Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India
Dept. of Otorhinolaryngology, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India
Leiomyoma of nasal cavity is a rare and benign tumor of smooth muscle origin that uncommonly arises from the nasal septum. We present an unusual case of histopathologically diagnosed locally extensive leiomyoma of the nasal septum which was clinically and radiologically misdiagnosed as malignancy of the nasal cavity. This case report emphasizes the rare occurrence of this entity at this site and highlights the need to consider this pre-operatively to avoid its associated significant bleeding and altogether different clinical management of this benign entity.
- Hanna GS, Akosa AB, Ali MH. Vascular leiomyoma of the inferior turbinate--report of a case and review of the literature. J Laryngol Otol 1988 Dec;102(12):1159-60.
- Singh R, Hazarika P, Balakrishnan R, Gangwar N, Pujary P. Leiomyoma of the nasal septum. Indian J Cancer 2008 Oct;45(4):173-5.
- Navarro Junior CR, Fonseca AS, Mattos JR, Andrade NA. Angioleiomyoma of the nasal septum. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2010 Oct;76(5):675.
- Maesaka A, Keyaki Y, Nakahashi T. Nasal Angio-Leiomyoma and Leiomyosarcoma: Report of Two Cases. Otologia 1966;(12):42-7.
- Agarwal AK, Bansal R, Singhal D. Sinonasal leiomyoma: report of 2 cases. Ear Nose Throat J 2005 Apr; 84(4):224, 226-4, 230.
- Barr GD, More IA, McCallum HM. Leiomyoma of the nasal septum. J Laryngol Otol 1990 Nov;104(11):891-3.
- Llorente JL, Suarez C, Seco M, Garcia A. Leiomyoma of the nasal septum: report of a case and review of the literature. J Laryngol Otol 1996 Jan;110(1):65-8.
- Tang SO, Tse CH. Leiomyoma of the nasal cavity. J Laryngol Otol 1988 Sep;102(9):831-3.
- Morimoto N. Angiomyoma (Vascular leiomyoma): a Clinicopathologic Study. Med J Kagoshima Univ 1973;(24):663-83.
- Tsobanidou C. Leiomyoma of the Nasal Cavity: Report of Two Cases and Review of Literature. Oral Oncol extra 2006 Nov;(42):255-7.