Document Type : Short Communication
Chemical Injuries Research Center, Systems biology and Poisonings Institute, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Eye Research Center, Farabi Eye Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Vision Health Research Center, Semnan University of Medical Sciences, Semnan, Iran
Research Center for Prevention of Oral and Dental Diseases, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective: Delayed mustard gas keratopathy (DMGK) is the main chronic outcome in eye-chemical injured patients. The aim of this study was the histopathological evaluation of mustard-exposed cornea after more than 30 years.
Methods: Fourteen corneas after Lamellar keratoplasty were evaluated in this study. Corneal tissues were prepared by histologic methods and stained by H&E.
Results: The main histopathological findings in these cases were the presence of severe stromal edema and corneal scar. In the sections with visible superficial epithelium, subepithelial bullae formation was observed. Focal or diffuse disruption of Bowman's membrane and replacement with fibrosis were also seen. There was no evidence of stromal vascularization and inflammation in all specimens.
Conclusion: After more than 30 years, an extensive corneal scar is seen in sulfur mustard exposed patients. Scar tissue without vascularization and fibroblastic proliferation is the main finding in the sulfur mustard exposed cornea. This pathology result is different from other scars. No evidence of inflammation or immune cell infiltration should be considered in managing DMGK.
- Borak J, Sidell FR. Agents of chemical warfare: sulfur mustard. Ann Emerg Med. 1992;21(3):303-8. [DOI:10.1016/S0196-0644(05)80892-3]
- Ludlum DB, Austin-Ritchie P, Hagopian M, Niu TQ, Yu D. Detection of sulfur mustard-induced DNA modifications. Chem Biol Interact. 1994;91(1):39-49. [DOI:10.1016/0009-2797(94)90005-1]
- Ghabili K, Agutter PS, Ghanei M, Ansarin K, Panahi Y, Shoja MM. Sulfur mustard toxicity: history, chemistry, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics. Crit Rev Toxicol. 2011;41(5): 384-403. [DOI:10.3109/10408444.2010.541224] [PMID]
- Laskin JD, Black AT, Jan Y-H, Sinko PJ, Heindel ND, Sunil V, et al. Oxidants and antioxidants in sulfur mustardâ€ "induced injury. Ann NY Acad Sci.1203:92. [DOI:10.1111/j.1749-6632.2010.05605.x] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Ghanei M, Harandi AA. Molecular and cellular mechanism of lung injuries due to exposure to sulfur mustard: a review. Inhal Toxicol.23(7):363-71. [DOI:10.3109/08958378.2011.576278] [PMID]
- Hur G-H, Kim Y-B, Choi D-S, Kim J-H, Shin S. Apoptosis as a mechanism of 2-chloroethylethyl sulfide-induced cytotoxicity. Chem Biol Interact. 1998;110(1-2):57-70. [DOI:10.1016/S0009-2797(97)00112-9]
- Mansour Razavi S, Salamati P, Saghafinia M, Abdollahi M. A review on delayed toxic effects of sulfur mustard in Iranian veterans. Daru. 2012;20(1):51. [DOI:10.1186/2008-2231-20-51] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Balali-Mood M, Hefazi M. Comparison of early and late toxic effects of sulfur mustard in Iranian veterans. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2006;99 (4):273-82. [DOI:10.1111/j.1742-7843.2006.pto_429.x] [PMID]
- Kadar T, Dachir S, Cohen L, Sahar R, Fishbine E, Cohen M, et al. Ocular injuries following sulfur mustard exposureâ€" pathological mechanism and potential therapy. Toxicology. 2009;263(1):59-69. [DOI:10.1016/j.tox.2008.10.026] [PMID]
- Ghasemi H, Ghazanfari T, Ghassemi-Broumand M, Javadi MA, Babaei M, Soroush MR, et al. Long-term ocular consequences of sulfur mustard in seriously eye-injured war veterans. Cutan Ocul Toxicol. 2009;28(2):71-7. [DOI:10.1080/15569520902913936] [PMID]
- Ghasemi H, Ghazanfari T, Babaei M, Soroush MR, Yaraee R, Ghassemi-Broumand M, et al. Long-term ocular complications of sulfur mustard in the civilian victims of Sardasht, Iran. Cutan Ocul Toxicol. 2008;27(4):317-26. [DOI:10.1080/15569520802404382] [PMID]
- Javadi MA, Yazdani S, Sajjadi H, Jadidi K, Karimian F, Einollahi B, et al. Chronic and delayed-onset mustard gas keratitis: report of 48 patients and review of literature. Ophthalmology. 2005;112(4): 617-25. [DOI:10.1016/j.ophtha.2004.09.027] [PMID]
- Baradaran-Rafii A, Eslani M, Tseng SC. Sulfur mustard-induced ocular surface disorders. Ocul Surf. 2011;9(3):163-78. [DOI:10.1016/S1542-0124(11)70026-X]
- Jadidi K, Panahi Y, Ebrahimi A, Mafi M, Nejat F, Sahebkar A. Topical cyclosporine a for treatment of dry eye due to chronic mustard gas injury. J Ophthalmic Vis Res. 2014;9(4):417. [PMCID] [DOI:10.4103/2008-322X.150803] [PMID]
- Rajavi Z, Safi S, Javadi MA, Jafarinasab MR, Feizi S, Moghadam MS, et al. Clinical practice guidelines for prevention, diagnosis and management of early and delayed-onset ocular injuries due to mustard gas exposure. J Ophthalmic Vis Res.12(1):65. [DOI:10.4103/jovr.jovr_253_16] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Kh J, Sadeghipour A, Naderi M, Haghighi M, Rafizade PJJMM. Histopathological study of delayed mustard gas keratopathy. Journal Mil Med. 2011;12(4):191-5.
