Document Type : Original Research
Scientometrics and Library & Information Sciences, Faculty of Humanities, Shahed University, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective: This study examines the extent of scientific publications and patents in pathology and forensic medicine globally and the citation relationship between them from 2011 to 2020, indexed in the Scopus database.
Methods: In this scientometric study, data were extracted from the SciVal citation database. Search feature and library study method and annual growth rate, relative growth rate, and linear model were used to retrieve and analyze the data. The scientometric indicators included the number of publications and patents of the university in collaboration with industry, the number of articles cited by patents, the number of patents cited by articles, the average number of patents cited by articles, and the number of articles cited.
Results: The results showed a poor collaboration between academia and industry in pathology and forensic Medicine, and North America is the busiest region in this field. The average growth of patents based on articles, the number of articles mentioned in patents, citations to patents, and the average number of patents of an institute in the articles of that institute have a positive exponential relationship. Based on the linear model, the relationship between articles and citations equals R2 = 0.982, which is inverse and negative. The data set of articles and citations was suitable for polynomial (R2 = .994), linear (R2= .982) and exponential (R2 = .887) models.
Conclusion: The research process of pathology and forensic medicine is inappropriate, and the citation relationships between articles and patents in this field are weak. Strengthening the link between academia and industry in pathology and forensic medicine can strengthen research in this field.
- Pathology and forensic Medicine study and identify functional abnormalities and structural changes in tissues.
- Pathology deals with various changes in the body during illness.
- The collaboration between the university and the industry leads to quality scientific publications and patents.
- Allocating more funds to research increases the quality of scientific publications.
- The quality of publications increases the number of citations.
- Mormina M. Science, Technology and Innovation as Social Goods for Development: Rethinking Research Capacity Building from Sen's Capabilities Approach. Sci Eng Ethics. 2019;25(3):671-92. [DOI: 10.1007/s11948-018-0037-1 ] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Pang S, Dou S, Li H. Synergy effect of science and technology policies on innovation: Evidence from China. PLoS One. 2020;15(10):e0240515. [Doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0240515] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Chakraborty M, Byshkin M, Crestani F. Patent citation network analysis: A perspective from descriptive statistics and ERGMs. PLoS One. 2020;15(12):e0241797. [DOI: 1371/journal.pone.0241797] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Poege F, Harhoff D, Gaessler F, Baruffaldi S. Science quality and the value of inventions. Sci Adv. 2019;5(12):eaay7323. [Doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aay7323 ] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Eghbal MJ, Davari Ardakani N, Asgary S. A Scientometric Study of PubMed-Indexed Endodontic Articles: A Comparison between Iran and Other Regional Countries. Iran Endod J. 2012;7(2):56-9. [PMID] [PMCID]
- Dehghanbanadaki H, Khademsharif M, Aazami H, Azimi A. 32-Year Scientometric analysis of the Medical Journal of the Islamic Republic of Iran. Med J Islam Repub Iran. 2020;34:1. [Doi: 10.34171/mjiri.34.1 ] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Li Z, Wan X, Lu A, Li X, Li J. Pathological research output in China and other top-ranking countries: 10-year survey of the literature. Pathol Res Pract. 2010;206(12):835-8. [Doi: 10.1016/j.prp.2010.02.012 ] [PMID]
- Fritzsche FR, Dietel M, Kristiansen G. Where we publish : an analysis of the publications of German institutes of pathology. Virchows Arch. 2008;452(4):363-8. [Doi: 10.1007/s00428-007-0568-3] [PMID]
- Brusoni S, Criscuolo P, Geuna A. The knowledge bases of the world's largest pharmaceutical groups: what do patent citations to non-patent literature reveal? Econ Innov New Technol. 2005;14(5):395-415. [Doi:org/10.1080/1043859042000307356]
- Szu-chia SL. Scientific linkage of science research and technology development: A case of genetic engineering research. Scientometrics. 2010;82(1):109-20.[Doi:org/10.1007/s11192-009-0036-8]
- Nourmohammadi H. The Presence of Iran and its Counterparts in Pathology and Forensic Medicine during 1996 to 2010. 2013. 89-96.
