Document Type : Original Research
Tirunelveli Medical College, Tamilnadu, India
Background & Objective: Triple-Negative Breast Carcinoma (TNBC) is characterized by an absence of estrogen receptor, progesterone receptor and HER2 neu expression, with distinct molecular, histological and clinical features, aggressive clinical course and a poor prognosis. The objective was to evaluate the expression of Cytokeratin5/6 (CK 5/6), Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 1 (EGFR 1), E-cadherin and Androgen receptor in tissue sections of TNBC.
Methods: All modified radical mastectomy samples received negative for the three markers were subjected to further studies with CK5/6, EGFR 1, E- cadherin and Androgen receptor staining. The clinical and pathological data were tabulated and statistically analysed using the Chi-square test, and cross-tabulation was done to assess the correlation between these markers.
Results: Of 94 samples classified as TNBC, 31 (33%) were positive for CK 5/6, 47 (50%) for EGFR, 32 (34%) for E Cadherin and Androgen receptor, respectively. We had one positive patient for all four markers, 13 patients were negative for all four. Thirty-five cases were positive for only one marker, 32 were positive for two markers, and 13 were positive for three markers. Analysis revealed certain interesting patterns, namely - E cadherin was the most common isolated marker expressed in our cohort of TNBC with 15 of 35 positives.
Conclusion: This study highlights the presence of a unique subtype of TNBC, which are negative for all the four markers studied here, with unique histomorphology of absent tumour necrosis and stromal lymphocytic infiltration being unique.
- Study done on 100 cases of Triple-Negative Breast Carcinoma in a tertiary care centre in South India.
- The immune histochemical expression was correlated with the tumour's demographic data, clinical, morbid and histopathological characteristics.
- A unique subset of triple-negative breast cancers, which were negative for CK 5/6, EGFR 1, E –Cadherin and Androgen receptor, was identified.
- These tumours had unique histomorphological features.
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Dikshit R, Eser S, Mathers C, Rebelo M, et al. Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012. Int J Cancer Res. 2015;136(5):E359-E86. [DOI:10.1002/ijc.29210] [PMID]
- Manoharan N, Tyagi BB, Raina V. Cancer incidences in rural Delhi-2004-05. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2010;11(1):73-7.
- Chopra R. The Indian Scene. J ClinOncol. 2001;15(19):106-11.
- Badve S, Dabbs DJ, Schnitt SJ, Baehner FL, Decker T, Eusebi V, et al. Basal-like and triple-negative breast cancers: a critical review with an emphasis on the implications for pathologists and oncologists. Mod Pathol. 2011;24(2):157-67. [DOI:10.1038/modpathol.2010.200] [PMID]
- Lehmann BD, Pietenpol JA, Tan AR. Triple-negative breast cancer: molecular subtypes and new targets for therapy. Am Soc Clin Oncol educ book 2015;35(1):e31-e9. [DOI:10.14694/EdBook_AM.2015.35.e31] [PMID]
- Lehmann BD, Bauer JA, Chen X, Sanders ME, Chakravarthy AB, Shyr Y, et al. Identification of human triple-negative breast cancer subtypes and preclinical models for selection of targeted therapies. J Clin Investig. 2011;121(7):2750-67. [DOI:10.1172/JCI45014] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Cheang MCU, Voduc D, Bajdik C, Leung S, McKinney S, Chia SK, et al. Basal-like breast cancer defined by five biomarkers has superior prognostic value than triple-negative phenotype. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14(5):1368-76. [DOI:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-1658] [PMID]
- Rakha EA, Reis-Filho JS, Ellis IO. Basal-like breast cancer: a critical review. Int J Clin Oncol. 2008;26(15):2568-81. [DOI:10.1200/JCO.2007.13.1748] [PMID]
- Yrden Y, Sliwkowski MX. Untangling the ErbB signalling network. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2001;2(2):127. [DOI:10.1038/35052073] [PMID]
