Document Type : Case Reports
Associate professor, Department of Pathology, Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Professor, Department of Pathology, Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Assistant professor, Department of Pathology, Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Anatomical and clinical pathology resident, Department of Pathology, Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Internal medicine resident, Department of Internal Medicine, Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Heterotopic pancreas (HP) is generally asymptomatic and found incidentally. It can act very rarely as a leading point for intussusception. Thus, it should be considered as a differential diagnosis of the mass lesions leading to the intestinal intussusception. Herein, we report an unusual case of HP as a cause of ileocolic intussusception.
- Monier A, Awad A, Szmigielski W, Muneer M, Alrashid A, Darweesh A, Hassan H. Heterotopic pancreas: a rare cause of ileo-ileal intussusception. Polish journal of radiology. 2014;79:349- 351. https://doi.org/10.12659/PJR.890913 PMid:25302087 PMCid:PMC4189718
- Nasser HA, Sleiman YA, Hassoun ZA, Elzaatari M, Berjawi T, Hamdan W, Allouch M. Bowel obstruction secondary to an ectopic pancreas in the small bowels: About 2 cases. International journal of surgery case reports. 2017 Jan 1;31:72-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijscr.2017.01.019 PMID:28122316 PMCid:PMC5257184
- Kok VK, Wang TK, Lin NH, Bei JJ, Huang PH, Chen YC. Adult intussusception caused by heterotopic pancreas. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association. 2007 May 1;106(5):418-21.
- Hamada Y, Yonekura Y, Tanano A, Takada K, Kato Y, Sato M, Sakaida N, Okamura A, Hioki K. Isolated heterotopic pancreas causing intussusception. European journal of pediatric surgery. 2000 Jun;10(03):197-200. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2008-1072357 PMID:10982052
- Andola SK, Bhimalli SI, Mahanta AA, Harwal SR. Heterotopic Pancreas Presenting With Intussusception-A Rare Case Report. 2014;1(1):033-036
- Armstrong CP, King PM, Dixon JM, Macleod IB. The clinical significance of heterotopic pancreas in the gastrointestinal tract. British Journal of Surgery. 1981 Jun;68(6):384-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800680606 PMID:7237066
- Riccardo G, Valeria B, Giulia C, Alessia C, Luisa F, Elisabetta T, Alessandro M, Isabella M, Jürgen S. Heterotopic pancreas in Meckel's diverticulum in a 7-year-old child with intussusception and recurrent gastrointestinal bleeding: case report and literature review focusing on diagnostic controversies. African Journal of Paediatric Surgery. 2014 Oct 1;11(4). https://doi.org/10.4103/0189-6725.143172 PMID:25323189