Document Type : Original Research
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India
Department of General Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India
Department of Radiation Oncology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India
Department of Surgical Oncology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India
Background & Objective: Breast cancer is the leading cancer among Indian women and accounts for about 25% of all cancer cases worldwide. The present study aimed to assess Programmed Death Ligand-1 (PD-L1) expression in tumoral cells and tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs) and evaluate their correlations with the Ki-67 labelling index in invasive breast carcinomas (IBC).
Methods: This descriptive observational study was conducted during 2016-2018 and included all diagnosed cases of IBC. The relationships between PD-L1 expression, TILs, hormone receptors, Ki-67, and clinicopathological parameters were studied in IBC. Statistical analysis was performed by SPSS version 23.
Results: Out of 114 evaluated cases, 33.33% (N=38) showed PD-L1+ expression in tumor cells and 47.37% (N=54) had PD-L1+ expression in TILs. A high Ki-67 index was observed in 96 cases. Moreover, 49 patients were estrogen receptor (ER)- and 65 were ER+. We observed that 22 of 49 ER- and 49 of 65 ER+ subjects showed PD-L1+ expression, respectively.
Conclusion: Our results showed a significant relationship between PD-L1 expression in tumoral cells and TILs, as well as between Ki-67 and TILs. In addition, an inverse correlation was noted between PD-L1 expression and ER. The PD-L1 expression in tumors and TILs and correlation with high Ki-67 may prove the importance of PD-L1 in targeted chemotherapy. An inverse relationship between PD-L1 and ER expression in tumoral cells suggests scope for immunotherapy in ER- IBC. However, further research with more cases is required.
- Malvia S, Bagadi SA, Dubey US, Saxena S. Epidemiology of breast cancer in Indian women. Asia Pac J Clin Oncol. 2017;13(4):289-295. [DOI:10.1111/ajco.12661] [PMID]
- DeSantis CE, Ma J, Goding Sauer A, Newman LA, Jemal A. Breast cancer statistics, 2017, racial disparity in mortality by state. CA Cancer J Clin. 2017 ;67(6):439-448. [DOI:10.3322/caac.21412] [PMID]
- Botti G, Collina F, Scognamiglio G, Rao F, Peluso V, De Cecio R et al. Programmed Death Ligand 1 (PD-L1) Tumor Expression Is Associated with a Better Prognosis and Diabetic Disease in Triple Negative Breast Cancer Patients. Int J Mol Sci. 2017; 21;18(2):459. [DOI:10.3390/ijms18020459] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Bae SB, Cho HD, Oh MH, Lee JH, Jang SH, Hong SA et al. Expression of Programmed Death Receptor Ligand 1 with High Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes Is Associated with Better Prognosis in Breast Cancer. J Breast Cancer. 2016; 19(3):242-251. [DOI:10.4048/jbc.2016.19.3.242] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Allred DC, Harvey JM, Berardo M, Clark GM. Prognostic and predictive factors in breast cancer by immunohistochemical analysis. Mod Pathol. 1998;11(2):155-68. PMID: 9504686.
- Baptista MZ, Sarian LO, Derchain SF, Pinto GA, Vassallo J. Prognostic significance of PD-L1 and PD-L2 in breast cancer. Hum Pathol. 2016; 47(1):78-84. doi: 10.1016/j.humpath.2015.09.006. [DOI:10.1016/j.humpath.2015.09.006] [PMID]
- Dowsett M, Nielsen TO, A'Hern R, Bartlett J, Coombes RC, Cuzick J et al; International Ki-67 in Breast Cancer Working Group. Assessment of Ki67 in breast cancer: recommendations from the International Ki67 in Breast Cancer working group. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011; 16;103(22):1656-64. [DOI:10.1093/jnci/djr393] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Wolff AC, Hammond MEH, Allison KH, Harvey BE, Mangu PB, Bartlett JMS et al. Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2 Testing in Breast Cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists Clinical Practice Guideline Focused Update. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2018; 142(11):1364-82. [DOI:10.5858/arpa.2018-0902-SA] [PMID]
- Salgado R, Denkert C, Demaria S, Sirtaine N, Klauschen F, Pruneri G et al; International TILs Working Group 2014. The evaluation of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs) in breast cancer: recommendations by an International TILs Working Group 2014. Ann Oncol. 2015; 26(2): 259-71. [DOI:10.1093/annonc/mdu450] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Okazaki T, Iwai Y, Honjo T. New regulatory co-receptors: inducible co-stimulator and PD-1. Curr Opin Immunol. 2002; 14(6):779-82. [DOI:10.1016/S0952-7915(02)00398-9]
- Freeman GJ, Long AJ, Iwai Y, Bourque K, Chernova T, Nishimura H et al. Engagement of the PD-1 immunoinhibitory receptor by a novel B7 family member leads to negative regulation of lymphocyte activation. J Exp Med. 2000; 2;192(7):1027-34. [DOI:10.1084/jem.192.7.1027] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Okazaki T, Honjo T. The PD-1-PD-L pathway in immunological tolerance. Trends Immunol. 2006; 27(4):195-201. [DOI:10.1016/j.it.2006.02.001] [PMID]
