Document Type: Original Research
Faculty of Dentistry, Shahed University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry, Shahed University
Department of Periodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Shahed University
Background & Objective: Micronucleus assay of buccal mucosa cells is a simple bio- monitoring method for diagnosing the genetic damages of toxic agents. The aim was to study the genotoxic effect of waterpipe smoking on buccal mucosa cells using micronucleus assay.
Methods: This was a case control. A total of 30 male waterpipe smokers and 30 non-smokers were included in the study. The exfoliated buccal mucosa cells were scrapped using wooden spatula and were spread over glass slides. The mean number of micronuclei was determined using Feulgen-stained slides. The number of micronuclei per 1000 cells was calculated and compared between the two groups of smokers and non-smokers.
Results: The mean number of micronuclei in waterpipe smokers and non-smokers was 1.94±0.39 and 1.68±0.35, respectively. The micronuclei count in waterpipe smokers was significantly higher than non-smokers (P=0). The difference between the number of waterpipe smoking and micronuclei count was significantly different (P=0).
Conclusion: The mean number of micronuclei in buccal mucosa cells of waterpipe smokers was significantly higher than non-smokers. The genotoxicity effect of waterpipe was dose-dependent.
- Shihadeh A, Azar S, Antonios C, Haddad A. Towards a topographical model of narghile water-pipe café smoking: a pilot study in a high socioeconomic status neighborhood of Beirut, Lebanon. Pharmacol Biochem Behav.2004; 79:75-82. [DOI:10.1016/j.pbb.2004.06.005] [PMID]
- Maziak W, Ward KD, Afifi Soweid RA, Eissenberg T. Tobacco smoking using a waterpipe: a re-emerging strain in a global epidemic. Tob Control. 2004; 13:327-33. [DOI:10.1136/tc.2004.008169] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Nafae A, Misra SP, Dhar SN, Shah SN. Bronchogenic carcinoma in Kashmir Valley. Indian J Chest Dis.1973; 15:285-95.
- El-Hakim IE, Uthman MA. Squamous cell carcinoma and keratoacanthoma of the lower lip associated with "Goza" and "Shisha" smoking. Int J Dermatol. 1999; 38:108-10. [DOI:10.1046/j.1365-4362.1999.00448.x] [PMID]
- Stich HF, Curtis JR, Parida BB. Application of the micronucleus test to exfoliated cells of high cancer risk groups: tobacco chewers. Int J Cancer. 1982; 30:553-9. [DOI:10.1002/ijc.2910300504] [PMID]
- Chatterjee S, Dhar S, Sengupta B, Ghosh A, De M, Roy S, etal. Cytogenetic monitoring in human oral cancers and other oral pathology: the micronucleus test in exfoliated buccal cells. Toxicol Mech Methods.2009; 19: 427-33. [DOI:10.1080/15376510903127530] [PMID]
- Ramirez A, Saldanha PH. Micronucleus investigation of alcoholic patients with oral carcinomas. Genet Mol Res.2002; 1:246-60.
- Sarto F, Finotto S, Giacomelli L, Mazzotti D, Tomanin R, Levis AG. The micronucleus assay in exfoliated cells of the human buccal mucosa. Mutagenesis. 1987; 2:11-7. [DOI:10.1093/mutage/2.1.11] [PMID]
- Stich HF, Rosin MP, Vallejera MO. Reduction with vitamin A and beta-carotene administration of proportion of micronucleated buccal mucosal cells in Asian betal nut and tobacco chewers.Lancet.1984; 1:1204-6. [DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(84)91692-1]
- El-Setouhy M, Loffredo CA, Radwan G, Abdel Rahman R, Mahfouz E, Israel E, etal. Genotoxic effects of waterpipe smoking on the buccal mucosa cells. Mutat Res. 2008; 655:36-40. [DOI:10.1016/j.mrgentox.2008.06.014] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Klokkevold PR, Newman MG, Takei HH, editors. Carranza's clinical periodontology. Elsevier Saunders; 2015. P.179.
