Document Type : Original Research
Dept. of Surgery, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran.
Infectious and Tropical Disease Research Center, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran.
Dept. of Pathology, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
Background and Objectives: Sputum smear staining for acid-fast bacilli is initial approach to the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB) but more than 50% of cases are sputum smear-negative. This study was aimed to investigate the diagnostic value of fiberoptic bronchoscopy (FOB) guided bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) in patients suspected to have tuberculosis. Methods: This prospective cross-sectional study was carried out on 290 sputum smear-negative patients who were clinically suspicious for PTB in 2006-12. All patients were subjected to FOB andBAL, then BAL specimens stained and cultured. Results: Of the 290 patients, 173 cases (59.7%) were men and 117 cases (40.3%) were women with the age of 52.6±19.1 years (ranged 20-76 years). Of the total 290 BAL specimens, 110 specimens (38%) were positive for acid-fast bacilli. Sensitivity, specificity, PPV and NPV was 60%, 91%, 89% and 64%, respectively. Also, LR+ and LR- was 64.6% and 0.44%, respectively. Conclusion: FOB guided BAL is a reliable, rapid and useful method for establishing the diagnosis of smear negative PTB with minimal complications.
- Lange Ch, Mori T. Advances in the diagnosis of tuberculosis. Respirology 2010;15(2):220-40.
- Shin JA, Chang YS, Kim TH, Kim HJ, Ahn CM, Byun MK. Fiberoptic bronchoscopy for the rapid diagnosis of smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis. BMC Infect Dis2012;12:141.
- Zumla A, Raviglione M, Hafner R, Von Reyn CF. Tuberculosis. N Engl J Med 2013;368-754-55.
- World Health Organization (WHO) estimates of tuberculosis incidence by rate, 2011(stored by rate) 2013 Available in: http://www.who.int/gho/publications/world_health_statistics/EN_WHS2013_Full.pdf.
- Boonsarngsuk V, SuwannaphongS, Laohavich CH. Combination of adenosine deaminase activity and polymerase chain in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in the diagnosis of smear-negative active pulmonary tuberculosis. Int Infect Dis 2012;16(9):663-8.
- Jacomelli M, Silva PRAA, Rodrigues AJ, Demarzo SE, Seicento M, Figueiredo VR. Bronchoscopy for the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in patients with negative sputum smear microscopy results. J Bras Pneumol 2012;38(2):167-73.
- Quaiser S, Agarwal A, Khan R, Haque Sh F. Fiberoptic bronchoscopy, as a valuable diagnostic option in sputum negative pulmonary tuberculosis: A prospective study. Int Appl Basic Med Res 2012;2(2):123-7.
- Kamal R, Sharma R, Sahasrabuddhe T, Dash SK, Showkat M,Gaikwad N. A prospective study to evaluate the utility of bronchoalveolar lavage by fiberoptic bronchoscopy in sputum smear negative patients with high suspicion of pulmonary tuberculosis. Med J Dr.D.Y.Patil Univ 2012;5(1):43-6.
- Yuksekol I, Bal S, Ozkan M, Bedrihan I, Tozkoparan E, Demiric N, et al. The value of fiberoptic bronchoscopy in the diagnosis of smear negative pulmonary tuberculosis. Tuberk Toraks 2003;51(4):405-9.
- Pipatvech K, Kiatboonsri S, Boonsarngsuk V, Hongmanee P, Choothakan S. The value of post-bronchoscopy sputum examination in the diagnosis of smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis. Thai J Tuberculosis Chest Dis Crit Care 2007:45-50.
- Kalawat U,Sharma KK, Reddy PNR, Kumar AG. Study of bronchoalveolar lavage in clinically and radiologically suspected cases of pulmonary tuberculosis. Lung India 2010;27(3):122-4.
- Mohan A, Sharma SK. Fiberoptic bronchoscopy in the diagnosis of sputum smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis: current status. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2008;50(1)67-78.
- Tamura A, Shimada M, Matsui Y, Kawashima M, Suzuki J, Ariga H, et al. The value of fiberoptic broncoscopy in culture-positive pulmonary tuberculosispatients whose pre-bronchoscopic sputum specimens were negative both for smear and PCR analyses. Inter Med 2010;49:95-102.
- Altaf Bachh A, Gupta R, Hag I, Varudkar HG. Diagnosing sputum/smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis: Does fibre-optic bronchoscopy play a significant role? Lung India 2010;27(2):58-62.
- Chandra TJ, Dash S, Srinivas G, Prabhakara PV. A study on rapid confirmation of pulmonary tuberculosis in smear-negative acid fast bacilli cases by using fiberoptic bronchoscopy, done through a trans oropharyngeal spacer.J Family Community Med 2012; 19(1):43-6.
- Worodria W, Davis JL, Cattamanchi A, Andama A, Den Boon S, Yoo SD et al. Bronchoscopy is useful for diagnosing smear-negative tuberculosis in HIV-infected patients. Eur Respir J 2010;36:446-56.
- Kumar A, Kumar Gupta A, Haroon Khan M. Role of flexible fiberoptic bronchoscopy in suspected sputum smear negatine pulmonary tuberculosis cases microscopy center under RNTCP. Int J Med Sci public Health 2014;3(1).
- Menon PR, Lodha R, Singh U, Kabra SK. A prospective assessment of the role of bronchoscopy and bronchoalveolar lavage in evaluation of children with pulmonary tuberculosis. J Trop Pediatr 2010 doi:10.1093/tropej.