Document Type : Case Reports
Solid Tumor Research Center, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Urmia, Iran
Dept. of Surgery,Faculty of Medicine, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Urmia, Iran
Dept. of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Urmia, Iran
Cutaneous leiomyosarcoma is a relatively rare tumor accounts for about 2-3% of superficial soft tissue sarcomas. It occurs more frequently in males in fifth and sixth decades with a predilection for extremities. We report a 27 years old male with cutaneous leiomyosarcoma of thigh, previously diagnosed as pleomorphicfibroma. The tumor composed of pleomorphic spindle shaped cells with blunt ended nuclei and high mitotic activity. Smooth muscle actin was positive. In this case, the young age of the patient and previous misdiagnosis of the tumor are interesting. Subtle histologic features of low grade leiomyosarcoma can be a pitfall in diagnosis and so affects the optimal management of the patient as it occurred in previous sample of this case.
- 1.Karakatsani SA, Nikolidakis A, Tsavdaris G, Hotzoglou N, Krokos N, Kamas A. Cutaneous leiomyosarcoma of the scalp. A case report and short review. Hellen J Surg 2012;84 (5): 324-6.
- 2.Limaiem F, Chally I, Bellil S, Mekni A, Nidhameddine K, Haouet S, et al. Primary cutaneous leiomyosarcoma: a histological and immunohistochemical study of 4 cases. Egypt Dermatol Online J 2007;3(1):3.
- Pol RA, Dannenberg H, Robertus JL, Ginkel RJV. Cutaneous leiomyosarcoma arising in a smallpox scar. World J Surg Oncol 2012;10:148.
- Elder DE, Elenitsas R, Johnson BL, Murphy GF, Xu X. Lever’s Histopathology Of The Skin. 10th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009.
- 5.Massi D, Franchi A, Alos L, Cook M, Di Palma S, Enguita AB, et al. Primary cutaneous leiomyosarcoma: clinicopathological analysis of 36 cases. Histopathology 2010;56(2):251-62.
- Andre MC, Antunes JV, Reis MD, Fillipe PL, Almeida LMS. Cutaneous leiomyosarcoma on the trunk. An Bras Dermatol 2011; 86(5): 999-1002.
- 7.Agale SV, Grover S, Zode R, Hande S. Primary Cutaneous Leiomyosarcoma. Indian J Dermatol 2011;56(6):728-30.
- 8.Kaddu s, Beham A, Cerroni L, Humer- Fuchs U, Salmhofer W, Keri H. Cutaneous leiomyosarcoma. Am J Surg Pathol 1997; 21(9):979-87.
- 9.Yadav YK, kushwaha R, Sharma U, Gupta K. Cytomorphology of pleomorphic fibroma of skin: A diagnostic enigma. J Cytol 2013; 30(1):71-3.
- Goldblum JR, Folpe AL, Weiss SW. Enzinger & Weiss Soft Tissue Tumors. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders;2014.