Document Type : Case Reports
Dept. Of Pathology, the West Bengal University of Health Sciences, Kolkata, India
Dept. Of Pathology, Baba Farid University of Health Sciences , Kolkata, India
Giant cell carcinoma of the endometrium is a rare and an aggressive tumor that should be distinguished from other endometrial tumors with a prominent giant cell component, including trophoblastic tumors, certain primary sarcomas, and malignant mixed müllerian tumors. At present, cumulative data on this rare histological variant is limited and the prognostic significance of the presence and the extent of a giant cell component in endometrial carcinoma remain uncertain. We report giant cell carcinoma of endometrium in an Indian female, which according to our best knowledge, is the first case being reported from Indian Subcontinent.
- Kumar V, Abbas KA, Fausto N. Robbins and Cotran Pathologic basis of disease. 7th ed. Philadelphia:Elsevier;2004.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Xu J, Ward E. Cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin 2010; 60(5):277-300.
- Soslow RA, Bissonnette JP, Wilton A, Ferguson SE, Alektiar KM, Duska LR et al. Clinicopathologic analysis of 187 high-grade endometrial carcinomas of different histologic subtypes: similar outcomes belie distinctive biologic differences. Am J Surg Pathol 2007;31:979–87.
- Jones MA, Young RH, Scully RE. Endometrial adenocarcinoma with a component of giant cell carcinoma. Int J Gynecol Patho 1991;10(3):260-70.
- Mulligan AM, Plotkin A, Rouzbahman M, Soslow RA, Gilks CB, Clarke BA. Endometrial giant cell carcinoma: a case series and review of the spectrum of endometrial neoplasms containing giant cells. Am J Surg Pathol 2010;34(8):1132-8.
- Waldmann J, Stachs A, Terpe H, Stropahl G, Makovitzky J. Smooth Muscle Tumours of the Uterine Corpus: a Clinicopathologic Study with Immunohistochemical Aspects. Anticancer Research 2005;25(3A): 1559-66.
- Costa MJ, Khan R, Judd R. Carcinosarcoma (malignant mixed mullerian tumour) of the uterus and ovary. Correlation of clinical, pathologic and immunohistochemical features in 29 cases. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1991;115(6):583-90.
- Huener PC, Garsell DJ. Placental site nodule: a clinicopathological study of 38 cases. Int J Gynecol Pathol 1994;13(3):191-8.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. ACOG practice bulletin, clinical management guidelines for obstetrician-gynecologists, number 65, August 2005: management of endometrial cancer.
- Obstet Gynecol. 2005;106(2):413-25.
- Sonoda Y. Optimal therapy and management of endometrial cancer. Expert Rev Anti Cancer Ther 2003;31(1):37-47.