Document Type : Case Reports
Department of Pathology, Father Muller’s Medical College, Mangalore, India
Hamartomatous polyps of the palatine tonsil are very rare. They have been variously termed as a lymphangiectatic fibrous polyp, lipoma, pedunculated tonsil etc. in the English literature. We present here a case of hamartomatous polyp of the tonsil occurring in a 32-year-old male who presented with bilateral enlarged palatine tonsils with recurrent tonsillitis. Surgical excision showed two pale brown nodular tissue bits, larger measuring 4x3x1 cm and smaller measuring 3.5x2.5x1.5 cm. An irregular pedunculated polypoidal tissue measuring 1.5x1x0.8cm was seen attached to the smaller mass, the cut surface of which showed pale white, lobulated areas. On histological examination, the polyp showed lining by stratified squamous epithelium and was composed of fibrocollagenous stroma with many dilated blood vessels, adipocytes, subepithelial lymphoid aggregates and benign mucinous glands suggestive of a hamartomatous polyp. Both the tonsils showed features of chronic tonsillitis.
- Hiraide F, Inouye T, Tanaka E. Lymphangiectatic fibrous polyp of the palatine. J Laryngol Otol 1985; 99:403-9.
- Shara KA, Al-Muhana AA, Al-Shennawy M. Hamartomatous tonsillar polyp. J Laryngol Otol 1991; 105:1089-90.
- Lupovitch A, Salama D, Batmanghelichi O. Benign hamartomatous polyp of the palatine tonsil. J Laryngol Otol 1993; 107:1073-5.
- Begin LR, Frenkiel S. Polypoid lipoma of the palatine tonsil. J Laryngol Otol 1993;107:556-8.
- Prikas KG, Bingham BJ. Torsion of the palatine tonsil. J Laryngol Otol 1996;110:891-2.
- Ohtsuki Y, Kurita N, Iguchi M, Kurbayashi A, Matsumoto M, Takeuchi T, et al. A pedunculated hamartomatous polyp of the palatine tonsil. Biomed Res 2006;17(3):155-8.
- Kardon DE, Wenig BM, Heffner DK, Thompson LD. Tonsillar lymphangiomatous polyps:a clinicopathologic series of 26 cases. Mod Pathol 2000; 13:1128-3.
- Na HG, Bae CH, Kim YD, Song SY. A case of Hamartoma Originated from the Palatine Tonsil. Korean J Otorhinolaryngol-Head Neck Surg 2011; 54(10):731-3.
- Harada H, Kashiwagi S, Morimatsu M, Kameyama T, Takahashi M. Tonsillar lipoma: A case report. J laryngol Otol 1995; 109:662-4.
- Barreto I, Costa AF, Martins MT, Furuse C, de Araujo VC, Altemani A. Immunohistochemical study of stromal and vascular components of tonsillar polyps: high endothelial venules as participants of the polyp’s lymphoid tissue. Virchows Arch 2011; 459(1):65-71.