Document Type: Original Research
Department of Pathology, Cancer Institute of Iran, Imam Khomeini Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Iran National Tumor Bank, Cancer Institute of Iran, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective: Nowadays, actin-binding proteins such as Villin and Gelsolin have been considered to be associated with aggressive tumors. This study mainly aims to determine the relationship between Gelsolin and Villin genes expression and metastasis of axillary lymph nodes in patients with breast cancer.
Methods: The included population consisted of 40 confirmed cases of female breast cancer (including 20 patients with breast cancer along with axillary lymph node metastasis and 20 patients without axillary lymph node metastasis). Expression of Villin and Gelsolin genes was evaluated using Real-time PCR and pre-designed primers.
Results: The mean expression level of Villin in groups with and without axillary lymph node metastasis was 3.33±1.35 and 0.87±0.88, respectively (p <0.001). The mean Gelsolin expression levels in both groups (with and without axillary lymph node metastasis) were 4.13±2.40 and 1.00±0.35, respectively (p <0.001). The significant relationships were independent of individuals’ age.
Conclusion: Patients with axillary lymph node metastasis may express significant higher level of Villin and Gelsolin gens.
- Hassanipour S, Maghsoudi A, Rezaeian S, Arab-Zozani M, Mokhtari AM, Abdzadeh E, et al. Survival Rate of Breast Cancer in Eastern Mediterranean Region Countries: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Ann Glob Health. 2019;85(1):138. [DOI:10.5334/aogh.2521] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Key TJ, Verkasalo PK, Banks E. Epidemiology of breast cancer. Lancet Oncol. 2001;2(3):133-40. [DOI:10.1016/S1470-2045(00)00254-0]
- Imanian M, Imanian M, Karimyar M. Sleep Quality and Fatigue among Breast Cancer Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy. International journal of hematology-oncology and stem cell research. 2019;13(4):196-200. [DOI:10.18502/ijhoscr.v13i4.1894] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Draper L. Breast cancer: trends, risks, treatments, and effects. AAOHN J. 2006;54(10):445-51; quiz 52-3. [DOI:10.1177/216507990605401004] [PMID]
- Lu C, Sun H, Huang J, Yin S, Hou W, Zhang J, et al. Long-term sleep duration as a risk factor for breast cancer: evidence from a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017. [DOI:10.1155/2017/4845059] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Sadoughi F, Lotfnezhad Afshar H, Olfatbakhsh A, Mehrdad N. Application of Canonical Correlation Analysis for Detecting Risk Factors Leading to Recurrence of Breast Cancer. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2016;18(3):e23131. [DOI:10.5812/ircmj.23131]
- Tao Z, Shi A, Lu C, Song T, Zhang Z, Zhao J. Breast Cancer: Epidemiology and Etiology. Cell Biochem Biophys. 2015;72(2):333-8. [DOI:10.1007/s12013-014-0459-6] [PMID]
- Schneeweiss A, Lux MP, Janni W, Hartkopf AD, Nabieva N, Taran F-A, et al. Update breast cancer 2018 (part 2)-advanced breast cancer, quality of life and prevention. Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd. 2018;78(3):246. [DOI:10.1055/s-0044-101614] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Group EBCTC. Effect of radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery on 10-year recurrence and 15-year breast cancer death: meta-analysis of individual patient data for 10 801 women in 17 randomised trials. The Lancet. 2011;378(9804):1707-16. [DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61629-2]
- Madison BB, Dunbar L, Qiao XT, Braunstein K, Braunstein E, Gumucio DL. Cis elements of the villin gene control expression in restricted domains of the vertical (crypt) and horizontal (duodenum, cecum) axes of the intestine. J Biol Chem. 2002;277(36):33275-83. [DOI:10.1074/jbc.M204935200] [PMID]
- Yang Z. The utility of villin and mammaglobin in the differential diagnosis between intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and breast cancer. Applied immunohistochemistry & molecular morphology. 2015;23(1):19-25. [DOI:10.1097/PAI.0000000000000035] [PMID]
