Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Molecular Pathology, Research Center, Imam Reza University Hospital, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences, Kermanshah, Iran
Although breast tuberculosis still remains rare, but in endemic countries should be in differential diagnosis of breast cancer and abscess. Imaging modalities cannot distinguish between cancer and tuberculosis. Acid fast bacilli stain; culture and PCR are helpful diagnostic methods but unfortunately are not very sensitive. Negative results do not rule out this diagnosis, so it seems definite diagnosis can be made by open biopsy and histologic evidence (granuloma tissues). In this case, a 33 years old woman was referred to the Infectious Ward in Imam Reza Hospital, Medical University of Kermanshah, western Iran in 2011; complaining of one lump in her left breast which did not response to usual therapy (painkillers and antibiotics). Fine needle aspiration for histologic and cytologic evaluations were negative but open biopsy showed granulomatous tissues, anti-tuberculosis chemotherapy was begun and response was significant then PCR was reported positive. We think in endemic area, empirical treatment can be started based on histological evidence and proper clinical manifestation.
- Sen M, Gorpelioglu C, Bozer M. Isolated primary breast tuberculosis report of three cases and review of the literature. Clinics 2009;64(6):607-10.
- Kervancioglu S, Kervancioglu R, Ozkur A, SAirikci A. Primary tuberculosis of the breast. Diagn Interv Radiol 2005;11(4):210-2.
- Mirsaeidi SM, Masjedi MR, Mansouri SD, Velayati AA. Tuberculosis of the breast: report of 4 clinical cases and literature review. Eas Mediter Health J 2007; 13(3):670-6.
- Khanna R, Prasanna GV, Gupta P, Kumar M, Khanna S, Khanna AK. Mammary tuberculosis: report on 52 cases. Postgrad Med J 2002; 78(921):422-4.
- Tewari M, Shukla HS. Breast tuberculosis: diagnosis, clinical features & management. Indian J Med Res 2005; 122(2):103-10.
- Kapan M, Toksoz M, Bakir SD, Sak ME, Evsen MS. Tuberculosis of breast. Eur J Gen Med 2010;7(2):216-9.
- Wani I, Lone AM, Malik R, Wani KA, Wani RA, Hussain I, et al. Secondary tuberculosis of breast: case report. ISRN Surgery 2011;Article ID 529368.
- Kao PT, Tu MY, Tang SH, Ma HK. Tuberculosis of the breast with erythema nodosum: a case reprt. J Med Case Rep 2010;29(4):124.
- Ghorbani G, Tavakoli F. Tuberculosis of breast in a woman with history of prolactinoma: A case report. J Reprod Infertil 2002; 1: 63-8.
- Atamanalp S, Gundogdu C, Polat P, Ozturk G, Aydinli B, Oren D, et al. Clinical presentation of breast tuberculosis in eastern Anatolia. Turk J Med Sci 2010;40(2):293-7.
- Yuen J, Lam T, Leong L. Primary tuberculosis of the breast. J HK Coll Radiol 2003;6:33-5.
- Ahmed R, Sultan F. Granulomatous mastitis: a review of 14 cases. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2006;18(1):52-4.
- .Fadaei-Araghi M, Geranpayeh L,Frani S,Matloob R,Kuraki S.Case report Breast tuberculosis:Report of eight cases. Arch Iranian Med 2008;11(4):463-65.
- Tewari M, Shukla HS. breast tuberculosis:diagnosis, clinical features and management.Indian J Med;122:103-110.