Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research (HIMSR), Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, India
Dept. of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research (HIMSR), Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, India
Endometrial calcification along with ossification is an uncommon clinical entity. Most of the cases are asymptomatic or present with secondary infertility. Endometrial ossification associated with repeated abortions has been reported very infrequently. Here we report a case of endometrial calcification with ossification due to retained fetal bony tissue in a 38 year old symptomatic female having previous history of two abortions. This case highlights the importance of detailed clinical history, ultrasonographic and endometrial evaluation along with histopathological examination in a patient having repeated abortions. It also emphasizes the need to consider endometrial tuberculosis in the differential diagnosis of endometrial calcification and subsequent ossification especially in areas where tuberculosis is rampant.
- Wetzels LCG, Essed GGM, deHaan J, van de Kar AJF, Willebrand D. Endometrial ossification: unilateral manifestation in a septate uterus. Gynecol Obstet Invest 1982; 14:47-5.
- T Umashankar, Patted S, Handigund RS. Endometrial osseous metaplasia: Clinicopathologoical study of a case and literature review. J Hum Reprod Sci 2010; 3(2):102-4.
- Bhatia NN, Hoshiko MG. Uterine osseous metaplasia. Obstet Gynecol 1982;60:256-9.
- Rosa-e-Silva JC, Barcelos ID, Navarro PA, Rosa-e-Silva ACJ, Nogueira AA, Ferriani RA. Osseous metaplasia of the endometrium associated with infertility: a case report and review of the literature. J Med Case Rep 2009;3:7427.
- Bahceci M, Demirel LC. Osseous metaplasia of the endometrium: a rare cause of infertility and its hysteroscopic management. Human Reprod 1996;11(11):2537-9.
- Moon HS, Park YH, Kwon HY, Hong SH, Kim SK. Iatrogenic secondary infertility caused by residual intrauterine fetal bone after midtrimester abortion. Am J Otet Gynecol 1997;176:369.
- Acharya U, Pinion SB, Parkin DE, Hamilton MP. Osseous metaplasia of the endometrium treated by hysteroscopic resection. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1993;100:391-2.
- Degani S, Gonen R, deVries K, Shar M. Case report. Endometrial ossification associated with repeated abortions. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1983;62:280-1.
- Waxman M, Moussouris HF. Endometrial ossification following an abortion. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1978;130:587-8.
- Ceccacci L, Clancy G. Endometrial ossification report of an additional case. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1981;141:103- 4.
- Al-Shawaf T, Brown J, Keegan C. Retention of fetal bones 8 years following termination of pregnancy. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 1992;2:61-63.
- Dajani YF, Khalaf SM. Intrauterine bone contraceptive device: an accident of nature. Fertil Steril 1985;3:149.
- Ghaffari F, Tehraninejad ES, Kiani K. Retained Fetal Bone in Infertile Patients: Two Case Reports. Royan Institute Int J of Fertil and Steril 2009;3(3):153-4.
- Shroff CP, Kudterkar NG, Badhwar VR. Endometrial ossification- report of three cases with literature review. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 1985;28:71-4.