Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Dental Research Center, Faculty of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Dept. of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral and Maxillofacial Diseases Research Center, Faculty of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
In 1991, Handlers and colleagues described the Central odontogenic fibroma (COF) as a distinct entity which is a rare benign odontogenic tumour and up to the present, only 78 cases of it have been published. COF usually occurs in an adult patient and has a predilection for the anterior region of the jaws. A 2.8:1 female to mail ratio is typically noted. This article presents a case of COF in a 50-year-old male in the right side of mandible and discuss about the clinic pathological findings, radiographic feature, differential diagnosis, as well as surgical technique of the COF.
- Handlers JP, Abrams AM, Melrose RJ, Danforth R. Central odontogenic fibroma: clinicopathologic features of 19 cases and review of the literature.J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1991; 49(1):46-54.
- Hrichi R, Gargallo-Albiol J, Berini-Aytés L, Gay-Escoda C. Central odontogenic fibroma: retrospective study of 8 clinical cases. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2012;1;17(1):e50-5.
- Ikeshima A, Utsunomiya T. Case report of intra-osseus fibroma: a study on odontogenic and desmoplastic fibromas with a review of the literature. J Oral Sci 2005;47(3):149-57.
- Daniels JS. Central odontogenic fibroma of mandible: a case report and review of the literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2004;98(3):295-300.
- Cicconetti A, Bartoli A, Tallarico M, Maggiani F, Santaniello S. Central odontogenic fibroma interesting the maxillary sinus. A case report and literature survey. Minerva Stomatol 2006; 55(4):229-39.
- Brannon RB. Central odontogenic fibroma, myxoma (odontogenic myxoma, fibromyxoma), and central odontogenic granular cell tumor. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 2004; 16(3):359-74.
- Said-Al-Naief N, Fernandes R, Louis P, Bell W, Siegal GP. Desmoplastic fibroma of the jaw: a case report and review of literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2006;101:82-94.
- Mosqueda Taylor A, Bermúdez Flores V, Díaz Franco MA.Combined central odontogenic fibroma and giant cell granuloma-like lesion of the mandible: report of a case and review of the literature.J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1999;57(10):1258-62.
- Odell EW, Lombardi T, Barrett AW, Morgan PR, Speight PM. Hybrid central giant cell granuloma and central odontogenic fibroma-like lesions of the jaws.Histopathology 1997;30(2):165-71.
- Noffke CE, Raubenheimer EJ, Chabikuli NJ, Bouckaert MM. Odontogenic myxoma: review of the literature and report of 30 cases from South Africa. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007;104:101-9.
- Chen Y, Li TJ, Gao Y, Yu SF. Ameloblastic fibroma and related lesions: a clinicopathologic study with reference to their nature and interrelationship. J Oral Pathol Med 2005;34:588-95.