Document Type : Short Communication
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Bibinagar, Telangana
Background & Objective: Tissue microarray (TMA) is a method of harvesting small tissue cores from a number of donor paraffin tissue blocks and arraying them in a recipient paraffin block. It has numerous advantages and applications but is expensive. This study aimed to develop a simple yet efficient method of manual, small-format TMA block construction.
Methods: Disposable skin punch biopsy needles were used to manually core out 4-mm cylinders from the archival donor blocks comprising tissue from 60 thyroidectomy specimens. These cores were oriented in the embedding cassette in accordance with the grid design. The molten wax was slowly dispensed and allowed to be set. Sectioning, mounting, and hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) staining were performed by a conventional method. Immunohistochemical studies, using HBME-1, CK19, and S100 antibodies, were also performed on these tissue array sections.
Results: There was no core loss during processing. Technical issues like core tilt and floatation were easily tackled. Morphological identification, histological typing, and immunohistochemical analysis could be satisfactorily performed in these TMA sections. Donor blocks did not break after punching.
Conclusion: This TMA construction method is simple, feasible, easily reproducible, and time-saving. It can serve as an excellent cost-effective alternative for resource-poor laboratories for carrying out immunohistochemical studies.
- Schoenberg FM, Slamon DJ. Frozen tumor tissue microarray technology for analysis of tumor RNA, DNA, and proteins. Am J Pathol 2001;159:1645 50. [DOI:10.1016/S0002-9440(10)63011-8] [PMID]
- Aktas S. Tissue microarray: Current perspectives in pathology. Aegean Pathol J. 2004;1:27-32.
- Singh A, Sau AK. Tissue Microarray: A powerful and rapidly evolving tool for high-throughput analysis of clinical specimens. IJCRI 2010;1(1):1-6. [DOI:10.5348/ijcri-2010-09-1-RA-1]
- Srinath S, Kendole RK, Gopinath P, Krishnappa S, Vishwanath SK. Economic methods used in fabrication of tissue microarray: A pilot study. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol. 2016;20:86-90. [DOI:10.4103/0973-029X.180948] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Girish V, Vijayalakshmi A. Tissue microarrays: Potential in the Indian subcontinent. Indian J Cancer. 2005;42(1):6-10. [DOI:10.4103/0019-509X.15094] [PMID]
- Battifora H. The multitumor (sausage) tissue block: Novel method for immunohistochemical antibody testing. Lab Invest 1986;55:244 8.
- Vogel U. Overview on techniques to construct tissue arrays with special emphasis on tissue microarrays. Microarrays. 2014;3:103-6. [DOI:10.3390/microarrays3020103] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Shebl AM, Zalata KR, Amin MM, El-Hawary AK. An inexpensive method of small paraffin tissue microarrays using mechanical pencil tips. Diagn Pathol. 2011;6:117. [DOI:10.1186/1746-1596-6-117] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Foda AA. No-cost manual method for preparation of tissue microarrays having high quality comparable to semi-automated methods. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2013;21:271-4. [DOI:10.1097/PAI.0b013e318268a93f] [PMID]
- Shi Y, He D, Hou Y, Hu Q, Xu C, Liu Y, et al. An alternative high output tissue microarray technique. Diagn Pathol 2013;8:9. [DOI:10.1186/1746-1596-8-9] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Pires AR, Andreiuolo FD, Rabello de Souza S. TMA for all: A new method for the construction of tissue microarrays without recipient paraffin block using custom-built needles. Diagn Pathol. 2006;1:14. [DOI:10.1186/1746-1596-1-14] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Umasankar P, Vijayan P, Hamza HK, Sideeque A, Ponniah A. A simple and cost effective technique for construction of tissue microarrays. J. Pathol Nepal. 2018;8:1265-70. [DOI:10.3126/jpn.v8i1.19449]
