Dept. of Pathology, Grant Medical College, Mumbai, India
Mucinous carcinoma of the breast is a well differentiated, rare histological type of invasive ductal carcinoma, seen in oldest median age (69 years). We describe a case of a 60 yr old female with large right breast mass of 10 years duration with no nodal involvement. The reasons to present this case are 1) Because of its rarity. 2) Despite having a large tumour size, the axillary lymph node is not involved, hence rendering favourable prognosis. 3) Fine needle aspiration cytology can be used as an important tool in early detection of pure mucinous carcinoma of breast. 4) Careful clinical examination should be performed when suspicious for mucinous carcinoma because lymph node metastasis changes prognosis and treatment modalities .5) Pure mucinous carcinomas should be distinguished from mixed neoplasm, because the latter have a poorer prognosis that is most likely related to the extent of invasive carcinoma lacking extracellular mucin.
- TE Wilson, MA Helvie, HA Oberman , LK Joynt. Pure and mixed mucinous carcinoma of the breast: pathologic basis for differences in mammographic appearance. AJR 1995;165(2):285-9.
- Venkatachalapathy TS, Sreeramulu PN. A Case Report of Mucinous Carcinoma of Left Breast. J Clin Case Rep 2012;2(8):1000136.
- Ishikawa T, Hamaguchi Y, Ichikawa Y, Shimura M, Kawano N, Nakatani Y, et al. Locally advanced mucinous carcinoma of the breast with sudden growth acceleration: a case report. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2002;32(2):64-7.
- Tan PH, Tse GM, Bay BH. Mucinous breast lesions: diagnostic challenges. J Clin Pathol 2008;61(1):11-9.
- Di Saverio S, Gutierrez J, Avisar E. A retrospective review with long term follow up of 11,400 cases of pure mucinous breast carcinoma. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2008;111(3):541-7.
- Scopsi L, Andreola S, Pillotti S, Bufalino R, Baldini MT, Testori A, et al. Mucinous carcinoma of the breast. A clinicopathologic, histochemical, and immunocytochemical study with special reference to neuroendocrine differentiation. Am J Surg Pathol 1994;18(7):702-11.
- Cardenosa G, Doudna C, Eklund GW. Mucinoous (colloid) breast cancer. Clinical and mammographic findings in 10 patients. AJR 1994;162(5):1077-9.
- 8) Memis A, Ozdemir N, Parildar M, Ustun EE, Erhan Y. Mucinous (colloid) breast cancer: mammographic and US features with histologic correlation. Eur J Radiol 2000;35(1):39-43.
- Matsuda M, Yoshimoto M, Iwase T, Takahasi K, Kasumi F, Akiyama F, et al. Mammographic and clinicopathological features of mucinous carcinoma of the breast. Breast Cancer 2000; 7(1):65–70.
- Dhillon R, Depree P, Metcalf C, Wylie E. Screen-detected mucinous breast carcinoma: potential for delayed diagnosis. Clin Radiol 2006;61(5):423–30.
- Sharma S, Bansal R, Khare A, Agrawal N. Mucinous carcinoma of breast: Cytodiagnosis of a case. J Cytol 2011; 28:(1):42-4.
- Clayton F. Pure mucinous carcinomas of breast: morphologic features and prognostic correlates. Hum Pathol 1986;17(1) :34-8.
- 13) Di Saverio S,Gutierrez J, Avisar E. A retrospective review with long term follow up of 11,400 cases of pure mucinous breast carcinoma. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2008;111(3):541-7.
- Diab SG, Clark GM, Osborne CK, Libby A, Allred DC, Elledge RM. Tumorcharacteristics and clinical outcome of tubular and mucinous breast carcinomas. J Clin Oncol 1999; 17(5):1442–8.
- Rosen PP, Lesser ML, Arroyo CD, Cranor M, Borgen P, Norton L.p53 in node-negative breast carcinoma: an immunohistochemical study of epidemiologic risk factors, histologic features, and prognosis. J Clin Oncol 1995;13(4):821-30.
- Rosen PP. Mucocele-like tumors of the breast. Am J Surg Pathol 986;10(7):464-9.
- Park S, Koo J, Kim JH, Yang WI, Park BW, Lee KS. Clinicopathological characteristics of mucinous carcinoma of the breast in Korea: comparison with invasive ductal carcinoma-not otherwise specified. J Korean Med Sci 2010; 25(3):361- 8.
- Yerushalmi R, Hayes MM, Gelmon KA. Breast carcinoma - rare types: review of the literature. Ann Oncol 2009;20(11):1763-70.
- Komenaka IK, El-Tamer MB, Troxel A, Hamele-Bena D, Joseph KA, Horowitz E et al. Pure mucinous carcinoma of the breast. Am J Surg. 2004;187(4):528-32.
- Cao AY, He M, Liu ZB, Di GH, Wu J, Lu JS, et al . Outcome of Pure Mucinous Breast Carcinoma Compared to Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma: A Population-based Study from China. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012;19(9):3019-27.