Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Parasitology, Kashan University of Medical Sciences, Kashan, Iran
Hydatid disease, caused by larval stage of Echinococcus granulosus, is a common parasitic infection of human and animal. Although liver and lung are the most commonly affected area, hydatid cyst may develop any part of the body. Primary subcutaneous hydatid cyst is extremely rare. We report a case of 54 years old man who presented with palpable mass in scapular region from 3 years ago. Present and past medical history was not significant finding. Pathologic evaluation identified the cystic structure as unilocular hydatid cyst. Primary hydatid disease constitutes a potentially serious differential diagnosis of any subcutaneous mass in endemic area of hydatid disease.
- Henry JB. Clinical Diagnosis and Management by laboratory Methods. 21st ed. New York:Sunders;2007.
- Mandell GI, Bennet JE, Dolin R, editors. Principles and practice of infectious disease. Philadelphia:Churchill Livingston Inc;2005.
- Babu KS, Goel D, Prayaga A, Rao IS, Kumar A. Intra abdominal hydatid cyst: a case report. Acta Cytol 2008;52(4):464-6.
- Dănilă N, Chifan M, Prescorniţă L, Andronic D, Taraşi C, Crumpei F. Rare location of a hydatid cyst- in the upper mediastinum migrating into the spinal channel. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2001;105(3):573-5.
- Brunetti E, Kern P, Vuitton DA. Writing Panel for the WHO-IWGE. Expert consensus for the diagnosis and treatment of cystic and alveolar echinococcosis in humans. Acta Trop 2010;114(1):1-16.
- Akhbari Sh, Ehsanbakhsh AR, Khorashadizadeh N. Hydatid disease of the breast, case report. Ofogh-e-Danesh 2009;15(2):65-70.
- Kireşi DA, Karabacakoğlu A, Odev K, Karaköse S. Uncommon locations of hydatid cysts. Acta Radiol 2003;44(6):622-36.
- Memis A, Arkun R, Bilgen I, Ustun EE. Primary soft tissue hydatid disease: report of two cases with MRI characteristics. Eur Radiol 1999; 9(6):1101-3.
- Orhan Z, Kara H, Tuzuner T, Sencan I, Alper M. Primary subcutaneous cyst hydatic disease in proximal thigh: an unusual localization: a case report. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2003;7(4):25.
- Sallami S, Ayari K, Oueslati B, Miladi M. Isolation of subcutaneous hydatid cyst. Tunis Med 2011;89(3):314-5
- Al-Ibrahim J. Prevalence of hydatid cyst disease in west Bank-Palestine. An-Najah:National University publication;2009.
- Sayek I, Onat D. Diagnosis and treatment of uncomplicated hydatid cyst of the liver. World J Surg 2001;25(1):21-7.
- John TD, Petri WA. Markell and voges Medical Parasitology. 9th Ed. Missouri:Saunders;2006.
- Chevalier X, Rhamouni A, Bretagne S, Martigny J, Larget-Piet B. Hydatid cyst of the subcutaneous tissue without other involvement: MR imaging features. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1994;163(3):645-6.
- Kayaalp C, Dirican A, Aydin C. Primary subcutaneous hydatid cyst: A review of 22 cases. Int J Surg 2011;9:117-21.
- Ousadden A, Elbouhaddouti H, Ibnmajdoub KH, Mazaz K, Aittaleb K. A solitary primary subcutaneous hydatid cyst in the abdominal wall of a 70-year-old woman: a case report. J Med Case Reports 2011;5(1):270.
- Neumayr A, Troia G,de Bernardis C, Tamarozzi F, Goblirsch S, Piccoli L, et al. Justified concern or exaggerated fear: the risk of anaphylaxis in percutaneous treatment of cystic echinococcosis-a systematic literature review. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2011;5(6):e1154.
- Farzam R, Ghaempanah A, Feyzi A. Intramuscular hydatid cyst of the thigh: a case presentation. J Zanjan Univ Med Sci 2011;18(73):83-8.
- Suryawanshi P, Khan AQ, Jatal S. Primary hydatid cyst of pancreas with acute pancreatitis. Int J Surg Case Rep 2011 2(6):122-4.