Document Type : Original Research
Dept. of Pathology, Rasoul- e- Akram Hospital, Tehran University of Medical sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background and Objectives: Gastrointestinal polyps are proliferative or neoplastic mucosal lesions. The most important point about these polyps is risk of malignancy of them. This study was performed to determine type and frequency of polyps of gastrointestinal tract in Iranian population according to their locations.
Materials and Methods: Totally, 210 patients referred to Rasul-e-Akram Hospital in years 2006-2010 and had pathology report of gastrointestinal polyps were included in the study. Frequency of gastrointestinal polyps was determined according to type, histological subtype, location, age and sex. The data was analyzed by software SPSS 16.
Results: Of participants, 129 patients were male (61.4%) and 81 (38.6%) were female. The mean age of patients was 58.4±32 yr. The mode of age interval was 70-80 yr (25.2%). The most frequent presenting symptom was lower gastrointestinal bleeding as melena or hematochesia (31%). Colon and sigmoid were site of most of gastrointestinal polyps (74.2%). The most prevalent type of gastrointestinal polyps was adenomatous polyp which was reported in 175 patients (84.3%). The most common types of colonic and gastric polyps were adenomatous and hyperplastic types respectively.
Conclusion: Our data is highly confirmatory to previous studies regarding association of polyp with advanced age and male sex, the most prevalent symptom and site of gastrointestinal polyps, and the most common types of colonic polyps. The frequency of gastric polyps in our population differs with some studies.
- O'Connor A, Keane RA, Egan B, Lee N, O'Connor H, Qasim A, et al. Adherence to colorectal polyp surveillance guidelines: is there a 'scope' to increase the opportunities for screening? Eur J Cancer Prev 2011;20(1):40-5.
- Wiseman J, Emil S. Minimal access surgical management of large juvenile polyps in children. J Pediatr Surg 2009;44(9):e9-13.
- Brunagel G, Schoen RE, Getzenberg RH. Colon cancer specific nuclear matrix protein alterations in human colonic adenomatous polyps. J Cell Biochem 2004 Feb 1;91(2):365-74.
- Gschwantler M, Kriwanek S, Langner E, Goritzer B, Schrutka-Kolbl C, Brownstone E, et al. High-grade dysplasia and invasive carcinoma in colorectal adenomas: a multivariate analysis of the impact of adenoma and patient characteristics. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2002;14(2):183-8.
- Itzkowitz SH. Gastrointestinal adenomatous polyps. Semin Gastrointest Dis 1996;7(2):105-16.
- Aldridge AJ, Simson JN. Histological assessment of colorectal adenomas by size. Are polyps less than 10 mm in size clinically important? Eur J Surg 2001;167(10):777-81.
- Sharifi D, Akglagh M. Review of 145 patients with gastrointestinal polyps of Ghaem Medical Center, Mashhad. Med J Mashad University Medl Sci 2000 Sep 29;69(43):25-32.
- Bafandeh Y, Daghestani D, Esmaili H. Demographic and anatomical survey of colorectal polyps in an Iranian population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2005;6(4):537-40.
- Bafandeh Y, Khoshbaten M, Eftekhar-Sadat AT, Farhang S. Colorectal neoplasms in symptomatic patients without evidence of bleeding: a prospective study in an Iranian population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2007;8(4):485-8.
- Khodadoostan M, Fatemi R, Maserat E, Hooshang A, Alizade M, Molaie M, et al.. Clinical and pathological characteristics of colorectal polyps in Iranian population. East Afr J Public Health 2010;7(2):157-9.
- Siddiqui A, Pena Sahdala HN, Nazario HE, Mahgoub A, Patel M, Cipher D, et al.. Obesity is associated with an increased prevalence of advanced adenomatous colon polyps in a male veteran population. Dig Dis Sci 2009;54(7):1560-4.
- Neri E, Faggioni L, Cini L, Bartolozzi C. Colonic polyps: inheritance, susceptibility, risk evaluation, and diagnostic management. Cancer Manag Res 2010 Dec 30;3:17-24.:17-24.
- Lim TR, Mahesh V, Singh S, Tan BH, Elsadig M, Radhakrishnan N, et al. Endoscopic mucosal resection of colorectal polyps in typical UK hospitals. World J Gastroenterol 2010 Nov 14;16(42):5324-8.
- Consolo P, Luigiano C, Pellicano R, Ferrara F, Giacobbe G, Morace C, et al. Endoscopic resection as a safe and effective technique for treatment of pedunculated and non-pedunculated benign-appearing colorectal neoplasms measuring 40 mm or more in size. Minerva Med 2010;101(5):311-8.
- Sung HY, Cheung DY, Cho SH, Kim JI, Park SH, Han JY, et al. Polyps in the gastrointestinal tract: discrepancy between endoscopic forceps biopsies and resected specimens. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009;21(2):190-5.
- Nam JH, Yang CH. [Clinical characteristics and risk factors of colon polyps in gyeongju and pohang area]. Korean J Gastroenterol 2008;52(3):142-9.
- Blumberg D. Laparoscopic colon resection of benign polyps: high grade dysplasia on endoscopic biopsy and polyp location predict risk of cancer. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2009;19(3):255-7.
- Joo MK, Park JJ, Lee WW, Lee BJ, Hwang JK, Kim SH, et al. Differences in the prevalence of colorectal polyps in patients undergoing endoscopic removal of gastric adenoma or early gastric cancer and in healthy individuals. Endoscopy 2010;42(2):114-20.
- Gencosmanoglu R, Sen-Oran E, Kurtkaya-Yapicier O, Avsar E, Sav A, Tozun N. Gastric polypoid lesions: analysis of 150 endoscopic polypectomy specimens from 91 patients. World J Gastroenterol 2003;9(10):2236-9.
- Jain R, Chetty R. Gastric hyperplastic polyps: a review. Dig Dis Sci 2009;54(9):1839-46.
- Carmack SW, Genta RM, Schuler CM, Saboorian MH. The current spectrum of gastric polyps: a 1-year national study of over 120,000 patients. Am J Gastroenterol 2009;104(6):1524-32.
- Attard TM, Yardley JH, Cuffari C. Gastric polyps in pediatrics: an 18-year hospital-based analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2002;97(2):298-301.
- Sivelli R, Del RP, Bonati L, Sianesi M. [Gastric polyps: a clinical contribution]. Chir Ital 2002;54(1):37-40.
- Borch K, Skarsgard J, Franzen L, Mardh S, Rehfeld JF. Benign gastric polyps: morphological and functional origin. Dig Dis Sci 2003;48(7):1292-7.
- Abraham SC, Singh VK, Yardley JH, Wu TT. Hyperplastic polyps of the esophagus and esophagogastric junction: histologic and clinicopathologic findings. Am J Surg Pathol 2001;25(9):1180-7.