- Gumbiner BM. Regulation of cadherin-mediated adhesion in morphogenesis. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2005;6(8):622-34. [DOI:10.1038/nrm1699] [PMID]
- Kalluri R, Weinberg RA. The basics of epithelial-mesenchymal transition. The Journal of clinical investigation. 2009;119(6):1420-8. [DOI:10.1172/JCI39104] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Rothberg BEG, Bracken MB. E-cadherin immunohistochemical expression as a prognostic factor in infiltrating ductal carcinoma of the breast: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2006;100(2):139-48. [DOI:10.1007/s10549-006-9248-2] [PMID]
- Rakha EA, Abd El Rehim D, Pinder SE, Lewis SA, Ellis IO. E‐cadherin expression in invasive non‐lobular carcinoma of the breast and its prognostic significance. Histopathology. 2005;46(6):685-93. [DOI:10.1111/j.1365-2559.2005.02156.x] [PMID]
- Thiery JP. Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in tumour progression. Nat Rev Cancer. 2002;2(6):442-54. [DOI:10.1038/nrc822] [PMID]
- McNamara KM, Moore NL, Hickey TE, Sasano H, Tilley WD. Complexities of androgen receptor signalling in breast cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2014;21(4):T161-T81. [DOI:10.1530/ERC-14-0243] [PMID]
- Safarpour D, Pakneshan S, Tavassoli FA. Androgen receptor (AR) expression in 400 breast carcinomas: is routine AR assessment justified? Am J Cancer Res. 2014;4(4):353.
- Elston CW, Ellis IO. Pathological prognostic factors in breast cancer. I. The value of histological grade in breast cancer: experience from a large study with long‐term follow‐ Histopathology. 1991;19(5):403-10. [DOI:10.1111/j.1365-2559.1991.tb00229.x] [PMID]
- Lester SC, et al. Protocol for the Examination of Specimens From Patients With Invasive Carcinoma of the Breast" Based on AJCC/UICC TNM. 7 ed2012.
- Gluz O, C L, N G, al e. Triple-negative breast cancer-current status and future directions. Ann Oncol. 2009(20):1913-27. [DOI:10.1093/annonc/mdp492] [PMID]
- Sorlie T, Tibshirani R, Parker J, Hastie T, Marron JS, Nobel A, et al. Repeated observation of breast tumor subtypes in independent gene expression data sets. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2003;100(14):8418-23. [DOI:10.1073/pnas.0932692100] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Foulkes WD, Smith IE, Reis-Filho JS. Triple-negative breast cancer. New England journal of medicine. 2010;363(20):1938-48. [DOI:10.1056/NEJMra1001389] [PMID]
- Waks AG, Winer EP. Breast cancer treatment: a review. Jama. 2019;321(3):288-300. [DOI:10.1001/jama.2018.19323] [PMID]
- Carey L, Winer E, Viale G, Cameron D, Gianni L. Triple-negative breast cancer: disease entity or title of convenience? Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2010;7(12):683-92. [DOI:10.1038/nrclinonc.2010.154] [PMID]
- Cheang MCU, Martin M, Nielsen TO, Prat A, Voduc D, Rodriguez-Lescure A, et al. Defining breast cancer intrinsic subtypes by quantitative receptor expression. Oncology. 2015;20(5):474. [DOI:10.1634/theoncologist.2014-0372] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Parker JS, Mullins M, Cheang MCU, Leung S, Voduc D, Vickery T, et al. Supervised risk predictor of breast cancer based on intrinsic subtypes. Int J Clin Oncol. 2009;27(8):1160. [DOI:10.1200/JCO.2008.18.1370] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Nielsen TO, Hsu FD, Jensen K, Cheang M, Karaca G, Hu Z, et al. Immunohistochemical and clinical characterization of the basal-like subtype of invasive breast carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10(16):5367-74. [DOI:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-0220] [PMID]
- Tan GH, Taib NA, Choo WY, Teo SH, Yip CH. Clinical characteristics of triple-negative breast cancer: experience in an Asian developing country. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2009;10(3):395-8.
