Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences, Pondicherry, India
Dept. of Biochemistry, Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences, Pondicherry, India
Dept. of Gastroenterology, Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences, Pondicherry, India
The presence of a low level of M protein in the peripheral blood <3gm/dl which is below the required cut off for the diagnosis of plasma cell myeloma is known as monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS). Elevated levels of serum M protein and detection of M band on serum protein electrophoresis (SPE) can occur in chronic diseases not related to B cell disorders and not always diagnostic for B cell dyscrasias. It can also be seen in non hematological malignancies as seen in our case. We present a case of MGUS in a 59yr male patient, previously diagnosed and surgically treated for carcinoma prostate and colon. Serum electrophoresis revealed an M Band – monoclonal protein of 1.9 gm/dl. Urine for Bence Jones proteins was negative and his skeletal X-rays did not reveal lytic lesions. Bone marrow aspiration revealed metastatic carcinoma. Plasma cells formed 1% of the bone marrow differential count.
- Kyle RA. Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance. Natural history in 241 cases. Am J Med 1978 May;64(5):814-26.
- Swerdlow S, Campo E, Harris N, Jaffe E, Pileri S, Stein H. WHO Classification of Tumors of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. 4 ed. Lyon: IARC; 2008.
- Bida JP, Kyle RA, Therneau TM, Melton LJ, III, Plevak MF, Larson DR, et al. Disease associations with monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance: a population-based study of 17,398 patients. Mayo Clin Proc 2009 Aug;84(8):685-93.
- Kyle RA, Therneau TM, Rajkumar SV, Larson DR, Plevak MF, Melton LJ, III. Long-term follow-up of 241 patients with monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance: the original Mayo Clinic series 25 years later. Mayo Clin Proc 2004 Jul;79(7):859-66.
- Kyle RA, Rajkumar SV. Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance. Br J Haematol 2006 Sep;134(6):573-89.
- Anagnostopoulos A, Galani E, Gika D, Sotou D, Evangelopoulou A, Dimopoulos MA. Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS) in patients with solid tumors: effects of chemotherapy on the monoclonal protein. Ann Hematol 2004 Oct;83(10):658-60.
- Gregersen H, Mellemkjaer L, Salling IJ, Sorensen HT, Olsen JH, Pedersen JO, et al. Cancer risk in patients with monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance. Am J Hematol 2000 Jan;63(1):1-6.
- Chen HP, Carroll JA. Monoclonal gammopathy in carcinoma of the colon. Am J Clin Pathol 1980 Apr;73(4):607-10.
- Chopra G, Gupta P, Mishra D. Evaluation of Suspected Monoclonal Gammopathies: Experience in a Tertiary Care Hospital. MJAFI 2006 Jun;(62):134-7.
- Bird J, Behrens J, Westin J, Turesson I, Drayson M, Beetham R, et al. UK Myeloma Forum (UKMF) and Nordic Myeloma Study Group (NMSG): guidelines for the investigation of newly detected M-proteins and the management of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS). Br J Haematol 2009 Oct;147(1):22-42.
- Hardiman KL, Horn S, Manoharan A, Phadke K, Gibson J, McGuigan L, et al. Rheumatic autoantibodies in the sera of patients with paraproteins. Clin Exp Rheumatol 1994 Jul;12(4):363-8.
- Idilman R, Colantoni A, De MN, Alkan S, Nand S, Van Thiel DH. Lymphoproliferative disorders in chronic hepatitis C. J Viral Hepat 2004 Jul;11(4):302-9.
- Malik AA, Ganti AK, Potti A, Levitt R, Hanley JF. Role of Helicobacter pylori infection in the incidence and clinical course of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance. Am J Gastroenterol 2002 Jun;97(6):1371-4.
- Zent CS, Wilson CS, Tricot G, Jagannath S, Siegel D, Desikan KR, et al. Oligoclonal protein bands and Ig isotype switching in multiple myeloma treated with high-dose therapy and hematopoietic cell transplantation. Blood 1998 May 1;91(9):3518-23.
- Caforio AL, Gambino A, Belloni FA, Piaserico S, Scarpa E, Feltrin G, et al. Monoclonal gammopathy in heart transplantation: risk factor analysis and relevance of immunosuppressive load. Transplant Proc 2001 Feb;33(1-2):1583-4.
- Radl J, Valentijn RM, Haaijman JJ, Paul LC. Monoclonal gammapathies in patients undergoing immunosuppressive treatment after renal transplantation. Clin Immunol Immunopathol 1985 Oct;37(1):98-102.
- Renoult E, Bertrand F, Kessler M. Monoclonal gammopathies in HBsAg-positive patients with renal transplants. N Engl J Med 1988 May 5;318(18):1205.