Document Type : Original Research
Solid Tumor Research Center, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Urmia, Iran
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Urmia, Iran
Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Urmia, Iran
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Urmia, Iran
Background & Objective: Interleukin-6 (IL-6) is involved in inflammation and has a significant role in chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) progression. Accordingly, IL-6 level may increase in CLL-affected patients compared to healthy individuals. The -174G>C single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) in IL-6 promoter region has been related to differences in IL-6 transcription. Therefore, we investigated the possible association of IL-6 polymorphism with CLL.
Methods: We examined the -174G>C SNP in IL-6 gene and studied its possible relationship with CLL in affected patients and in healthy controls using Amplification Refractory Mutation System- polymerase chain reaction genotyping method. IL-6 plasma level was measured in both studied groups.
Results: According to the results, IL-6 mean plasma concentration was increased significantly in the CLL patients compared to the controls. However, 174G>C genotype of the IL-6 gene was not associated with CLL. Furthermore, there were no significant differences in the distribution of allele and genotype frequencies between the CLL-affected patients and the controls (P>0.05).
Conclusion: Our study showed that -174G>C SNP in promotor of IL-6 gene could not be considered a risk factor for CLL. Larger prospective studies should be performed to confirm our results.
- Hulkkonen J, Vilpo J, Vilpo L, Koski T, Hurme M. Interleukin-1 beta, interleukin-1 receptor antagonist and interleukin-6 plasma levels and cytokine gene polymorphisms in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: correlation with prognostic parameters. Haematologica. 2000; 85(6):600-6. [PMID]
- Salari N, Mansouri K, Hosseinian-Far A, Ghasemi H, Mohammadi M, Jalali R, et al. The effect of polymorphisms (174G> C and 572C> G) on the Interleukin-6 gene in coronary artery disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Genes Environ. 2021; 12; 43(1):1. [DOI:10.1186/s41021-021-00172-8] [PMID]
- Tian G, Mi J, Wei X, Zhao o, Qiao L, Yang C, et al. Circulating interleukin-6 and cancer: A meta-analysis using Mendelian randomization. Sci Rep. 2015; 5, 11394. [DOI:10.1038/srep11394] [PMID]
- Ennas MG, Moore PS, Zucca M, Angelucci E, Cabras MG, Melis M, et al. Interleukin-1B (IL1B) and interleukin-6 (IL6) gene polymorphisms are associated with risk of chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. Hematol Oncol. 2008; 26(2):98-103. [DOI:10.1002/hon.843] [PMID]
- Ma H, Sun G, Wang W, Zhou Y, Liu D, Tong Y, Lu Z. Association Between Interleukin-6 -572 C>G and -174 G>C Polymorphisms and Hypertension: A Meta-analysis of Case-control Studies. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95(2):e2416. [DOI:10.1097/MD.0000000000002416] [PMID]
- Zhang X, Liu RY, Lei Z, Zhu Y, Huang JA, Jiang X, et al. Genetic variants in interleukin-6 modified risk of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Int J Mol Med. 2009; 2:485-93. [DOI:10.3892/ijmm_00000155] [PMID]
- Hashemi M, Jalali Kondori B, Esmaeili Gouvarchin Ghaleh H, Rostami S. Association between rs 1800561 CD38 Gene Polymorphism and Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Risk. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2020; 30 (191):102-8.
- Peng X., Shi J., Sun W., Ruan X., Guo Y., Zhao L., Wang J., Li B. Genetic polymorphisms of IL-6 promoter in cancer susceptibility and prognosis: a meta-analysis. Oncotarget. 2018; 9: 12351-64. [DOI:10.18632/oncotarget.24033] [PMID]
- Allegra A, Musolino C, Tonacci A, Pioggia G, Casciaro M, Gangemi S. Clinico-Biological Implications of Modified Levels of Cytokines in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: A Possible Therapeutic Role. Cancers (Basel). 2020;12(2):524. [DOI:10.3390/cancers12020524] [PMID]
- Popko K, Gorska E, Demkow U. Influence of interleukin-6 and G174C polymorphism in IL-6 gene on obesity and energy balance. Eur J Med Res. 2010; 15 Suppl 2(Suppl 2):123-7. [DOI:10.1186/2047-783X-15-S2-123] [PMID]
- Walch K, Grimm C, Zeillinger R, Huber JC, Nagele F, Hefler LA. A common interleukin-6 gene promoter polymorphism influences the clinical characteristics of women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2004; 81(6):1638-41. [DOI:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2004.01.021] [PMID]
- Fishman D,Faulds G,Jeffrey R, Mohamed-Ali V, Yudkin J.S, Humphries S, et al. The effect of novel polymorphisms in the interleukin-6 (IL-6) gene on IL-6 transcription and plasma IL-6 levels, and an association with systemic-onset juvenile chronic arthritis.J Clin Invest. 1998; 102: 1369-76. [DOI:10.1172/JCI2629] [PMID]
- Ramis IB, Vianna JS, Gonçalves CV, von Groll A, Dellagostin OA, da Silva PEA. Polymorphisms of the IL-6, IL-8 and IL-10 genes and the risk of gastric pathology in patients infected with Helicobacter pylori. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2017; 50(2):153-9. [DOI:10.1016/j.jmii.2015.03.002] [PMID]
- DeMichele A, Martin AM, Mick R, Gor P, Wray L, Klein-Cabral M, Athanasiadis G, Colligan T, Stadtmauer E, Weber B. Interleukin-6 -174G-->C polymorphism is associated with improved outcome in high-risk breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2003; 63:8051-6.