- Choi CH, Kim KH, Song JY, Choi SJ, Kim L, Park IS, et al. Construction of high-density tissue microarray at low cost by using self-made manual microarray kits and recipient paraffin blocks. Korean J Pathol. 2012;46:562-8. [DOI:10.4132/KoreanJPathol.2012.46.6.562] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Hidalgo A, Pina P, Guerrero G, Lazos M, Salcedo M. A simple method for the construction of small format tissue arrays. J Clin Pathol. 2003;56:144-6. [DOI:10.1136/jcp.56.2.144] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Pan CC, Chen PC, Chiang H. An easy method for manual construction of high-density tissue arrays. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2004;12:370-2. [DOI:10.1097/00129039-200412000-00015] [PMID]
- Santos MP, Robeldo TA, Castañeda ED, Pagliarone AC, Pinto KNZ, Borra RC. Tissue microarray: physical and chemical parameters involved in the construction of recipient blocks. J Bras Patol Med Lab. 2017;53(4):261-9. [DOI:10.5935/1676-2444.20170041]
- Yan P, Seelentag W, Bachmann A, Bosman FT. An Agarose Matrix Facilitates Sectioning of Tissue Microarray Blocks. J Histochem Cytochem. 2007;55:21-4. [DOI:10.1369/jhc.6A6987.2006] [PMID]
- LeBaron MJ, Crismon HR, Utama FE, Neilson LM, Sultan AS, Johnson KJ, et al. Ultrahigh density microarrays of solid samples. Nat Meth. 2005;2:511-3. [DOI:10.1038/nmeth772] [PMID]
- Fridman E, Daya D, Srigley J, Whelan KF, Lu JP, Pinthus JH. Construction of tissue microarray from prostate needle biopsies using the vertical clustering re-arrangement technique. Prostate. 2011;71:1374-81. [DOI:10.1002/pros.21352] [PMID]
- McCarthy F, Dennis N, Flohr P, Jhavar S, Parker C, Cooper CS. High-density tissue microarrays from prostate needle biopsies. J Clin Pathol. 2011;64:88-90. [DOI:10.1136/jcp.2010.082339] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Obermann EC, Marienhagen J, Stoehr R, Wuensch PH, Hofstaedter F. Tissue microarray construction from bone marrow biopsies. Biotechniques. 2005;39:822-6. [DOI:10.2144/000112073] [PMID]
- Avninder S, Ylaya K, Hewitt SM. Tissue microarray - A simple technologythat has revolutionized research in pathology. J Postgrad Med. 2008;54(2):158-62. [DOI:10.4103/0022-3859.40790] [PMID]
- Wang SL, Yang CH, Chen HH, Chai CY. A simple and economical method for the manual construction of well-aligned tissue arrays. Pathol Res Pract. 2006;202:485-6. [DOI:10.1016/j.prp.2006.01.014] [PMID]
- Pathak GS, Deshmukh SD, Ashturkar AV. Construction of tissue arrays without prefabricated recipient paraffin block: Experience of a novel technique in resource poor settings. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2011;54:654-5. [DOI:10.4103/0377-4929.85139] [PMID]
- Wan WH, Fortuna MB, Furmanski P. A rapid and efficient method for testing immunohistochemical reactivity of monoclonal antibodies against multiple tissue samples simultaneously. J Immunol Methods. 1987;103:121-9. [DOI:10.1016/0022-1759(87)90249-3] [PMID]
- Chen N, Zhou Q. Constructing tissue microarrays without prefabricating recipient blocks. A novel approach. Am J Clin Pathol. 2005;124:103-7. [DOI:10.1309/LHCJRFBUH8Q6QD3N] [PMID]
- Meng PQ, Hou G, Zhou GY, Peng JP, Dong Q, Zheng S. Application of new tissue microarrayer-ZM-1 without recipient paraffin block. J Zhejiang Univ Sci. 2005;6B:853-8. [DOI:10.1631/jzus.2005.B0853] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Mengel M, Kreipe H, von Wasielewski R. Rapid and large-scale transition of new tumor biomarkers to clinical biopsy material by innovative tissue microarray systems. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morph. 2003;11:261-8. [DOI:10.1097/00129039-200309000-00010] [PMID]
- Miller RT, Groothuis CL. Multitumor -sausage blocks in immunohistochemistry. Simplified method of preparation, practical uses, and roles in quality assurance. Am J Clin Pathol. 1991;96:228-32. [DOI:10.1093/ajcp/96.2.228] [PMID]
- Komina S, Petrusevska G. Fast and inexpensive self-made tissue microarray for immunohistochemical and in situ hybridization studies: Examples with bladder cancer. Ann Pathol Lab Med. 2017;4(1):A83-A88. [DOI:10.21276/apalm.2017.1166]
- Fowler CB, Man YG, Zhang S, O'Leary TJ, Mason JT, Cunningham RE. Tissue microarrays: Construction and uses. Methods Mol Biol 2011;724:23-35. [DOI:10.1007/978-1-61779-055-3_2] [PMID]
- Vogel UF. The construction of high-density paraffin tissue microarrays with 0.43-mm-diameter paraffin tissue core biopsies is technically feasible. Virchows Arch. 2008;453(1):43-6. [DOI:10.1007/s00428-008-0622-9] [PMID]
- Saxena R, Badve S. Tissue Microarray - Construction and Quality Assurance. In education guide/immunohistochemical staining methods Edited by: Kumar GJ, Rudbeck R, 5 2009, chap 7:46.