- Bousfield D, McEntyre J, Velankar S, Papadatos G, Bateman A, Cochrane G, et al. Patterns of database citation in articles and patents indicate long-term scientific and industry value of biological data resources. F1000Res. 2016;5. [Doi: 10.12688/f1000research.7911.1 ] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Xu J, Kong X, Qiu L, Geng X, Hu Y, Wang Y. Research and development of anti-Alzheimer's drugs: an analysis based on technology flows measured by patent citations. Exp Opin Ther Patents. 2014;24(7):791-800. [Doi: 10.1517/13543776.2014.915943 ] [PMID]
- Emami M, Riahinia N, Soheili F. Science-Technology Linkage in the Field of Medical and Laboratory Equipment. J Sci Res. 2020;9(2):88-95. [Doi: 10.5530/jscires.9.2.12]
- KALA PS, PIYUSH A, PANDEY HS, THAPLIYAL N. Publication of Postgraduate Thesis in Pathology: An Introspection. J Clin Diagn Res. 2020;14(5).
- Ingrole RSJ, Azizoglu E, Dul M, Birchall JC, Gill HS, Prausnitz MR. Trends of microneedle technology in the scientific literature, patents, clinical trials and internet activity. Biomaterials. 2021;267:120491. [PMID] [Doi: org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2020.120491]
- Cascajares M, Alcayde A, Garrido-Cardenas JA, Manzano-Agugliaro F. The Contribution of Spanish Science to Patents: Medicine as Case of Study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020;17(10).3638. [DOI: 3390/ijerph17103638 ] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Kaur H, Mahajan P. Ranking of medical institutes of India for quality and quantity: a case study. Scientometrics. 2015;105(2):1129-39.[ Doi:org/10.1007/s11192-015-1720-5 ]
- Sweileh WM, Al-Jabi SW, AbuTaha AS, Zyoud SH, Anayah FMA, Sawalha AF. Bibliometric analysis of worldwide scientific literature in mobile - health: 2006-2016. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2017;17(1):72. [Doi: 10.1186/s12911-017-0476-7 ] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Kipanyula MJ, Sife AS. Global Trends in Application of Stereology as a Quantitative Tool in Biomedical Research. Biomed Res Int. 2018;2018:1825697. [Doi: 10.1155/2018/1825697 ] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Mamatha V. Knowledge Mapping of Alzheimer's Disease Research: A Scientometric Analysis. 2020.
- Guan J, Liu N. Measuring scientific research in emerging nano-energy field. J Nanopart Res. 2014;16(4):1-15. [Doi:org/10.1007/s11051-014-2356-8] [Googel scholar]
- Rasmussen K, Bero L, Redberg R, Gotzsche PC, Lundh A. Collaboration between academics and industry in clinical trials: cross sectional study of publications and survey of lead academic authors. BMJ. 2018;363:k3654. [Doi: 10.1136/bmj.k3654 ] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Garnweidner-Holme L, Lieberg HS, Irgens-Jensen H, Telle-Hansen VH. Facilitators of and barriers to collaboration between universities and the food industry in nutrition research: a qualitative study. Food Nutr Res. 2021;65. [Doi:10.29219/fnr.v65.7874 ] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Laterre PF, Francois B. Strengths and limitations of industry vs. academic randomized controlled trials. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2015;21(10):906-9. [Doi: 10.1016/j.cmi.2015.07.004 ] [PMID]
- Moser P, Ohmstedt J, Rhode PW. Patent citations—an analysis of quality differences and citing practices in hybrid corn. Manag Sci. 2018;64(4):1926-40.[ Doi:org/10.1287/mnsc.2016.2688]
- Orduna‐Malea E, Thelwall M, Kousha K. Web citations in patents: Evidence of technological impact? J Assoc Inform Sci Technol. 2017;68(8):1967-74. [Doi:org/10.1002/asi.23821]
- Wang G, Guan J. Measuring science–technology interactions using patent citations and author-inventor links: an exploration analysis from Chinese nanotechnology. J Nanopart Res. 2011;13(12):6245-62. [Doi:org/10.1007/s11051-011-0549-y ]
- de Almeida BP, Gonçalves E, da Silva AS, Reis RC. Internalization of knowledge spillovers by regions: a measure based on self-citation patents. Ann Reg Sci. 2021;66(2):309-30. [Doi:org/10.1007/s00168-020-01022-1]
- Zhan YX, Turner D, Tritz D, Natarajan K, Som M, Vassar M. Evaluation of articles in metabolism research on the basis of their citations. Biochem Med (Zagreb). 2021;31(1):010201. Epub 2021/01/01. [Doi: 10.11613/BM.2021.010201 ] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Ke Q. Comparing scientific and technological impact of biomedical research. J Informetrics. 2018;12(3):706-17. [Doi: org/10.1016/j.joi.2018.06.010]