- Hoskin V, Szeto A, Ghaffari A, Greer PA, Cote GP, Elliott BE. Ezrin regulates focal adhesion and invadopodia dynamics by altering calpain activity to promote breast cancer cell invasion. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26(19):3464-79. [DOI:10.1091/mbc.E14-12-1584] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Baig RM, Mahjabeen I, Sabir M, Masood N, Ali K, Malik FA, et al. Mutational spectrum of Gelsolin and its down regulation is associated with breast cancer. Dis Markers. 2013;34(2):71-80. [DOI:10.1155/2013/795410] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Winston JS, Asch HL, Zhang PJ, Edge SB, Hyland A, Asch BB. Downregulation of gelsolin correlates with the progression to breast carcinoma. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2001;65(1):11-21. [DOI:10.1023/A:1006446108411] [PMID]
- Asch HL, Winston JS, Edge SB, Stomper PC, Asch BB. Down‐regulation of gelsolin expression in human breast ductal carcinoma in situ with and without invasion. Breast cancer research and treatment. 1999;55(2):177-86. [DOI:10.1023/A:1006203632228] [PMID]
- Asch HL, Winston JS, Edge SB, Stomper PC, Asch BB. Down‐regulation of gelsolin expression in human breast ductal carcinoma in situ with and without invasion. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 1999;55(2):177-86. [DOI:10.1023/A:1006203632228] [PMID]
- Noske A, Denkert C, Schober H, Sers C, Zhumabayeva B, Weichert W, et al. Loss of Gelsolin expression in human ovarian carcinomas. Eur J Cancer. 2005;41(3):461-9. [DOI:10.1016/j.ejca.2004.10.025] [PMID]
- Bansal C, Singh US, Misra S, Sharma KL, Tiwari V, Srivastava AN. Comparative evaluation of the modified Scarff-Bloom-Richardson grading system on breast carcinoma aspirates and histopathology. CytoJournal. 2012;9:4. [DOI:10.4103/1742-6413.92550] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Mohammadpour H, Hashemi M, Saffari M, Razavi ANE. Comparative Analyses of Villin and HER-2 Genes Expression in Breast Cancer. Archives of Breast Cancer. 2015:120-4.
- Tutunchi S, Saffari M, Mazaheri M, Nourmohammadi P, Memari F, Shirkoohi R, et al. Evaluating Gelsolin Gene Expression Among Iranian Breast Cancer Patients. Bas & ClinCancer Res. 2018;10(4):16-25.
- Zhu WY, Hunag YY, Liu XG, He JY, Chen DD, Zeng F, et al. Prognostic evaluation of CapG, gelsolin, P-gp, GSTP1, and Topo-II proteins in non-small cell lung cancer. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2012;295(2):208-14. [DOI:10.1002/ar.21523] [PMID]
- Abedini MR, Wang PW, Huang YF, Cao M, Chou CY, Shieh DB, et al. Cell fate regulation by gelsolin in human gynecologic cancers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111(40):14442-7. [DOI:10.1073/pnas.1401166111] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Ma L, Zhang XH, Xing LX, Li YH, Wang XL, Wang YJ. [Relationship of ezrin protein expression to the carcinogenesis and prognosis of infitrating breast ductal carcinoma]. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi. 2008;30(4):279-83.
- Yang Z. The utility of villin and mammaglobin in the differential diagnosis between intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and breast cancer. Appl Immunohistochem Mol. 2015;23(1):19-25. [DOI:10.1097/PAI.0000000000000035] [PMID]
- Deng R, Hao J, Han W, Ni Y, Huang X, Hu Q. Gelsolin regulates proliferation, apoptosis, migration and invasion in human oral carcinoma cells. Oncol Lett. 2015;9(5):2129-34. [DOI:10.3892/ol.2015.3002] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Omran OM, Al Sheeha M. Cytoskeletal Focal Adhesion Proteins Fascin-1 and Paxillin Are Predictors of Malignant Progression and Poor Prognosis in Human Breast Cancer. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol. 2015;34(3):201-12. [DOI:10.1615/JEnvironPatholToxicolOncol.2015013663] [PMID]
- Arango D, Al-Obaidi S, Williams DS, Dopeso H, Mazzolini R, Corner G, et al. Villin expression is frequently lost in poorly differentiated colon cancer. Am J Pathol. 2012;180(4):1509-21. [DOI:10.1016/j.ajpath.2012.01.006] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Moll R, Robine S, Dudouet B, Louvard D. Villin: a cytoskeletal protein and a differentiation marker expressed in some human adenocarcinomas. Virchows Archiv B. 1987;54(1):155-69. [DOI:10.1007/BF02899208] [PMID]
- Batra S, Vaid AK, Bhargava R, Singh A. Malignancy knows no boundaries. Case Reports. 2013;2013:bcr2013010383. [DOI:10.1136/bcr-2013-010383] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Bacchi CE, Gown AM. Distribution and pattern of expression of villin, a gastrointestinal-associated cytoskeletal protein, in human carcinomas: a study employing paraffin-embedded tissue. Lab Invest. 1991;64(3):418-24.