Document Type : Case Reports
Infectious Disease Department, Antimicrobial Resistance Research Center, School of Medicine,Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Dept. Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Dept. of Patholog, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Dept. of Cardiology, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Hydatid disease is endemic in some parts of the world. This disease can occur in any organ. We present a 22-year-old farmer who was suffering from hydatidosis for 4 years. He was admitted to the hospital because of fever, cough, and chest pain in 2004. A chest radiograph revealed multiple nodules in both of lungs. A transthoracic echocardiogram showed cystic lesion in the apex of right ventricle. IgG Ab ELISA for hydatid cyst was positive and albendazole was administrated. One year later, he was admitted to the hospital because of hemoptysis, a transthoracic lung biopsy was performed. Pathologic examination revealed laminated membrane of hydatid cyst in associated with fibrinoleukocytic exudates. Three years after the second admission, he was admitted to the hospital because of dyspnea. Iranian people especially who live in village need more information about the routes of prevention because therapy is difficult in some cases.
- Mandell GL, Bennett JE, Dolin RF. Mandell, Douglas and Bennett's priniciples and practice of infectious diseases. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Churchill livingstone; 2005.
- Zargar-Shoshtari M, Shadpour P, Robat-Moradi N, Moslemi M. Hydatid cyst of urinary tract: 11 cases at a single center. Urol J 2007;4(1):41-5.
- Mishra PK, Agrawal A, Joshi M, Sanghvi B, Gupta R, Parelkar SV. Minimal access surgery for multiorgan hydatid cyst. Afr J Paediatr Surg 2010;7(1): 40-2.
- Ishikawa Y, Sako Y, Itoh S, Ohtake T, Kohgo Y, Matsuno T, et al. Serological monitoring of progression of alveolar echinococcosis with multiorgan involvement by use of recombinant Em18. J Clin Microbiol 2009; 47(10): 3191-6.
- Mamishi S, Sagheb S, Pourakbari B. Hydatid disease in Iranian children. J Microbiol Immunol Infect 2007; 40(5): 428-31.
- ABU-ESHY SA. Some rare presentations of hydatid cyst (Echinococcus granulosus). J R Coll Surg Edinb 1998;43:347–52.
- Harandi MF, Hobbs RP, Adams PJ, Mobedi I, MorgaRyan UM, Thompson RC. Molecular and morphological characterization of Echinococcus granulosus of human and animal origin in Iran. Parasitol 2002; 125 (4) : 367-73.
- Tekinbas C, Turedi S, Gunduz A, Erol MM. Hydatid cyst disease of the lung as an unusual cause of massive hemoptysis: a case report. J Med Case Reports 2009; 23(3): 21.
- Moosavi SR, khajouei kermany H. Epigastric Mass Due to a Hydatid cyst of the pancreas. A case Report and Review of the literature. JOP 2007; 8(2): 232-34.
- Mohsen T, EL Beharry N, Maree T, Akl ES. Cardiac echinococcosis of the interventricular septum in early childhood: report of two cases. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2009; 137(1): e14-6.
- Jannati M, Nematti MH, Zamani J, Ammoee S. Asymptomatic cardiac hydatid cyst. IJMS 2006; 31(4): 232-34.
- Guven A, Sokmen G, Yuksel M, Kokoglu OF, Koksal N, Cetinkaya A. A case of asymptomatic cardiopericardial hydatid cyst. Jpn Heart J 2004; 45: 541-45.
- Yilmaz A, Tuncer LY, Damadoglu E, Sulu E, Takir HB, Selvi UB. Pulmonary hydatid disease diagnosed by bronchoscopy: a report of three cases. Respirology 2009; 14(1): 141-3.
- Horton RJ. Albendazole in treatment of human cystic echinococcosis: 12 years of experience. Acta Trop 1997; 64(1-2): 79-93.
- Wilson JF, Rausch RL, McMahon BJ, Schantz PM, Trujillon DE, O'Goman MA. Albendazole therapy in alveolar hydatid disease: reports in two patients after short term therapy. AM J Trop Med Hyg 1987; 37(1): 162-68.
- Stamatakos M, Sargedi C, Stefanaki CH, Safioleas C, Matthaiopoulou I, Safioleas M. Anthelminthic treatment: an adjuvant therapeutic strategy against Echinococcus granulosus. Parasitol Int 2009; 58(2): 115-20.
- Keshmiri M, Bahavahdat H, Fattahi SH, Davachi B, Dabiri RH, Baradaran H,et al. A placebo controlled study of albendazole in the treatment of pulmonary echinococcosis. Eur Respir J 1999; 14: 503-7.
- Jamshidi M, Mohraz M, Zanganeh M, Jamshidi A. The effect of combination therapy with albendazole and praziquantel on hydatid cyst treatment. Parasitol Resp 2008; 103(1): 195-9.