Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, New Delhi, India
Dept. of Pathology, Kasturba Hospital, New Delhi, India
The endometrial stromal nodule is a benign tumor composed of differentiated endometrial stromal cells arranged as a well circumscribed nodule with smooth non-invasive margins. They are rare neoplasms, diagnosed in most instances by microscopy. Although nodules are benign in nature, hysterectomy is the treatment of choice to enable evaluation of the tumor margins which are well demarcated in endometrial stromal nodule and infiltrative in low grade endometrial stromal sarcoma. We present here a case of a 46 year old female with history of menorrhagia and a preoperative clinical diagnosis of uterine leiomyoma followed by a definitive diagnosis of endometrial stromal nodule. Experience with endometrial stromal nodule is limited, hence we emphasize on the fact that these are rare and benign tumours which should be distinguished from other invasive malignant stromal tumors with a more sinister prognostic course.
- Tavassoli FA, Devilee P. Pathology and genetics of the breast and female genital organs. Lyon: IARC Press; 2003.
- Alaoui Fdili FZ, Chaara H, Bouguern H, Melhouf MA, Fatemi H, Belmlih A, et al. Endometrial Stromal Nodule: Report of a case. Case Report Med 2011; (2011):260647. doi:10.1155/2011/260647.
- Elagoz S, Kivanc F, Aker H, Arici S, Ozer H, Guvenal T, et al. Endometrial stromal tumors- a report of 5 cases. Aegean Pathol J 2005;2:140-5.
- Ryuko K, Takahashi K, Miyakazi K. A case of endometrial stromal nodule. Shimane J Med Sci 1996;14:27-8.
- Silverberg SG, Kurman RJ. Tumors of the Uterine Corpus and Gestational Trophoblastic Disease. Atlas of Tumor Pathology. 3rd Series. Washington:AFIP;1992.
- Dionigi A, Oliva E, Clement PB, Young RH. Endometrial stromal nodules and endometrial stromal tumors with limited infiltration: a clinicopathologic study of 50 cases. Am J Pathol 2002;26(5):567-81.
- Kim KR, Jun SY, Park IA, Ro JY, Nam JH. Endometrial stromal tumor with limited infiltration and probable extrauterine metastasis: report of a case. Ann Diag Pathol 2005;9(1):57-60.
- Tavassoli FA, Norris HJ. Mesenchymal tumors of the uterus.VII. A clinicopathological study of 60 endometrial stromal nodules. Histopathology 1981;5(1):1-10.
- Geetha V, Rupashree S, Bhatt SS. Endometrial stromal nodule with smooth muscle differentiation. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2008;51:76-7.
- Baker P, Oliva E. Endometrial stromal tumors of the uterus: a practical approach using conventional morphology and ancillary techniques. J Clin Pathol 2007;60:235-43.
- Zhu XQ, Shi YF, Chang XD, Zhua CL, Wu YZ. Immunohistochemical markers in differential diagnosis of endometrial stromal sarcoma and cellular leiomyoma. Gynecol Oncol 2004;92(1):71-9.