Document Type : Original Research
Department of Hematology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Immunology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
Blood Transfusion Research Center, High Institute for Research and Education in Transfusion Medicine, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective: Trapped cell population in leukoreduction filters (LRFs) contains such a significant number of CD34+ hematopoietic stem cells that can be recovered to be used in research studies.
Methods: Samples (n=20) were obtained from 10 first-time donors and 10 regular blood donors with more than 30 times blood donation. After separating leukocytes from LRFs by backflushing, total leukocyte number and differential count were determined in both groups using an automated haemocytometer. Then cell viability and CD34+ cell quantification were assessed using 7- amino-actinomycin D and fluorescent-labeled monoclonal antibodies using flow cytometry, respectively.
Results: Total leukocyte count was 665±164.92×106 in the first-time blood donors and 883±233.89×106 in the regular donors, which were not significantly different (P=0.08). While the number of CD34+ cells was significantly reduced in the regular donors compared to the first-time donors (0.58±0.20×106/µL vs. 0.36±0.22×106/µL; P=0.034). There was no significant difference in terms of absolute neutrophil count (10.58±3.66×06 vs. 13.17±6.45×106/µL; P=0.349), lymphocytes (7.75±3.11×106 vs. 10.38±3.77×106 /µL; P=0.917), and monocytes (2.31±0.88×106 vs. 2.59±1.09×106/µL; P=0.591) between the first-time and regular donor groups, respectively. Based on the correlation coefficients, the participants’ age had no significant effect on these variables.
Conclusion: The results of this study depicted that regular blood donation reduces the number of CD34+ cells in the peripheral blood (PB) of regular donors while it has no significant effect on the ratio of myeloid to lymphoid cells of the two groups.
- Leukoreduction filters contain considerable CD34+ cells
- There is a reduction in the number of Leukoreduction filters CD34+ cells after long time blood donation
- The reduction in CD34+ cells did not affect the donors health
- Sasani N, Roghanian R, Emtiazi G, Aghaie A. A Novel Approach on Leukodepletion Filters: Investigation of Synergistic Anticancer Effect of Purified alpha-Defensins and Nisin. Adv Pharm Bull. 2021;11(2):378-84. [DOI:10.34172/apb.2021.036] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Sharma RR, Marwaha N. Leukoreduced blood components: Advantages and strategies for its implementation in developing countries. Asian J Transfus Sci. 2010;4(1):3-8. [DOI:10.4103/0973-6247.59384] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Hashemi S, Maghsudlu M, Nasizadeh S, Esmaielifar G, Pourfathollah AA. Effective ways to retain first-time blood donors: a field-trial study. Transfusion. 2019;59(9):2893-8. [DOI:10.1111/trf.15404] [PMID]
- He H, Tang L, Jiang N, Zheng R, Li W, Gu Y, et al. Characterization of peripheral blood mononuclear cells isolated using two kinds of leukocyte filters. Transfus Clin Biol. 2020;27(1): 10-7. [DOI:10.1016/j.tracli.2019.11.001] [PMID]
- Nair S, Mammen J. Repeat voluntary non-remunerated blood donor is the best quality indicator for blood safety. Indian J Med Res. 2015; 141(6):749. [DOI:10.4103/0971-5916.160687] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Ivanovic Z, Duchez P, Morgan DA, Hermitte F, Lafarge X, Chevaleyre J, et al. Whole‐blood leukodepletion filters as a source of CD34+ progenitors potentially usable in cell therapy. Transfusion. 2006;46(1):118-25. [PMID] [DOI:10.1111/j.1537-2995.2005.00677.x]
- Peytour Y, Villacreces A, Chevaleyre J, Ivanovic Z, Praloran V. Discarded leukoreduction filters: a new source of stem cells for research, cell engineering and therapy? Stem Cell Res. 2013;11 (2):736-42. [DOI:10.1016/j.scr.2013.05.001] [PMID]
- Nair SC, Mammen JJ. Repeat voluntary non-remunerated blood donor is the best quality indicator for blood safety. Indian J Med Res. 2015; 141(6):749-52. [DOI:10.4103/0971-5916.160687] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Sasani N, Roghanian R, Emtiazi G, Jalali S, Zarif MN, Aghaie A. Design and introduction of a rational mechanical eluting system for leukocyte recovery from leukoreduction filters: A cell differential approach. Transfus Clin Biol. 2020; 27(3):172-8. [DOI:10.1016/j.tracli.2020.03.007] [PMID]
- Bassiouny M, El-Chennawi F, Mansour A, Yahia S, Darwish A. Transplantation and Cellular Engineering. Transfusion. 2015;55:1263-8. [DOI:10.1111/trf.12978] [PMID]
- McKenna DH, Stroncek DF. Cellular Engineering: Hematopoietic Transplant, Immune Cell Therapy, and Regenerative Medicine. Transfus Med. 2021: 477-99. [DOI:10.1002/9781119599586.ch19]
