Document Type : Original Research
Dept. of Radiology, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
Dept. of Pathology, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
Dept. of surgery, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
Background and Objectives:Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women worldwide. Fine needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB) is one of the methods of breast biopsy which is fast, easy and cost effective. The aim of this study was to evaluate the concordance rate between pathologic results of sonography or stereotaxy guided FNAB and guided core needle biopsy (CNB) in the evaluation of breast lesions.
Materials & Methods: During December 2010 until March 2011, 36 female patients with 37 breast lesions referred to FNAB and CNB with the guide of sonography in 35 lesions and with the guide of stereotaxy in 2 lesions. The kappa statistic used to calculate the concordance coefficient.
Results: The concordance rate between guided – FNAB and guided – CNB was 93% with using kappa coefficient. In 5 patients, subjected to breast surgery, malignancy was reported as well as in guided-FNAB or guided-CNB.
Conclusion: Because of high concordance between these two techniques in the assessment of breast lesions, guided FNAB is recommended in the first step. Guided-CNB can be reserved for lesions with insufficient pathology results by guided-FNAB.
- Mehrabani D, Almasi A, Farahmand M, Ahrari S, Rezaianzadeh A, Mehrabani G, et al. Incidence of breast cancer in Fars province, southern Iran: A hospital- based study. Word J Plast Surg 2012;1(1):16-21.
- Hadjisavvas A, Loizidou MA, Middleton N, Micheal TH, Papachristoforou R, Kakouri E, et al. An investigation of breast cancer risk factors in Cyprus: a case control study. BMC Cancer 2010;10:447.
- Heydari ST, Mehrabani D, Tabei SZ, Azarpira N, Vakili MA. Survival of breast cancer in southern Iran. Iran J Cancer Prevention 2009;2(1): 51-4.
- Sadjadi A, Nouraie M, Ghorbani A, Alimohammadian M, Malekzadeh R. Epidemiology of breast cancer in the Islamic republic of Iran: first results from a population- based cancer registry. East Mediterr Health J 2009;15(6):1426 –31.
- Kolahdoozan Sh, Sadjadi A, Radmard AR, Khademi H. Five common cancers in Iran. Arch Iran Med 2010;13(2):143–6.
- 6.Calderia JRF, Prando EC, Quevedo FC, Neto FAM, Rainho CA, Rogatto SR. CDHI promoter hypermethylation and E-cadherin protein expression in infiltrating breast cancer. BMC Cancer 2006;6:48.
- Rakha EA, Abd EL Rehim D, Pinder SE, lewis SA, Ellis IO. E-cadherin expression in invasive non-lobular carcinoma of the breast and its prognostic significance. Histopathology 2005;46:685-93.
- Knudsen KA, Wheelock MJ. Cadherins and the mammary gland. J Cell Biochem 2005; 95(3):488-96.
- Esserman LJ, Joe BN (2012). Diagnostic evaluation of women with suspected breast cancer. In: AB Chagpar, DF Hayes, RB Dudu (Ed.), Up To Date. Retrieved from www.uptodate.com/contents/diagnostic-evaluation-of-women-with-suspected-breast-cancer.
- Vimpeli SM, Saarenmaa I, Huhtala H, Soimakallio S. Large- core needle biopsy versus fine- needle aspiration biopsy in solid breast lesions: comparison of costs and diagnostic value. Acta Radiol 2008;49(8):863–69.
- Tse GM, Tan PH. Diagnosing breast lesions by fine needle aspiration cytology or core biopsy: Which is better? Breast Cancer Res Treat 2010;123:1-8.
- McManus DT, Anderson NH. Fine needle aspiration cytology of the breast. Curr Diagn Pathol 2001;7:262-71.
- Mohammed AZ, Edino ST, Ochicha O, Alhassan SU. Value of fine needle aspiration biopsy in preoperative diagnosis of palpable breast lumps in resource- poor countries: A Nigerian experience. Ann Afr Med 2005;4(1): 19-22.
- Chiu S, Chan LK. Us- guided biopsy of breast lesions: FNA vs. core biopsy. Biomed Imaging Interv J 2005;1(1):e6-4.
- Hatada T, Ichii Sh, Okada K, Fujiware Y, Yamamura T. Diagnostic value of ultrasound- guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy, core-needle biopsy and evaluation of combined use in the diagnosis of breast lesions. J Am Coll Surg 2000;190(3):299–303.
- Meunier M, Clough K. Fine needle aspiration cytology versus percutaneous biopsy of nonpalpable breast lesions. Eur J Radiol 2002;42:10-6.
- Lieske B, Ravichandran D, Wright D. Role of fine- needle aspiration cytology and core biopsy in the preoperative diagnosis of screen- detected breast carcinoma. Br J Cancer 2006;95 (1):62-6.
- Lieu D. Cytopathologist - performed ultrasound - guided fine needle aspiration and core - needle biopsy: a prospective study of 500 consecutive cases. Diagn Cytopathol 2008;36(5): 317 -24.
- Ricci MD, Calvan Filho CMC, De Oliveria FilhoHR, Filassi JR, Pinotti JA, Baracat ECh. Analysis of the concordance rates between core needle biopsy and surgical excision in patients with breast cancer. Rev Assoc Med Bras 2012;58(5):532-6.
- Kettriz U. Minimally invasive biopsy methods-diagnostics or Therapy? Personal opinion and review of the literature. Breast Care 2011;6:94-7.
- Garg S, Mohan H, Bal A, Attri AK, Kochhar S. A comparative analysis of core needle biopcy and fine needle aspiration cytology in the evaluation of palpable and mammographically detected suspicious breast lesions. Diagn Cytopathol 2007;35(11):681-9.
- Kaya S, Vural G, Eroglu K, Saln G, Mersin H, Karabeyoglu M, et al. Liability and validity of appropriateness evaluation protocol in Turkey. Int J Quality Health Care 2000;12(4):325–9.
- Chuo CB, Corder AP. Core biopsy vs fine needle aspiration cytology in asymptomatic breast clinic. Eur J Surg Oncol 2003;29(4):374-8.