen Jr HB, Smith CD, Garvin AJ. Paired box gene expression in Wilms' tumor. Journal of pediatric surgery. 1994;29(2):134-41. [DOI:10.1016/0022-3468(94)90308-5]
- Khouja MH, Baekelandt M, Sarab A, Nesland JM, Holm R. Limitations of tissue microarrays compared with whole tissue sections in survival analysis. Oncology letters. 2010;1(5):827-31. [DOI:10.3892/ol_00000145] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Kononen J, Bubendorf L, Kallionimeni A, Bärlund M, Schraml P, Leighton S, et al. Tissue microarrays for high-throughput molecular profiling of tumor specimens. Nature medicine. 1998;4(7):844-7. [DOI:10.1038/nm0798-844] [PMID]
- Mills SE, Fechner RE, Frierson HF, Kempson RL, Wick MR, Dehner LP, et al. Guardians of the wax… and the patient. American journal of clinical pathology. 1995;104(4):365-7. [DOI:10.1093/ajcp/104.4.365] [PMID]
- Camp RL, Charette LA, Rimm DL. Validation of tissue microarray technology in breast carcinoma. Laboratory investigation. 2000;80(12):1943-9. [DOI:10.1038/labinvest.3780204] [PMID]
- Griffin MC, Robinson RA, Trask DK. Validation of tissue microarrays using p53 immunohistochemical studies of squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx. Modern pathology. 2003;16(12):1181-8. [DOI:10.1097/01.MP.0000097284.40421.D6] [PMID]
- Kuwabara S, Ajioka Y, Watanabe H, Hitomi J, Nishikura K, Hatakeyama K. Heterogeneity of p53 mutational status in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Japanese journal of cancer research. 1998;89(4):405-10. [DOI:10.1111/j.1349-7006.1998.tb00578.x] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Baisse B, Bouzourene H, Saraga EP, Bosman FT, Benhattar J. Intratumor genetic heterogeneity in advanced human colorectal adenocarcinoma. International journal of cancer. 2001;93(3):346-52. [DOI:10.1002/ijc.1343] [PMID]
- Nonaka D, Tang Y, Chiriboga L, Rivera M, Ghossein R. Diagnostic utility of thyroid transcription factors Pax8 and TTF-2 (FoxE1) in thyroid epithelial neoplasms. Modern Pathology. 2008;21(2):192-200. [DOI:10.1038/modpathol.3801002] [PMID]
- Laury AR, Hornick JL, Perets R, Krane JF, Corson J, Drapkin R, et al. PAX8 reliably distinguishes ovarian serous tumors from malignant mesothelioma. The American journal of surgical pathology. 2010;34(5):627-35. [DOI:10.1097/PAS.0b013e3181da7687] [PMID]
- Knoepp SM, Kunju LP, Roh MH. Utility of PAX8 and PAX2 immunohistochemistry in the identification of renal cell carcinoma in diagnostic cytology. Diagnostic cytopathology. 2012;40(8):667-72. [DOI:10.1002/dc.21590] [PMID]
- Arva NC, Bonadio J, Perlman EJ, Cajaiba MM. Diagnostic utility of Pax8, Pax2, and NGFR immunohistochemical expression in pediatric renal tumors. Applied immunohistochemistry & molecular morphology. 2018;26(10):721-6. [DOI:10.1097/PAI.0000000000000520] [PMID]
- Verschuur AC, Vujanic GM, Van Tinteren H, Jones KP, de Kraker J, Sandstedt B. Stromal and epithelial predominant Wilms tumours have an excellent outcome: the SIOP 93 01 experience. Pediatric blood & cancer. 2010;55(2):233-8. [DOI:10.1002/pbc.22496] [PMID]
- Charles A, Vujanic G, Berry P. Renal tumours of childhood. Histopathology. 1998;32(4):293-309. [DOI:10.1046/j.1365-2559.1998.00344.x] [PMID]
- Hrabovsky EE, Othersen Jr HB, deLorimier A, Kelalis P, Beckwith JB, Takashima J. Wilms' tumor in the neonate: a report from the National Wilms' Tumor Study. Journal of pediatric surgery. 1986;21(5):385-7. [DOI:10.1016/S0022-3468(86)80502-4]
- Hemaatyar M, Robat Mili M. Comparison of clinical manifestation, age and sex distribution in childhood Wilms' tumor and neuroblastoma in Tehran Children Medical Center hospital. Medical Science Journal of Islamic Azad Univesity-Tehran Medical Branch. 2006;16(3):161-4.
- Breslow N, Olshan A, Beckwith JB, Green DM. Epidemiology of Wilms tumor. Medical and pediatric oncology. 1993;21(3):172-81. [DOI:10.1002/mpo.2950210305] [PMID]