Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, Manipal University, Manipal, India
Dept. of Surgery, Manipal University, Manipal, India
Pulmonary aspergillosis is a well known entity occurring in immunocompetent persons. Cutaneous aspergillosis, on the other hand, has been described in cases of suppressed immunity. Recently, invasive aspergillosis has been reported in patients with subtle immune dysfunction such as those with critical illness and advanced cirrhosis. We report a case of scrotal aspergillosis in association with Fournier’s gangrene and necrotizing fasciitis in a patient with cirrhosis.
- van Burik JA, Colven R, Spach DH. Cutaneous aspergillosis. J Clin Microbiol 1998 Nov;36(11):3115-21.
- Chen Z, Li HM, Han W, Sang JH, Du J, Zhang WJ, et al. Genital cutaneous lesions in an allogeneic haematopoietic stem-cell transplant recipient with aspergillosis. Clin Exp Dermatol 2009 Jun;34(4):556-8.
- Powell CR, Allshouse M, Bethel KJ, Mevorach RA. Invasive aspergillosis of the scrotum. J Urol 1998 Apr;159(4):1306-8.
- Davido HT, Ryndin I, Kohler TS, Hadegard W, Monga M, Fung L. Aspergillosis of the scrotum: non-surgical management. Int J Urol 2007 Feb;14(2):164-6.
- Mohapatra S, Xess I, Swetha JV, Tanveer N, Asati D, Ramam M, et al. Primary cutaneous aspergillosis due to Aspergillus niger in an immunocompetent patient. Indian J Med Microbiol 2009 Oct;27(4):367-70.
- Romano C, Miracco C. Primary cutaneous aspergillosis in an immunocompetent patient. Mycoses 2003 Feb;46(1-2):56-9.
- Singh DK, Tyagi I, Saran RK, Gondal R. Fatal spontaneous Cryptococcal peritonitis in a woman with decompensated liver cirrhosis. Acta Cytol 2010 Sep;54(5 Suppl):1087-9.
- Lipke AB, Mihas AA. Non-decompensated cirrhosis as a risk factor for invasive aspergillosis: a case report and review of the immune dysfunction of cirrhosis. Am J Med Sci 2007 Oct;334(4):314-6.
- Prodanovic H, Cracco C, Massard J, Barrault C, Thabut D, Duguet A, et al. Invasive pulmonary aspergillosis in patients with decompensated cirrhosis: case series. BMC Gastroenterol 2007 Jan 31;7:2.:2.
- Chandler F, Watts J. Pathologic Diagnosis of Fungal Infections. Chicago: ASCP press; 1987.