Document Type: Original Research
Dept. of Pathology, Shalamar Medical & Dental College Lahore, Pakistan
Background and Objective: Laboratory errors are one of the major factors that affect the diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and monitoring in patients.The objective of study is to evaluate the frequency and type of errors in different phases of testing at the Pathology Department of the Shalamar Hospital, Lahore and to evaluate the causes of errors.
Methods: This observational study was carried out in Shalamar Hospital Laboratories Lahore from 1st July 2011 to 31st December 2011. Errors detected and documented on daily basis.
Results: A total of 127,500 samples were received and processed during the six months period. Out of the total samples, 1530 (1.2) errors were detected. Among all errors pre-analytical errors were most common, with a frequency of 70.4%, post-analytical 17.5% and analytical 12.1%.
Conclusions: Our study demonstrates the types and frequencies of errors. It is very important to monitor the all phases so to reduce the frequency of error for better reporting of lab results, ultimately which ensures the patient well-being.
- Ottomano C. Errors in medicine and errors in laboratory medicine: What is the difference? Blood transfusion 2010;8:79-81.
- Chhillar N, Khurana S, Agarwal R, Kumar N. Effects of pre-analytical errors on quality of laboratory medicine at neuropsychiatry institute in North India. Ind J Clin Biochem 2010;26(1):46-9.
- Lippi G, Banfi G, Buttarello M, Ceriotti F, Daves M, Dolci A, et al. Recommendations for detection and management of unsuitable samples in clinical laboratories. Clin Chem Lab Med 2007;45(6):728-36. Sharma P. Editorial pre-analytical variables and laboratory performance. Ind J Clin Biochem 2009;24(2):109–10.
- Akan OA, Elmali E, Karaeren Z. Evaluation of pre-analytical errors in clinical laboratory. Lab Med 2006;37(8):478-80.
- Carraro P, Plebani M. Errors in a Stat Laboratory: Types and frequencies 10 years later. Clin Chem 2007;53(7):1338–42.
- Bonini P, Plebani M, Ceriotti F, Rubboli F. Errors in laboratory medicine. Clin Chem 2002;48:691–8.
- Howanitz PJ. Errors in laboratory medicine: practical lessons to improve patient safety. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2005;129:1252–61.
- Astion ML, Shojana KG, Hamil TR, Kim S, Ng VL. Classifying laboratory incidents reports to identify problems that jeopardize patient safety. Am J Clin Pathol 2003; 120:18–26.
- Lippi G, Bassi A, Brocco G, Montagnana M, Salvagno GL, Guidi GC et al: Pre-analytic error tracking in a laboratory medicine department: results of a 1-year experience. Clin Chem 2006;52(7):1442-3.