- Ahirwar D, Kesarwani P, Manchanda PK, Mandhani A, Mittal RD. Anti- and proinflammatory cytokine gene polymorphism and genetic predisposition: association with smoking, tumor stage and grade, and bacillus Calmette-Guérin immunotherapy in bladder cancer. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2008; 184(1):1-8. [DOI:10.1016/j.cancergencyto.2008.02.015] [PMID]
- Lagmay JP, London WB, Gross TG, Termuhlen A, Sullivan N, Axel A, Mundy B, Ranalli M, Canner J, McGrady P, Hall B. Prognostic significance of interleukin-6 single nucleotide polymorphism genotypes in neuroblastoma: rs1800795 (promoter) and rs8192284 (receptor). Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:5234-9. [DOI:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-2953] [PMID]
- Gomes M, Coelho A, Araújo A, Azevedo A, Teixeira AL, Catarino R, Medeiros R. IL-6 polymorphism in non-small cell lung cancer: a prognostic value? Tumour Biol. 2015; 36(5):3679-84. [DOI:10.1007/s13277-014-3006-6] [PMID]
- Totaro F, Cimmino F, Pignataro P, Acierno G, De Mariano M, Longo L, et al. Impact of interleukin-6 -174 G>C gene promoter polymorphism on neuroblastoma. PLoS One. 2013; 8(10):e76810. [DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0076810] [PMID]
- Zhai K, Yang Y, Gao ZG, Ding J. Interleukin-6-174G>C gene promoter polymorphism and prognosis in patients with cancer. Oncotarget. 2017; 8(27):44490-7. [DOI:10.18632/oncotarget.17771] [PMID]
- Lai R, O'Brien S, Maushouri T, Rogers A, Kantarjian H, Keating M, et al. Prognostic value of plasma interleukin-6 levels in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer. 2002 Sep 1; 95(5):1071-5. [DOI:10.1002/cncr.10772] [PMID]
- Reittie J, Yong K, Panayiotidus P, Hoffbrand A. Interleukin-6 inhibits apoptosis and tumor necrosis factor induced proliferation of B-chronic lymphocytic leukemia. LeukLymphoma. 1996; 22: 83- 90. [DOI:10.3109/10428199609051732] [PMID]
- Fayad L, Keating MJ, Reuben JM, O'Brien S, Lee BN, Lerner S, Kurzrock R. Interleukin-6 and interleukin-10 levels in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: correlation with phenotypic characteristics and outcome. Blood. 2001 Jan 1;97(1):256-63. [DOI:10.1182/blood.V97.1.256] [PMID]
- Nakajima K, Yamanaka Y, Nakae K, Kojima H, Ichiba M, Kiuchi N, et al. A central role for Stat3 in IL-6-induced regulation of growth and differentiation in M1 leukemia cells. EMBO J. 1996; 15(14):3651-8. [DOI:10.1002/j.1460-2075.1996.tb00734.x] [PMID]
- Belluco C, Olivieri F, Bonafè M, Giovagnetti S, Mammano E, Scalerta R, et al. -174 G>C polymorphism of interleukin 6 gene promoter affects interleukin 6 serum level in patients with colorectal cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2003; 9(6):2173-6. [PMID]
- Mandal S, Abebe F, Chaudhary J. -174G/C polymorphism in the interleukin-6 promoter is differently associated with prostate cancer incidence depending on race. Genet Mol Res. 2014; 13(1):139-51. [DOI:10.4238/2014.January.10.5] [PMID]
- Liu RT, Wang XX, Sun JR, Gao N, Yu WZ. Correlations of IL-6 and IL-10 gene polymorphisms with childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2020; 24(15):8048-56. [DOI: 26355/eurrev_202008_22488] [PMID]
- Alizadeh S, Bohloli S, Abedi A, Mousavi S H, Dargahi H, Jafarzadeh B, Hamrang N, Imani A. Investigation of Leptin, Leukemia Inhibitory Factor (LIF), and IL-6 Serum Levels in Myeloid Leukemia. IJBC. 2010; 2 (4).
- Zheng C, Huang DR, Bergenbrant S, Sundblad A, Osterborg A, Björkholm M, Holm G, Yi Q. Interleukin 6, tumour necrosis factor alpha, interleukin 1beta and interleukin 1 receptor antagonist promoter or coding gene polymorphisms in multiple myeloma. Br J Haematol. 2000; 109(1):39-45. [DOI:10.1046/j.1365-2141.2000.01963.x] [PMID]