- Kanavi MR, Javadi A, Javadi MA. Chronic and delayed mustard gas keratopathy: a histopathologic and immunohistochemical study. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2010;20(5):839-43. [DOI:10.1177/112067211002000505] [PMID]
- Petrali J, Miskena F, Hamilton T, Finger A, Janny S. Sulfur mustard toxicity of the rabbit eye: An ultrastructural study. Cutan Ocul Toxicol. 1997; 16(4):227-37. [DOI:10.3109/15569529709048901]
- F Ramandi M, Piranfar V, J Nadoushan M, R Sarshoori J, J Misialek M, Heiat M, et al. Dose-response effects of the CM11 as a short cationic antimicrobial peptide on histopathological and biochemical changes in mice. Curr Chem Biol. 2017;11(2):150-7. [DOI:10.2174/2212796811666170314131111]
- Petrali JP, Oglesby-Megee S. Toxicity of mustard gas skin lesions. Microsc Res Tech. 1997;37 (3):221-8. [DOI:10.1002/(SICI)1097-0029(19970501)37:33.0.CO;2-Q]
- Panahi Y, Shahbazi A, Naderi M, Jadidi K, Sahebkar A. Sulfur Mustard-related Ocular Complications: A Review of Proteomic Alterations and Pathways Involved. Curr Pharm Des. 2018;24 (24):2849-54. [PMID] [DOI:10.2174/1381612824666180903112218]
- Baradaran-Rafii A, Javadi MA, Rezaei Kanavi M, Eslani M, Jamali H, Karimian F. Limbal stem cell deficiency in chronic and delayed-onset mustard gas keratopathy. Ophthalmology. 2010;117(2):246-52. [DOI:10.1016/j.ophtha.2009.07.012] [PMID]
- Javadi MA, Yazdani S, Kanavi MR, Mohammadpour M, Baradaran-Rafiee A, Jafarinasab MR, et al. Long-term outcomes of penetrating keratoplasty in chronic and delayed mustard gas keratitis. Cornea. 2007;26(9):1074-8. [DOI:10.1097/ICO.0b013e3181334752] [PMID]
- Ghasemi H, Javadi MA, Ardestani SK, Mahmoudi M, Pourfarzam S, Mahdavi MRV, et al. Alteration in inflammatory mediators in seriously eye-injured war veterans, long-term after sulfur mustard exposure. Int Immunopharmacol. 2020;80:105897. [DOI:10.1016/j.intimp.2019.105897] [PMID]
- McNutt P, Hamilton T, Nelson M, Adkins A, Swartz A, Lawrence R, et al. Pathogenesis of acute and delayed corneal lesions after ocular exposure to sulfur mustard vapor. Cornea. 2012;31(3):280-90. [DOI:10.1097/ICO.0B013E31823D02CD] [PMID]
- Kadar T, Cohen M, Cohen L, Fishbine E, Sahar R, Brandeis R, et al. Endothelial cell damage following sulfur mustard exposure in rabbits and its association with the delayed-onset ocular lesions. Cutan Ocul Toxicol. 2013;32(2):115-23. [DOI:10.3109/15569527.2012.717571] [PMID]