Document Type : Original Research
Department of Pathology, KPC Medical College, West Bengal University of Health Science, Kolkata, India
Department of Pathology, NSMCH, Bihta, Aryabhatta University, Patna, India
Department of Urology, KPC Medical College, Professor, West Bengal University of Health Science, Kolkata, India
Background & Objective: Background and objective: Perioperative blood transfusion (PBT) during radical urological surgeries has been associated with an increased incidence of complications. The present study analyzes the outcome of perioperative blood transfusion (PBT) and the prognostic implications after radical surgeries on patients with malignant urological tumors.
Methods: Our retrospective study included 792 cases of partial or radical nephrectomy /cystectomy/prostatectomy surgeries for kidney/bladder/ prostate carcinoma from 2012 to 2022. Data on preoperative, intraoperative, and pathological parameters were evaluated. PBT was taken as a period of transfusion of allogenic RBC during/preoperative/postoperative surgeries. The effect of PBT on oncological parameters like recurrence-free survival (RFS), overall survival (OS), and cancer-free survival (CSS) was compared using univariate cox regression analysis (Odds ratio, Hazard ratio).
Results: PBT was applied on 124 (20.6%) patients of nephrectomy, 54 (46.5%) patients of cystectomy, and 23 (31%) patients of prostatectomy. The baseline characteristics of the cohort study found symptomatic patients with older age and other co-morbidities to be transfusion-dependent. Also, the patients undergoing radical operations with more blood loss and advanced tumor stage were more likely to receive PBT. PBT was significantly associated with survival outcomes (P<0.05) in nephrectomy and cystectomy cases but independent of association in prostatectomy cases.
Conclusion: The result of this study concludes that in nephrectomy and cystectomy operations, PBT had a significant association with cancer recurrence and mortality; however, in prostatectomy cases, no significant correlation was noted. Thus, proper criteria to prevent the unnecessary use of PBT and more defined parameters for transfusion are needed to improve postoperative survival. Autologous transfusion should be considered more frequently. However, more extensive studies and randomized trials are needed in this area.
- Seon DY, Kwak C, Kim HH, Ku JH, Kim HS. Impact of perioperative blood transfusion on oncologic outcomes in patients with non-metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with curative nephrectomy: A retrospective analysis of a large, single-institutional cohort. Investig Clin Urol. 2020;61(2):136-45. [PMID] [PMCID] [DOI:10.4111/icu.2020.61.2.136]
- Cata JP, Gottumukkala V. Blood transfusion practices in cancer surgery. Ind J Anaesth. 2014;58(5):637-42. [DOI:10.4103/0019-5049.144675] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Kim JK, Kim HS, Park J, Jeong CW, Ku JH, Kim HH, et al. Perioperative Blood Transfusion as a Significant Predictor of Biochemical Recurrence and Survival after Radical Prostatectomy in Patients with Prostate Cancer. PLoS One. 2016;11(5): e0154918 [PMID] [PMCID] [DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0154918]
- Barnett CC, Beck AW, Holloway SE, Kehler M, Schluterman MK, Brekken RA, Fleming JB, Silliman CC. Intravenous delivery of plasma fraction of stored packed erythrocytes promotes pancreatic cancer growth in immune-competent mice. Cancer. 2010;116:3862-74. [DOI:10.1002/cncr.25140] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Clark DA, Gorczynski RM, Blajchman MA. Transfusion-related immunomodulation due to peripheral blood dendritic cells expressing the CD200 tolerance signaling molecule and alloantigen. Transfusion. 2008;48(5):814-21. [DOI:10.1111/j.1537-2995.2008.01654.x] [PMID]
- Park YH, Kim YJ, Kang SH, Kim HH, Byun SS, Lee JY, et al. Association between Perioperative Blood Transfusion and Oncologic Outcomes after Curative Surgery for Renal Cell Carcinoma. J Cancer. 2016;7(8):965-72. [DOI:10.7150/jca.15073] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Cata JP, Klein EA, Hoeltge GA, Dalton JE, Mascha E, O'Hara J, et al. Blood storage duration and biochemical recurrence of cancer after radical prostatectomy. Mayo Clin Proc. 2011;86(2):120-7. [PMID] [PMCID] [DOI:10.4065/mcp.2010.0313]
- Linder BJ, Thompson RH, Leibovich BC, Cheville JC, Lohse CM, Gastineau DA, et al. The impact of perioperative blood transfusion on survival after nephrectomy for non-metastatic renal cell carcinoma (RCC). BJU Int. 2014;114(3):368-74 [DOI:10.1111/bju.12535] [PMID]