- Thomas P, Hecker J, Faunt J, Fenech M. Buccal micronucleus cytome biomarkers may be associated with Alzheimer's disease. Mutagenesis. 2007; 22:371-9. [DOI:10.1093/mutage/gem029] [PMID]
- Al-Amrah HJ, Aboznada OA, Alam MZ, ElAssouli MZ, Mujallid MI, ElAssouli SM. Genotoxicity of waterpipe smoke in buccal cells and peripheral blood leukocytes as determined by comet assay. Inhal Toxicol. 2014; 26: 891-6. [DOI:10.3109/08958378.2014.970787] [PMID]
- Khabour OF, Alsatari ES, Azab M, Alzoubi KH, Sadiq MF. Assessment of genotoxicity of waterpipe and cigarette smoking in lymphocytes using the sister-chromatid exchange assay: a comparative study. Environ Mol Mutagen. 2011; 52:224-8. [DOI:10.1002/em.20601] [PMID]
- Derici Eker E, Koyuncu H, Şahin NÖ, Yüksel A, Berköz M, BudakDiler S, etal. Determination of genotoxic effects of hookah smoking by micronucleus and chromosome aberration methods. Med Sci Monit. 2016 21; 22:4490-4494. [DOI:10.12659/MSM.898593] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Stich HF, Stich W, Parida BB. Elevated frequency of micronucleated cells in the buccal mucosa of individuals at high risk for oral cancer: betel quid chewers. Cancer Lett.1982; 17:125-34. [DOI:10.1016/0304-3835(82)90024-6]
- Ozkul Y, Donmez H, Erenmemisoglu A, Demirtas H, Imamoglu N.Induction of micronuclei by smokeless tobacco on buccal mucosa cells of habitual users. Mutagenesis.1997; 12:285-7. [DOI:10.1093/mutage/12.4.285] [PMID]
- Wu PA, Loh CH, Hsieh LL, Liu TY, Chen CJ, Liou SH. Clastogenic effect for cigarette smoking but not areca quid chewing as measured by micronuclei in exfoliated buccal mucosal cells. Mutat Res. 2004; 562:27-38. [DOI:10.1016/j.mrgentox.2004.05.004] [PMID]
- Haveric A, Haveric S, Ibrulj S. Micronuclei frequencies in peripheral blood and buccal exfoliated cells of young smokers and non-smokers.ToxicolMechMethods.2010; 20:260-6. [DOI:10.3109/15376516.2010.482962] [PMID]
- Konopacka M. Effect of smoking and aging on micronucleus frequencies in human exfoliated buccal cells. Neoplasma. 2003; 50:380-2. PMID: 14628093
- Eissenberg T, Shihadeh A. Waterpipe tobacco and cigarette smoking: direct comparison of toxicant exposure. Am J Prev Med. 2009; 37:518-23. [DOI:10.1016/j.amepre.2009.07.014] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Neergaard J, Singh P, Job J, Montgomery S. Waterpipe smoking and nicotine exposure: a review of the current evidence. Nicotine Tob Res. 2007; 9:987-94. [DOI:10.1080/14622200701591591] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Djordjevic MV, Stellman SD, ZangE. Doses of nicotine and lung carcinogens delivered to cigarette smokers. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000; 92:106-11. [DOI:10.1093/jnci/92.2.106] [PMID]
- Yadav JS, Thakur S. Genetic risk assessment in hookah smokers. Cytobios. 2000;101(397):101-13.
- Nersesyan A, Kundi M, Atefie K, Schulte-Hermann R, Knasmüller S. Effect of staining procedures on the results of micronucleus assays with exfoliated oral mucosa cells. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006; 15:1835-40. [DOI:10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-0248] [PMID]
- Holland N, Bolognesi C, Kirsch-Volders M, Bonassi S, Zeiger E, Knasmueller S, et al. The micronucleus assay in human buccal cells as a tool for biomonitoring DNA damage: the HUMN project perspective on current status and knowledge gaps. Mutat Res. 2008; 659:93-108. [DOI:10.1016/j.mrrev.2008.03.007] [PMID]
- Vuyyuri SB, Ishaq M, Kuppala D, Grover P, Ahuja YR. Evaluation of micronucleus frequencies and DNA damage in glass workers exposed to arsenic. Environ Mol Mutagen. 2006; 47: 562-70. [DOI:10.1002/em.20229] [PMID]
- Maziak W, Taleb ZB, Bahelah R, Islam F, Jaber R, Auf R, et al. The global epidemiology of waterpipe smoking. Tob Control. 2015; 24 Suppl 1:i3-i12. [DOI:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2014-051903] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Knishkowy B, Amitai Y. Water-pipe (narghile) smoking: an emerging health risk behavior. Pediatrics. 2005; 116 (1):e113-9. [DOI:10.1542/peds.2004-2173] [PMID]