Document Type : Original Research
Men’s Health and Reproductive Health Research Centre, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Clinical Research and Development Center, Shahid Modarres Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective: Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers in the world. There are some different types of breast cancer and triple-negative breast cancer is the type in which no receptors for estrogen, progesterone, and human epidermal growth factor receptor-2 are expressed. Identifying factors that can facilitate the diagnosis of triple-negative breast cancer is important. In this study, we decided to investigate the expression of GATA3 and GCDFP15 genes in triple-negative breast cancers.
Methods: This is a retrospective descriptive-analytical study that was performed on 50 specimens of samples of triple-negative breast cancer. Data including age and sex, tumor grade, tumor size, types of invasion, GATA-3, and GCDFP-15 were assessed.
Results: The mean age of the patients was 48.3±14.17 years. Of the total specimens, 46% were positive for GCDFP15 and 90% were positive for GATA-3. The intensity of GATA3 was evaluated and it was observed that 33(73.3%) of the cells were strongly stained and 12(26.7%) were weakly stained. There were no relationships between GATA-3 and GCDFP-15 with tumor characteristics.
Conclusion: GATA-3 and GCDFP-15 may serve as diagnostic markers for triple-negative breast cancers and GATA-3 seems to be more reliable.
- Mahvi DA, Liu R, Grinstaff MW, Colson YL, Raut CP. Local Cancer Recurrence: The Realities, Challenges, and Opportunities for New Therapies. CA Cancer J Clin. 2018;68(6):488-505. [DOI:10.3322/caac.21498] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Duggan C, Dvaladze A, Rositch AF, Ginsburg O, Yip CH, Horton S, et al. The breast health global initiative 2018 global summit on improving breast healthcare through resource‐stratified phased implementation: methods and overview. Cancer. 2020;126:2339-52. [DOI:10.1002/cncr.32891] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Sung H, Ferlay J, Siegel RL, Laversanne M, Soerjomataram I, Jemal A, et al. Global Cancer Statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN Estimates of Incidence and Mortality Worldwide for 36 Cancers in 185 Countries. CA Cancer J Clin. 2021;71(3):209-49. [DOI:10.3322/caac.21660] [PMID]
- Nielsen TO, Hsu FD, Jensen K, Cheang M, Karaca G, Hu Z, et al. Immunohistochemical and clinical characterization of the basal-like subtype of invasive breast carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10(16):5367-74. [DOI:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-0220] [PMID]
- Osborne C. Locoregional relapse and distant metastasis in conservatively managed triple negative early-stage breast cancer. Breast Dis. 2008;4(18):401-2. [DOI:10.1016/S1043-321X(07)80435-8]
- Vallejos CS, Gómez HL, Cruz WR, Pinto JA, Dyer RR, Velarde R, et al. Breast cancer classification according to immunohistochemistry markers: subtypes and association with clinicopathologic variables in a peruvian hospital database. Clin Breast Cancer. 2010;10(4):294-300. [DOI:10.3816/CBC.2010.n.038] [PMID]
- Dass SA, Tan KL, Selva Rajan R, Mokhtar NF, Mohd Adzmi ER, Wan Abdul Rahman WF, et al. Triple Negative Breast Cancer: A Review of Present and Future Diagnostic Modalities. Medicina (Kaunas). 2021;57(1):62. [DOI:10.3390/medicina57010062] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Łukasiewicz S, Czeczelewski M, Forma A, Baj J, Sitarz R, Stanisławek A. Breast Cancer-Epidemiology, Risk Factors, Classification, Prognostic Markers, and Current Treatment Strategies-An Updated Review. Cancers. 2021;13(17):4287. [PMID] [PMCID] [DOI:10.3390/cancers13174287]
- McGuire A, Brown J, Malone C, McLaughlin R, Kerin M. Effects of Age on the Detection and Management of Breast Cancer. Cancers, 7, 908-929. 2015. [DOI:10.3390/cancers7020815] [PMID] [PMCID]
- El Hag MI, Hag AM, Ha JP, Michael CW. Comparison of GATA-3, mammaglobin, GCDFP-15 expression in breast carcinoma in serous effusions: A cell-block micro-array study. Pleura Peritoneum. 2017;2(3):143-8. [DOI:10.1515/pp-2017-0014] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Davis DG, Siddiqui MT, Oprea-Ilies G, Stevens K, Osunkoya AO, Cohen C, et al. GATA-3 and FOXA1 expression is useful to differentiate breast carcinoma from other carcinomas. Hum Pathol. 2016;47(1):26-31. [DOI:10.1016/j.humpath.2015.09.015] [PMID]
- El Hag MI, Ha J, Farag R, El Hag AM, Michael CW. Utility of GATA-3 in the work-Up of breast adenocarcinoma and its differential diagnosis in serous effusions:: A Cell-Block Microarray Study. Diagn Cytopathol. 2016;44(9):731-6. [DOI:10.1002/dc.23521] [PMID]
- Krings G, Nystrom M, Mehdi I, Vohra P, Chen Y-Y. Diagnostic utility and sensitivities of GATA3 antibodies in triple-negative breast cancer. Hum Pathol. 2014;45(11):2225-32. [DOI:10.1016/j.humpath.2014.06.022] [PMID]
- Darb-Esfahani S, von Minckwitz G, Denkert C, Ataseven B, Hogel B, Mehta K, et al. Gross cystic disease fluid protein 15 (GCDFP-15) expression in breast cancer subtypes. BMC Cancer. 2014;14(1):546. [DOI:10.1186/1471-2407-14-546] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Pradhan D, Amin M, Hooda S, Dhir R, Bastacky S, Parwani AV. Utility of the laminin immunohistochemical stain in distinguishing invasive from noninvasive urothelial carcinoma. J Cancer Res Ther. 2017;13(6):947-50.