- Abu-Ghanem Y, Dotan Z, Zilberman DE, Kaver I, Ramon J. Intraoperative but not postoperative blood transfusion adversely affect cancer recurrence and survival following nephrectomy for renal cell carcinoma. Sci Rep. 2019;9(1): 1160. [PMCID] [DOI:10.1038/s41598-018-37691-4] [PMID]
- Jakobsen EB, Eickhoff JH, Andersen JP, Ottensen M. Perioperative blood Transfusion Does Not Affect Survival after Operation for Renal Cell Cancer. Eur Urol. 1994;26:145-8. [DOI:10.1159/000475365] [PMID]
- Moffat LE, Sunderland G, Lamont D. Blood transfusion and survival following nephrectomy for carcinoma of kidney. Br J Urol. 1987;60(4): 316-9. [DOI:10.1111/j.1464-410X.1987.tb04975.x] [PMID]
- Zamboni S, Lonati C, Palumbo C, Marconi MC, Mondini F, Lattarulo M, et al. The effect of perioperative blood transfusion on oncological outcomes in radical cystectomy patients: a narrative review. AME Med J. 2020 June;5:18-28. [DOI:10.21037/amj.2020.02.03]
- Chalfin H J, Liu JJ, Gandhi N, Feng Z, Johnson D, Netto GJ, et al. Blood Transfusion is Associated with Increased Perioperative Morbidity and Adverse Oncologic Outcomes in Bladder Cancer Patients Receiving Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy and Radical Cystectomy. Annals of Surg Oncol. 2016;23(8): 2715-22. [DOI:10.1245/s10434-016-5193-4] [PMID]
- Groeben C, Koch R, Baunacke M, Borkowetz A, Wirth M, P, Huber J. In-Hospital Outcomes after Radical Cystectomy for Bladder Cancer: Comparing National Trends in the United States and Germany from 2006 to 2014. Urol Int. 2019;102:284-292. [DOI:10.1159/000496347] [PMID]
- Volz Y, Eismann L, Pfitzinger PL, Jokisch JF, Buchner A, Schlenker B, et al. Prognostic impact of perioperative blood transfusions on oncological outcomes of patients with bladder cancer undergoing radical cystectomy: A systematic review. Arab J Urol. 2020;19(1):24-30. [DOI:10.1080/2090598X.2020.1859055] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Wang Y, Jiang B, Yin F, Shi H, Xu X, Zheng S, et al. Perioperative Blood Transfusion Promotes Worse Outcomes of Bladder Cancer after Radical Cystectomy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. PLoS One. 2015;10(6):e0130122. [DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0130122] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Moschini M. The impact of perioperative blood transfusion on survival outcomes in radical cystectomy patients. Transl Androl Urol. 2017; 6(6): 1205-07. [DOI:10.21037/tau.2017.11.25] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Cata J P, Lasala J, Pratt G, Feng L, Jay B. Association between Perioperative Blood Transfusions and Clinical Outcomes in Patients Undergoing Bladder Cancer Surgery: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Study. J Blood Transfus. 2016;2016:9876394 [PMCID] [DOI:10.1155/2016/9876394] [PMID]
- Buchner A, Grimm T, Schneevoigt B, Wittmann G, Krestschmer A, Jokisch F, et al. Dramatic impact of blood transfusion on cancer specific survival after radical cystectomy irrespective of tumor stage. Scand J of Urol. 2017;51(20):130-36. [DOI:10.1080/21681805.2017.1295399] [PMID]
- Pushan Z, Manbiao C, Sulai L, Jun L, Ruidong Z, Hanshen Y. The impact of perioperative blood transfusion on survival and recurrence after radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Cancer Res Ther. 2018;14(Supplement):S701-S707. [DOI:10.4103/0973-1482.193115] [PMID]
- Han J, Jeon Y, Ryu J, Oh A, Kim H, Bae Y K, et al. Blood transfusion had no influence on the 5-year biochemical recurrence after robot-assisted radical prostatectomy: a retrospective study. BMC Urol. 2021;21(1):160 [DOI:10.1186/s12894-021-00926-0] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Boehm K, Beyer B, Tennstedt P, Schiffmann J, Budaeus L, Haese A, et al. No impact of blood transfusion on oncological outcome after radical prostatectomy in patients with prostate cancer. World J Urol. 2015;33(6):801-6. [DOI:10.1007/s00345-014-1351-0] [PMID]
- Yeoh TY, Scavonetto F, Weingarten TN, Karnes RJ, van Buskirk CM, Hanson AC, Set al. Perioperative allogeneic nonleukoreduced blood transfusion and prostate cancer outcomes after radical prostatectomy. Tranf Compl. 2014;54(9): 2175-81. [DOI:10.1111/trf.12595] [PMID]
- Jin BQ. A major breakthrough in T-B cells and collaborative study of follicular helper T cells, a new CD4 effect of T subsets. Chin J Cell Mol Immunol. 2009;1:1-5.
- Voskoboinik I, Dunstone MA, Baran K, Whisstock JC, Trapani JA. Perforin: structure, function, and role in human immunopathology. Immunol Rev. 2010;235(1):35-54. [PMID] [DOI:10.1111/j.0105-2896.2010.00896.x]