- Latchman Y, Wood CR, Chernova T, Chaudhary D, Borde M, Chernova I et al. PD-L2 is a second ligand for PD-1 and inhibits T cell activation. Nat Immunol. 2001; 2(3):261-8. [DOI:10.1038/85330] [PMID]
- Lipson EJ, Forde PM, Hammers HJ, Emens LA, Taube JM, Topalian SL. Antagonists of PD-1 and PD-L1 in Cancer Treatment. Semin Oncol. 2015; 42(4):587-600. [PMCID] [PMID] [DOI:10.1053/j.seminoncol.2015.05.013]
- Schalper KA, Velcheti V, Carvajal D, Wimberly H, Brown J, Pusztai L et al. In situ tumor PD-L1 mRNA expression is associated with increased TILs and better outcome in breast carcinomas. Clin Cancer Res. 2014; 15;20(10):2773-82. [DOI:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-13-2702] [PMID]
- Velcheti V, Schalper KA, Carvajal DE, Anagnostou VK, Syrigos KN, Sznol M et al. Programmed death ligand-1 expression in non-small cell lung cancer. Lab Invest. 2014; 94(1):107-16. [DOI:10.1038/labinvest.2013.130] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Wimberly H, Brown JR, Schalper K, Haack H, Silver MR, Nixon C et al. PD-L1 Expression Correlates with Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes and Response to Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer. Cancer Immunol Res. 2015; 3(4):326-32. [DOI:10.1158/2326-6066.CIR-14-0133] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Miyoshi Y, Shien T, Ogiya A, Ishida N, Yamazaki K, Horii R et al. Associations in tumor infiltrating lymphocytes between clinicopathological factors and clinical outcomes in estrogen receptor-positive/human epidermal growth factor receptor type 2 negative breast cancer. Oncol Lett. 2019; 17(2):2177-86. [DOI:10.3892/ol.2018.9853]
- Evangelou Z, Papoudou-Bai A, Karpathiou G, Kourea H, Kamina S, Goussia A et al. PD-L1 Expression and Tumor-infiltrating Lymphocytes in Breast Cancer: Clinicopathological Analysis in Women Younger than 40 Years Old. In Vivo. 2020; 34(2):639-47. [DOI:10.21873/invivo.11818] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Liu L, Shen Y, Zhu X, Lv R, Li S, Zhang Z et al. ERα is a negative regulator of PD-L1 gene transcription in breast cancer. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018; 20;505(1):157-61. [DOI:10.1016/j.bbrc.2018.09.005] [PMID]
- Ghebeh H, Mohammed S, Al-Omair A, Qattan A, Lehe C, Al-Qudaihi G et al. The B7-H1 (PD-L1) T lymphocyte-inhibitory molecule is expressed in breast cancer patients with infiltrating ductal carcinoma: correlation with important high-risk prognostic factors. Neoplasia. 2006; 8(3):190-8. [DOI:10.1593/neo.05733] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Sabatier R, Finetti P, Mamessier E, Adelaide J, Chaffanet M, Ali HR et al. Prognostic and predictive value of PDL1 expression in breast cancer. Oncotarget. 2015; 10;6(7):5449-64. [DOI:10.18632/oncotarget.3216] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Yuan C, Liu Z, Yu Q, Wang X, Bian M, Yu Z et al. Expression of PD-1/PD-L1 in primary breast tumours and metastatic axillary lymph nodes and its correlation with clinicopathological parame-ters. Sci Rep. 2019; 7;9(1):14356. [PMCID] [DOI:10.1038/s41598-019-50898-3] [PMID]
- Kim A, Lee SJ, Kim YK, Park WY, Park DY, Kim JY et al. Programmed death-ligand 1 (PD-L1) expression in tumour cell and tumour infiltrating lymphocytes of HER2-positive breast cancer and its prognostic value. Sci Rep. 2017; 15;7(1): 11671. [DOI:10.1038/s41598-017-11905-7] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Lou J, Zhou Y, Huang J, Qian X. Relationship Between PD-L1 Expression and Clinical Characteristics in Patients with Breast Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. Open Med (Wars). 2017; 6;12:288-92. [DOI:10.1515/med-2017-0042] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Li F, Ren Y, Wang Z. Programmed death 1 Ligand 1 expression in breast cancer and its association with patients' clinical parameters. J Cancer Res Ther. 2018;14(1):150-154. [DOI:10.4103/jcrt.JCRT_602_17] [PMID]
- Li M, Li A, Zhou S, Xu Y, Xiao Y, Bi R et al. Heterogeneity of PD-L1 expression in primary tumors and paired lymph node metastases of triple negative breast cancer. BMC Cancer. 2018; 2;18(1):4. [DOI:10.1186/s12885-017-3916-y] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Alves AM, Paredes J, Schmitt F. Expression of PD-L1 in primary breast carcinoma and lymph node metastases. Surgical and Experimental Pathology. 2019; 2(1):1-6. [DOI:10.1186/s42047-019-0033-z]
- Solinas C, Gombos A, Latifyan S, Piccart-Gebhart M, Kok M, Buisseret L. Targeting immune checkpoints in breast cancer: an update of early results. ESMO Open. 2017; 14;2(5):e000255. [DOI:10.1136/esmoopen-2017-000255] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Qi Y, Zhang L, Wang Z, Kong X, Zhai J, Fang Y et al. Efficacy and Safety of Anti-PD-1/ PD-L1 Monotherapy for Metastatic Breast Cancer: Clinical Evidence. Front Pharmacol. 2021; 29;12:653521. [DOI:10.3389/fphar.2021.653521] [PMID] [PMCID]