Document Type : Original Research
Dept. of Oral and Maxillofacial Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
Dept. of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Hamadan University of Medical Science, Hamadan, Iran.
Dept. of Oral and Maxillofacial Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz
Dept. of Pediatric Dentistry, Tabriz University of Medical Science, Tabriz, Iran
Dept. of Oral and Maxillofacial Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective: Lichen planus is a mucocutaneous disease which is relatively common and in 30-70% of patients, mucosal lesions can be seen and known as a precancerous lesion but its etiology is not completely understood. Desmogleins I and III are the main desmosomal transmembrane proteins. These proteins have been identified as the autoantigen of the autoimmune disease. The aim of this study was evaluation of serum autoantibodies against desmogleins Ι, ΙΙΙ in oral lichen planus. Methods: We attempted to determine the etiology of this disease with evaluation of these serum factors. Thirty-five patients with oral lichen planus and 35 healthy controls were recruited and tested for serum autoantibodies against desmogleins Ι, ΙΙΙ and indirect immunofluorescence also performed. Data were analyzed by statistical–analytical methods (Independent sample t-test) with using the SPSS.15 software. Results: Serum autoantibody against desmoglein Ι had no significant difference in the two groups (P=0.31) but significant increase in serum autoantibody to desmoglein ΙΙΙ was found in patients with oral lichen planus (P=0.00). Conclusion: It seems that autoantibody against desmoglein III has a significant role in the pathogenesis of oral lichen planus.
- Schlosser BJ. Lichen planus and lichenoid reactionsof the oral mucosa. Dermatol Ther 2010;23(3): 251–67.
- Ismail SB, Kumar SK, Zain RB. Oral lichen planusand lichenoid reactions: etiopathogenesis, diagnosis, management and malignant transformation. J OralSci 2007;49(2):89-106.
- Eversole LR. Immunopathogenesis of oral lichenplanus and recurrent aphthous stomatitis. Semin Cutan Med Surg 1997;16(4):284-94.
- Hartlieb E, Kempf B, Partilla M,Vigh B, Spindler V, Waschke J. Desmoglein 2 is less important than desmoglein 3 for keratinocyte cohesion. PLoS One 2013;8(1):e53739.
- Lukac J, Brozović S, Vucicević-Boras V, MravakStipetić M, Malenica B, Kusić Z. Serum autoantibodiesto desmogleins 1 and 3 in patients with oral lichen planus. Croat Med J 2006;47(1):53-8.
- Ingafou M, Lodi G, Olsen I, Porter SR. Oral lichen planus is not associated with IgG circulating antibodies to epithelial antigens. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral RadiolEndod 1997;84(2):175-8.
- Munde AD, Karle RR, Wankhede PK, Shaikh SS,Kulkurni M. Demographic and clinical profile of orallichen planus: A retrospective study. Contemp Clin Dent 2013;4(2):181–5.
- 8.Williams JR. The Declaration of Helsinki and public health. Bull World Health Organ 2008;86(8):650-2.