Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Histopathology, SRL (Religare) Reference Laboratory, Gurgaon , India
Proliferating pilomatricoma is a distinctive rare variant of pilomatricoma first described in 1997.Very few cases of proliferating pilomatricoma have been reported in the literature until date. This report is a case of 65 years old male presenting with hard nodular lump on the right side of neck slowly increasing in size for the last 8 months. Wide excision of the lump was performed with clear surgical margins. Histopathology revealed a tumor mass composed of lobular proliferation of basaloid cells in association with adjacent focal areas containing cornified material with shadow cells. Variable nuclear atypia and scattered mitotic activity was noted in basaloid cells, so a final diagnosis of proliferating pilomatricoma was rendered. This report herein reviews histopathological features of this rare entity.
- Boit P, Burg G, Weedon D, Sarasin A. Pathology and Genetics of skin tumors. Lyon:IARC press;2006.
- Kaddu S, Soyer HP, Wolf IH, Kerl H. Proliferating Pilomatricoma. J Cutan Pathol 1997; 24:228-34.
- Sakai A, Maruyama Y, Hayashi A. Proliferating Pilomatricoma; a subset of Pilomatricoma. J Plast reconstr Aesthet Srug 2007; 61:811-4.
- Haque JS, Maheshwari M, Ryatt KS, Abdullah A. Proliferating Pilomatricoma Mimicking Pyogenic Granuloma. J Eur Acad Dermatol 2007;21:688-9.
- Niiyama S, Amoh Y, Saito N, Takasu H, Katsuoka K. Proliferating Pilomatricoma Europ J of Dermatol 2009;19(2):188-89.
- Ji-Won B, Chan-Yi B, Bo-Hee Y, Hee-Jin S, Hyeon-Sook L, Jeong-Hyun S, et al. Proliferating Pilomatricoma. Am J Dermapathol 2011;33(7):754-5.
- Tabbon B, Cerroni L. Where pigmented pilomatricoma and melanocytic matricoma collide. Am J Dermatopathol 2010;32(8):769-73.
- Sagol O, Ozer E. Basal cell carcinoma of the skin with matrical differentiation, a case report. Eastern J Med 1999;4(1):37-8.
- Melancon JM, Tom WL, Lee RA, Jackson M, Jiang SB. Management of Pilomatrix Carcinoma: A Case Report of Successful Treatment with Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Review of the Literature. Dermatol Sur 2011;37(12):1798-805.
- Jeong IS, Oh BS, Kim SJ, Yun CH, Beom MS, Kim DW. Pilomatrix Carcinoma in the Chest Wall around an Eloesser Open Window - A case report. Korean J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011;44(3):269–71.