Document Type : Case Reports
Dept. of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran
Dept. of Urology, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran
Dept. of Infectious Disease, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran
Dept. of pathology, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran
Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Primary ovarian carcinoid tumors of the ovary are rare and represent less than 0.1% of ovarian malignancy. One of its subtypes is the strumal carcinoid in which the thyroid tissue is seen in intimate association with carcinoid tumor. We here report a 47-year-old woman with strumal carcinoid of the right ovary presented with cessation of menstrual periods in the past 3 months and was referred due to a possible menopause-related symptom. A firm pelvic mass was found in physical examination and a large mass (20 × 15 × 8 cm) in the right ovary was reported in ultrasound evaluation. The spiral CT scan reported masses in both ovaries. The patient underwent total abdominal hysterectomy plus bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. The pathological evaluation revealed strumal carcinoid tumor with thyroid tissue in right ovary and benign cystic teratoma in left ovary. Our case was alive at 8 years after the operation with no disease recurrence.
- Matsuda K, Maehama T, Kanazawa K. Strumal carcinoid tumor of the ovary: a case exhibiting severe constipation associated with PYY. Gynecol Oncol. 2002;87(1):143-5.
- Yamaguchi M, Tashiro H, Motohara K-i, Ohba T, Katabuchi H. Primary strumal carcinoid tumor of the ovary: A pregnant patient exhibiting severe constipation and CEA elevation. Gynecologic Oncology Case Reports. 2013;4:9-12.
- Hayashi T, Haba R, Kushida Y, Kadota K, Katsuki N, Miyai Y, et al. Cytopathologic characteristics of the primary strumal carcinoid tumor of the ovary: A case report with emphasis on differential diagnostic considerations. Diagn Cytopathol. 2013;41(9):812–16.
- Bai X, Li N, Wang F, Li S, Yu Q. Primary ovarian trabecular carcinoid tumor: a case report and literature review. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2010;282(4):407-11.
- Somak R, Shramana M, Vijay S, Nita K. Primary carcinoid tumor of the ovary: a case report. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2008;277(1):79-82.
- Roth LM, Talerman A. The enigma of struma ovarii. Pathology. 2007;39(1):139-46.
- Kawano K, Ushijima K, Fujimoto T, Komai K, Kamura T. Peptide YY producing strumal carcinoid of the ovary as the cause of severe constipation with contralateral epithelial ovarian cancer. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2007;33(3):392-6.
- Matsunami K, Takagi H, Ichigo S, Murase T, Ikeda T, Imai A. Peptide YY producing strumal carcinoid tumor of the ovary. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2011;32(2):201-2.
- Ashton MA. Strumal carcinoid of the ovary associated with hyperinsulinaemic hypoglycaemia and cutaneous melanosis. Histopathology. 1995;27(5):463-7.
- Gorin I, Sastre-Garau X. Strumal carcinoid tumor of the ovary. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26(16):2780-1.
- Robboy SJ, Scully RE. Strumal carcinoid of the ovary: an analysis of 50 cases of a distinctive tumor composed of thyroid tissue and carcinoid. Cancer. 1980;46(9):2019-34.
- Soga J, Osaka M, Yakuwa Y. Carcinoids of the ovary: an analysis of 329 reported cases. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2000;19(3):271-80.
- Rabban JT, Lerwill MF, McCluggage WG, Grenert JP, Zaloudek CJ. Primary ovarian carcinoid tumors may express CDX-2: a potential pitfall in distinction from metastatic intestinal carcinoid tumors involving the ovary. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2009;28(1):41-8.
- Kopf B, Rosti G, Lanzanova G, Marangolo M. Locally advanced ovarian carcinoid. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2005;24(2):313-6.
Carcinoid Tumor, Ovarian Neoplasms, Struma Ovarii