- Bauer KR, Brown M, Cress RD, Parise CA, Caggiano V. Descriptive analysis of estrogen receptor (ER)‐negative, progesterone receptor (PR)‐negative, and HER2‐negative invasive breast cancer, the so‐called triple‐negative phenotype: a population‐based study from the California cancer Registry. J Cancer. 2007;109(9):1721-8. [DOI:10.1002/cncr.22618] [PMID]
- Plasilova ML, Hayse B, Killelea BK, Horowitz NR, Chagpar AB, Lannin DR. Features of triple-negative breast cancer: Analysis of 38,813 cases from the national cancer database. Med. 2016;95(35). [DOI:10.1097/MD.0000000000004614] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Rakha EA, El‐Sayed ME, Green AR, Lee AHS, Robertson JF, Ellis IO. Prognostic markers in triple‐negative breast cancer. J Cancer. 2007;109(1):25-32. [DOI:10.1002/cncr.22381] [PMID]
- Wetterskog D, Lopez‐Garcia MA, Lambros MB, A'Hern R, Geyer FC, Milanezi F, et al. Adenoid cystic carcinomas constitute a genomically distinct subgroup of triple‐negative and basal‐like breast cancers. Pathology. 2012;226(1):84-96. [DOI:10.1002/path.2974] [PMID]
- Martelotto LG, De Filippo MR, Ng CKY, Natrajan R, Fuhrmann L, Cyrta J, et al. Genomic landscape of adenoid cystic carcinoma of the breast. Pathology. 2015;237(2):179-89. [DOI:10.1002/path.4573] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Marchio C, Weigelt B, Reis-Filho JS. Adenoid cystic carcinomas of the breast and salivary glands (or 'The strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde'of exocrine gland carcinomas). J Clin Pathol. 2010;63(3):220-8. [DOI:10.1136/jcp.2009.073908] [PMID]
- Montagna E, Maisonneuve P, Rotmensz N, Cancello G, Iorfida M, Balduzzi A, et al. Heterogeneity of triple-negative breast cancer: histologic subtyping to inform the outcome. Clin Breast Cancer. 2013;13(1):31-9. [DOI:10.1016/j.clbc.2012.09.002] [PMID]
- Van Hoeven KH, Drudis T, Cranor ML, Erlandson RA, Rosen PP. Low-grade adenosquamous carcinoma of the breast. A clinocopathologic study of 32 cases with ultrastructural analysis. Am J Surg Pathol. 1993;17(3):248-58. [DOI:10.1097/00000478-199303000-00005] [PMID]
- Podetta M, D'Ambrosio G, Ferrari A, Sgarella A, Dal Bello B, Fossati GS, et al. Low-grade fibromatosis-like spindle cell metaplastic carcinoma: a basal-like tumor with a favorable clinical outcome. Report of two cases. Tumori. 2009;95(2):264-7. [DOI:10.1177/030089160909500224] [PMID]
- Li D, Xiao X, Yang W, Shui R, Tu X, Lu H, et al. Secretory breast carcinoma: a clinicopathological and immunophenotypic study of 15 cases with a review of the literature. Mod. 2012;25(4):567-75. [DOI:10.1038/modpathol.2011.190] [PMID]
- Kumar VL, Srivastava A, Singhal R, Kumar V. Immunoreactive estrogen receptor in breast tumor and adjacent tissue: association with clinicopathological characteristics in Indian population. J Surg Oncol. 2005;89(4):251-5. [DOI:10.1002/jso.20211] [PMID]
- Chen JH, Agrawal G, Feig B, Baek HM, Carpenter PM, Nalcioglu O, et al. Triple-negative breast cancer: MRI features in 29 patients. Ann Oncol. 2007;18(12):2042-3. [DOI:10.1093/annonc/mdm504] [PMID]
- Ahmed MY, El-Hennawy, Gabal SM, Salem MS, Ali MMA, A HA, Amin MD. Clinicopathological Characteristics of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Med. J Cairo Univ. 2015;83(1):797-803.