- Marini I, Rigoni F, Zlamal J, Pelzl L, Althaus K, Nowak-Harnau S, et al. Blood donor-derived buffy coat to produce platelets in vitro. Vox Sang. 2020;115(1):94-102. [DOI:10.1111/vox.12863] [PMID]
- Néron S, Thibault L, Dussault N, Côté G, Ducas É, Pineault N, et al. Characterization of mononuclear cells remaining in the leukoreduction system chambers of apheresis instruments after routine platelet collection: a new source of viable human blood cells. Transfusion. 2007;47(6):1042-9. [DOI:10.1111/j.1537-2995.2007.01233.x] [PMID]
- Meyer TP, Zehnter I, Hofmann B, Zaisserer J, Burkhart J, Rapp S, et al. Filter Buffy Coats (FBC): a source of peripheral blood leukocytes recovered from leukocyte depletion filters. J Immunol Methods. 2005;307(1-2):150-66. [DOI:10.1016/j.jim.2005.10.004] [PMID]
- Peytour Y, Guitart A, Villacreces A, Chevaleyre J, Lacombe F, Ivanovic Z, et al. Obtaining of CD34+ cells from healthy blood donors: development of a rapid and efficient procedure using leukoreduction filters. Transfusion. 2010;50(10):2152-7. [PMID] [DOI:10.1111/j.1537-2995.2010.02683.x]
- Valizadeh M, Purfathollah AA, Raoofian R, Homayoonfar A, Moazzeni M. Optimized simple and affordable procedure for differentiation of monocyte-derived dendritic cells from LRF: An accessible and valid alternative biological source. Exp Cell Res. 2021;406(2):112754. [DOI:10.1016/j.yexcr.2021.112754] [PMID]
- Sivertsen J, Braathen H, Lunde THF, Kristoffersen EK, Hervig T, Strandenes G, et al. Cold-stored leukoreduced CPDA-1 whole blood: in vitro quality and hemostatic properties. Transfusion. 2020;60(5):1042-9. [DOI:10.1111/trf.15748] [PMID]
- Shastry S, Raturi M, Baliga P. Impact of regular whole-blood donation on body iron stores. Transfus Med Hemother. 2020;47(1):75-9. [DOI:10.1159/000499768] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Pei X. Who is hematopoietic stem cell: CD34+ or CD34-? Int J Hematol. 1999;70(4):213-5.
- Ando K. Human CD34− hematopoietic stem cells: basic features and clinical relevance. Int J Hematol. 2002;75(4):370-5. [DOI:10.1007/BF02982126] [PMID]
- Nielsen JS, McNagny KM. Novel functions of the CD34 family. J Cell Sci. 2008;121(22):3683-92. [DOI:10.1242/jcs.037507] [PMID]
- Dehdilani N, Shamsasenjan K, Movassaghpour A, Akbarzadehlaleh P, Amoughli Tabrizi B, Parsa H, et al. Improved Survival and Hematopoietic Differentiation of Murine Embryonic Stem Cells on Electrospun Polycaprolactone Nanofiber. Cell J. 2016;17(4):629-38.
- Ferdowsi S, Pourfathollah A. Leukocyte reduction filters: A source of peripheral blood leukocytes for research and drug production. Glob J Transfus Med. 2019;4(1):122-.
- Dezfouli AB, Pourfathollah AA, Nikougoftar-Zarif M, Khosravi M, Tajrishi M, Ezzati N, et al. Optimizing the recovery of peripheral blood mononuclear cells trapped in leukoreduction filters-A comparison study. Hematol Transfus Cell Ther. 2020.
- Javadzadeh Shahshahani H, Attar M, Taher Yavari M. A study of the prevalence of iron deficiency and its related factors in blood donors of Yazd, Iran, 2003. Transfus Med. 2005;15(4):287-93. [DOI:10.1111/j.0958-7578.2005.00590.x] [PMID]
- Pala C, Mumcuoglu H, Kurnaz F, Sivgin S, Kaynar L, Keklik M, et al. Changes in CD34+ cell count in peripheral blood after whole blood donation. Transfus Apher Sci. 2013;49(2):259-62. [DOI:10.1016/j.transci.2013.04.038] [PMID]
- Hallek M. Chronic lymphocytic leukemia: 2020 update on diagnosis, risk stratification and treatment. Am J Hematol. 2019;94(11):1266-87. [DOI:10.1002/ajh.25595] [PMID]
- Tuljapurkar SR, McGuire TR, Brusnahan SK, Jackson JD, Garvin KL, Kessinger MA, et al. Changes in human bone marrow fat content associated with changes in hematopoietic stem cell numbers and cytokine levels with aging. J Anat. 2011;219(5):574-81. [DOI:10.1111/j.1469-7580.2011.01423.x] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Povsic TJ, Zhou J, Adams SD, Bolognesi MP, Attarian DE, Peterson ED. Aging is not associated with bone marrow-resident progenitor cell depletion. J Immunol Methods. 2010;65(10): 1042-50. [DOI:10.1093/gerona/glq110] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Mittal S, Chacko MP, Varughese S, Raj A, Gowri M, Thankachen R, et al. Laboratory and clinical comparison of the efficacy of prestorage leukoreduction of red cells at cold versus room temperature. Transfusion. 2021;61(9):2556-65. [DOI:10.1111/trf.16570] [PMID]
- da Silva NDM, Nukui Y, Takahashi J, de Souza Nogueira L. Effect of post-storage filters vs. pre-storage filters for leukoreduction of blood components on clinical outcomes: a systematic review protocol. JBI Evid Synth. 2021;19(9): 2382-8. [DOI:10.11124/JBIES-20-00353] [PMID]
- Muchtar E, Dingli D, Kumar S, Buadi F, Dispenzieri A, Hayman S, et al. Autologous stem cell transplant for multiple myeloma patients 70 years or older. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2016;51 (11):1449-55. [DOI:10.1038/bmt.2016.174] [PMID]