Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
Dental Research Center, School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
Dept. of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Dept. of Pathology, Ghaem Hospital, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
The glandular odontogenic cyst (GOC) is a rare lesion with odontogenic origin. It shows a propensity for recurrence revealed in 30% of all case. This investigation reports a case of recurrent GOC in a 35-year-old female in the anterior region of the maxilla, which is uncommon and discusses about IHC finding, surgical methods, and differential diagnosis. Under general anesthesia, peripheral bone ostectomy via large round bur for removal of remaining epithelium of the cyst wall was done. Finally liquid nitrogen was used to remaining bone. This article recommends that soft tissue adjacent to the cortical bone perforation should be excised, as well as peripheral bone ostectomy by large round bur for removal of remaining epithelium of the cyst and liquid nitrogen application to the bony cavity. Because of high recurrence rate of the lesion close follow up of the patients is needed.
- Magnusson B, Göransson L, Odesjö B, Gröndahl K, Hirsch JM. Glandular odontogenic cyst.Report of seven cases. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 1997 ;26(1):26-31.
- van Heerden WF, Raubenheimer EJ, Turner ML. Glandular odontogenic cyst. Head Neck 1992;14(4):316-20.
- Economopoulou P, Patrikiou A. Glandular odontogenic cyst of the maxilla: report of case. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1995; 53(7):834-7.
- Noffke C, Raubenheimer EJ. The glandular odontogenic cyst: clinical and radiological features; review of the literature and report of nine cases. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2002; 31(6):333-8.
- Krishnamurthy A, Sherlin HJ, Ramalingam K, Natesan A, Premkumar P, Ramani P, Chandrasekar T. Glandular odontogenic cyst: report of two cases and review of literature. Head Neck Pathol 2009;3(2):153-8.
- Padayachee A, Van Wyk CW. Two cystic lesions with features of both the botryoid odontogenic cyst and the central mucoepidermoid tumour: sialo-odontogenic cyst? J Oral Pathol 1987 ;16(10):499-504.
- High AS, Main DM, Khoo SP, Pedlar J, Hume WJ. The polymorphous odontogenic cyst. J Oral Pathol Med 1996; 25(1):25-31.
- Prabhu S, Rekha K, Kumar G. Glandular odontogenic cyst mimicking central mucoepidermoid carcinoma. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2010; 14(1):12-5.
- Sadeghi EM, Weldon LL, Kwon PH, Sampson E. Mucoepidermoid odontogenic cyst. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1991; 20(3):142-3.
- Hussain K, Edmondson HD, Browne RM. Glandular odontogenic cysts. Diagnosis and treatment. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1995; 79(5):593-602.
- Rao JB, Jeevan Kumar KA, Kumar BP. Glandular odontogenic cyst involving the posterior part of maxillary sinus, a rare entity. J Maxillofac Oral Surg 2010; 9(1):72-5.
- Kasaboğlu O, Başal Z, Usubütün A. Glandular odontogenic cyst presenting as a dentigerous cyst: a case report. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2006;64(4):731-3.
- 13.Sittitavornwong S, Koebler James R, Said-Al-Naief N. Glandular odontogenic cyst of the anterior maxilla: case report and review of literature. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2006; 64(4):740-5.
- Fowler CB, Brannon RB, Kessler HP, Castle JT, Kahn MA.Glandular odontogenic cyst: analysis of 46 cases with special emphasis on microscopic criteria for diagnosis. Head Neck Pathol 2011;5(4):364-75.
- Gardner DG, Kessler HP, Morency R, Schaffner DL. The glandular odontogenic cyst: an apparent entity. J Oral Pathol 1988; 17(8):359-66.
- Araújo de Morais HH, José de Holanda Vasconcellos R, de Santana Santos T, Guedes Queiroz LM, Dantas da Silveira ÉJ. Glandular odontogenic cyst: case report and review of diagnostic criteria. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2012;40(2):e46-50.
- Kaplan I, Anavi Y, Manor R, Sulkes J, Calderon S. The use of molecular markers as an aid in the diagnosis of glandular odontogenic cyst. Oral Oncol 2005; 41(9):895-902.
- Oliveira JX, Santos KC, Nunes FD, Hiraki KR, Sales MA, Cavalcanti MG, Marcucci M. Odontogenic glandular cyst: a case report. J Oral Sci 2009; 51(3):467-70.
- Thor A, Warfvinge G, Fernandes R. The course of a long-standing glandular odontogenic cyst: marginal resection and reconstruction with particulated bone graft, platelet-rich plasma, and additional vertical alveolar distraction. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2006; 64(7):1121-8.
- Kaplan I, Gal G, Anavi Y, Manor R, Calderon S. Glandular odontogenic cyst: treatment and recurrence. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2005;63(4):435-41.