- Lerma E, Peiro G, Ramon T, Fernandez S, Martinez D, Pons C, et al. Immunohistochemical heterogeneity of breast carcinomas negative for estrogen receptors, progesterone receptors and Her2/neu (basal-like breast carcinomas). Mod Pathol. 2007;20(11):1200-7. [DOI:10.1038/modpathol.3800961] [PMID]
- Livasy CA, Karaca G, Nanda R, Tretiakova MS, Olopade OI, Moore DT, et al. Phenotypic evaluation of the basal-like subtype of invasive breast carcinoma. Mod Pathol. 2006;19(2):264-71. [DOI:10.1038/modpathol.3800528] [PMID]
- Bhargava R, Striebel J, Beriwal S, Flickinger JC, Onisko A, Ahrendt G, et al. Prevalence, morphologic features and proliferation indices of breast carcinoma molecular classes using immunohistochemical surrogate markers. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2009;2(5):444.
- Ryu D, Jung M, Choi W, Lee C. Clinical significance of morphologic characteristics in triple negative breast cancer. J Korean Surg Soc. 2011;80(5):301-6. [DOI:10.4174/jkss.2011.80.5.301] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Billar JAY, Dueck AC, Stucky C-CH, Gray RJ, Wasif N, Northfelt DW, et al. Triple-negative breast cancers: unique clinical presentations and outcomes. Ann Surg Oncol. 2010;17(3):384-90. [DOI:10.1245/s10434-010-1260-4] [PMID]
- Nassar A, Sookhan N, Santisteban M, Bryant SC, Boughey JC, Giorgadze T, et al. Diagnostic utility of snail in metaplastic breast carcinoma. Diagn Pathol. 2010;5(1):1-10. [DOI:10.1186/1746-1596-5-76] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Malzahn K, Mitze M, Thoenes M, Moll R. Biological and prognostic significance of stratified epithelial cytokeratins in infiltrating ductal breast carcinomas. Virchows Archiv. 1998;433(2):119-29. [DOI:10.1007/s004280050226] [PMID]
- Van De Rijn M, Perou CM, Tibshirani R, Haas P, Kallioniemi O, Kononen J, et al. Expression of cytokeratins 17 and 5 identifies a group of breast carcinomas with poor clinical outcome. Am J Pathol. 2002;161(6):1991-6. [DOI:10.1016/S0002-9440(10)64476-8]
- Rao C, Shetty J, Prasad KHL. Immunohistochemical profile and morphology in triple-Negative breast cancers. J Clin Diagnostic Res. 2013;7(7):1361. [DOI:10.7860/JCDR/2013/5823.3129] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Choccalingam C, Rao L, Rao S. Clinico-pathological characteristics of triple negative and non triple negative high grade breast carcinomas with and without basal marker (CK5/6 and EGFR) expression at a rural tertiary hospital in India. Basic Clin Cancer Res. 2012;6:BCBCR-S8611. [DOI:10.4137/BCBCR.S8611] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Thike AA, Cheok PY, Jara-Lazaro AR, Tan B, Tan P, Tan PH. Triple-negative breast cancer: clinicopathological characteristics and relationship with basal-like breast cancer. Mod. 2010;23(1):123-33. [DOI:10.1038/modpathol.2009.145] [PMID]
- Hashmi AA, Edhi MM, Naqvi H, Faridi N, Khurshid A, Khan M. Clinicopathologic features of triple negative breast cancers: an experience from Pakistan. Diagn Pathol. 2014;9(1):1-9. [DOI:10.1186/1746-1596-9-43] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Tang D, Xu S, Zhang Q, Zhao W. The expression and clinical significance of the androgen receptor and E-cadherin in triple-negative breast cancer. Clin Oncol. 2012;29(2):526-33. [DOI:10.1007/s12032-011-9948-2] [PMID]
- Shen T, Zhang K, Siegal GP, Wei S. Prognostic value of E-cadherin and β-catenin in triple-negative breast cancer. Am J Clin Pathol. 2016;146(5):603-10. [DOI:10.1093/ajcp/aqw183] [PMID]
- Kashiwagi S, Yashiro M, Takashima T, Nomura S, Noda S, Kawajiri H, et al. Significance of E-cadherin expression in triple-negative breast cancer. Br J Cancer. 2010;103(2):249-55. [DOI:10.1038/sj.bjc.6605735] [PMID] [PMCID]