Document Type: Original Research
Dept. of Pathology, School of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Science, Mashhad, Iran
Dept. of Radiation Oncology, School of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Science, Mashhad, Iran
Background and Aims: P504S (AMACR) is a mitochondrial enzyme expressed in renal cell carcinoma. Some of immunohistochemical markers in renal cell tumors are independent prognostic factor and show relation with histologic grading. AMACR expression increases with higher histological grading in different tumors; however, in RCC it is not obvious. In this study, we tried to investigate if any relation existed between nuclear grading in renal cell carcinoma and P504S.
Materials & Methods: Fort five cases of formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissue of renal cell carcinoma with different nuclear grades were selected and immunostained using primary antibody to P504s and quantified with H-Score, multiplicative (Mqs) and Additive quick score (Aqs).
Results: P504S was positive in 37 out of 45 (82%) cases. (Mean ± SD) of H-Score: grade I =182±44. II=218±161, III=215±55, IV=190. Mean ± SD of Add quick score: grade I= 6.6± 1.8, II= 7.24±1.4, III= 7.78±1.2, IV= 8. Mean ± SD of Multi quick score: grade I= 9± 5.6, II= 11.38±5, III =12.89±4.7, IV= 12. (Aqs Vs H- Score: r = 0.701, P < 0.007), (Mqs Vs H-Score: r = 0.808, P < 0.001)
Conclusion: P504S is one of the important immunohistochemical markers in primary and metastatic RCC. Our results show that there is no statistically correlation between histological grade of RCC and AMACR staining in semi – quantitative measurement. We suggest AMACR staining to be used as a diagnostic immunohistochemical marker in conjunction with other markers in differential diagnosis of metastatic renal papillary and even clear cell carcinoma.
- Mills SE, Carter D, Reuter VE, Greenson JK, Stoler MH, Oberman HA. Sternberg's diagnostic surgical pathology. 4th ed. Philadelphia:Lippincott Williams and Wilkins;2004.
- Rosai J. Rosai And Ackerman's surgical pathology. 10th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier;2011.
- Dabbs DJ. Diagnostic Immunohistochemistry. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier;2006.
- Nessar A, Amin MB, Sexton DG, Cohen C. Utility of alpha-methylacyl coenzyme A racemase (P504s antibody) as a diagnostic immunohistochemical marker for cancer. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 2005;13(3): 252-5.
- Detre S, Jotti GS, Dowsett M. A "quick score" method for immunohistochemical semiquantitation: validation for estrogen receptor in breast carcinomas. J Clin pathol 1995;48(9):876-8.
- Sharifi N, Ayatollahi H, Ghaffarzadegan K, Ghiasi MT, Farhmand MJ, Jafarian AH. Quickscore assessment in Bcl-2 and Bax protein expression in invasive ductal carcinoma of breast and relation with other molecular markers.Virchow Archiv 2008;452(Suppl):S131-S132.
- Kim H, Cho NH, Kim DS, Kwon YM, Kim EK, Rha SH, et al. Renal cell carcinoma in south korea: A multicenteric study. Hum Pathol 2004;35(12): 1556-63.
- P504s. 2007.Available at: www. e-immunohistochemistry. Info/web /P504s. htm 2009.
- Molinie V, Balaton A, Rotman S, Mansouri D, De Pinieux I, Homsi T, et al. Alpha-Methyl-CoA racemase expression in renal cell carcinomas. Hum Pathol 2006;37(6):698-703.
- Jiang Z, Fanger GR, Woda BA, Banner BF, Algate P, Dresser K, et al. Expression of alpha-methylacylcoA racemase (P504s) in various malignant neoplasms and normal tissue : a study of 761 cases. Hum Pathol 2003;34(8): 792-6.
- Went PT, Sauter G, Oberholzer M, Bubendorf L. Abundant expression of AMACR in many distinct tumor types. Pathology 2006;38(5):426-32.
- Gunia S, May M, Scholmann K, Storkel S, Hoschke B, Koch S, et al. Expression of alpha-methyacyl –CoA racemase correlates with histopathologic grading in noninvasive bladder cancer. Virchows Arch 2008;453(2):165-70.
- Langner C, Rupar G, Leib S, Hutterer G, Chromecki T, Rehak P, et al. Alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase (AMACR/P504s) protein expression in urothelial carcinoma of the upper urinary tract correlates with tumour progression. Virchows Arch 2006;448(3):325-30.
- Kuefer R, Varambally S, Zhou M, Lucas PC, Loeffler M, Wolter H , et al. Alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase: Expression levels of this novel cancer biomarker depend on tumor differentiation. Am J Pathol 2002;161:841-8.
- Murphy AJ, Hughes CA, Lannigan G, Sheils O, O' Leary J, Loftus B. Heterogenous expression of alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase in prostatic cancer correlates with gleason score. Histopathology 2007;50(2):243-51.
- Rubin MA, Zhou M, Dhanasekeran SM, Varambally S,Barrette TR , Sanda MG, et al. Alpha-methylcoenzyme A racemase as a tissue biomarker for prostate cancer. JAMA 2002;287:1662-70.
- Paner GP, Srigley JR, Radhakrishnan A, Cohen C, Skinnider BF, Tickoo SK, et al. Immunohistochemical analysis of mucinous tubular and spindle cell carcinoma and papillary renal cell carcinoma of the kidney: significant immunophenotypic overlap warrants diagnostic caution. Am J Surg Pathol 2006;30(1):13-9.
- Tretiakova MS, Sahoo S, Takahashi M, Turkyilmaz M. Volgelzang NI, Lin F, et al. Expression of alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase in papillary renal cell carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol 2004;28(1):69-76.
- Ficarra V, Righetti R, Martigneni G, D’ Amico A, Pilloni S, Rabilotta E, et al. Prognostic value of renal cell carcinoma nuclear grading: multivariate analysis of 333 cases. Urol Int 2001;67(2):130-4
- Lin F, Brown RE, Shen T, Yang XJ, Schuerch C. Immunohistochemical detection of P504s in primary and metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 2004;12(2):153-9.
- Logani S, Oliva E, Arnell PM, Amin MB, Young RH. Use of novel immunohistochemical markers expressed in colonic adenocarcinoma to distinguish primary ovarian tumors from metastatic colorectal carcinoma. Mod Pathol 2005;18(1):19-25.
- Stolnicu S, Borda A, Radulescu D, Puscasiu L, Berger N, Nogales FF. Metastasis from Papillary renal cell carcinoma masquerading as primary ovarian clear cell tumor. Pathol Res Pract 2007;203(11):819-22.