- Yang M, Nonaka D. A study of immunohistochemical differential expression in pulmonary and mammary carcinomas. Mod Pathol. 2010;23(5):654-61. [DOI:10.1038/modpathol.2010.38] [PMID]
- Rakhshani N, Daryakar A. Are mammaglobin and GCDFP-15 sensitive markers for diagnosis of metastatic basal-like triple negative breast carcinomas? Turk Patol Derg. 2014;30(1):18-22. [DOI:10.5146/tjpath.2014.01160]
- Rakha EA, El-Sayed ME, Lee AH, Elston CW, Grainge MJ, Hodi Z, et al. Prognostic significance of Nottingham histologic grade in invasive breast carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26(19):3153-8. [DOI:10.1200/JCO.2007.15.5986] [PMID]
- Yang Y, Lu S, Zeng W, Xie S, Xiao S. GATA3 expression in clinically useful groups of breast carcinoma: a comparison with GCDFP15 and mammaglobin for identifying paired primary and metastatic tumors. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2017;26:1-5. [DOI:10.1016/j.anndiagpath.2016.09.011] [PMID]
- Wu X, Baig A, Kasymjanova G, Kafi K, Holcroft C, Mekouar H, et al. Pattern of Local Recurrence and Distant Metastasis in Breast Cancer By Molecular Subtype. Cureus. 2016;8(12):e924. [DOI:10.7759/cureus.924]
- Hennigs A, Riedel F, Gondos A, Sinn P, Schirmacher P, Marme F, et al. Prognosis of breast cancer molecular subtypes in routine clinical care: A large prospective cohort study. BMC Cancer. 2016;16(1):734. [PMID] [PMCID] [DOI:10.1186/s12885-016-2766-3]
- Collignon J, Lousberg L, Schroeder H, Jerusalem G. Triple-negative breast cancer: treatment challenges and solutions. Breast Cancer. 2016;8:93-107. [DOI:10.2147/BCTT.S69488] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Foulkes WD, Smith IE, Reis-Filho JS. Triple-negative breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2010;363(20):1938-48. [DOI:10.1056/NEJMra1001389] [PMID]
- Laurent E, Begueret H, Bonhomme B, Veillon R, Thumerel M, Velasco V, et al. SOX10, GATA3, GCDFP15, androgen receptor, and mammaglobin for the differential diagnosis between triple-negative breast cancer and TTF1-negative lung adenocarcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol. 2019;43(3):293-302. [PMID] [DOI:10.1097/PAS.0000000000001216]
- Yao Y, Chu Y, Xu B, Hu Q, Song Q. Radiotherapy after surgery has significant survival benefits for patients with triple‐negative breast cancer. Cancer Med. 2019;8(2):554-63. [DOI:10.1002/cam4.1954] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Ni Y-B, Tsang J, Shao M-M, Chan S-K, Cheung S-Y, Tong J, et al. GATA-3 is superior to GCDFP-15 and mammaglobin to identify primary and metastatic breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018;169(1):25-32. [DOI:10.1007/s10549-017-4645-2] [PMID]
- Huo L, Zhang J, Gilcrease MZ, Gong Y, Wu Y, Zhang H, et al. Gross cystic disease fluid protein‐15 and mammaglobin A expression determined by immunohistochemistry is of limited utility in triple‐negative breast cancer. Histopathology. 2013;62(2):267-74. [DOI:10.1111/j.1365-2559.2012.04344.x] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Ordóñez NG. Value of GATA3 immunostaining in tumor diagnosis: a review. Adv Anat Pathol. 2013;20(5):352-60. [DOI:10.1097/PAP.0b013e3182a28a68] [PMID]
- Liu H, Shi J, Prichard JW, Gong Y, Lin F. Immunohistochemical evaluation of GATA-3 expression in ER-negative breast carcinomas. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014;141(5):648-55. [DOI:10.1309/AJCP0Q9UQTEESLHN] [PMID]
- Wang Q, Xu M, Sun Y, Chen J, Chen C, Qian C, et al. Gene Expression Profiling for Diagnosis of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer: A Multicenter, Retrospective Cohort Study. Front Oncol. 2019;9:354. [DOI:10.3389/fonc.2019.00354] [PMID] [PMCID]