Document Type: Original Research
Department of Pathology, Vinayaka Missions Research Foundation, Karaikal, Pondicherry, India
Department of Pathology, M.S. Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore, India
Introduction: Colorectal cancer is the third most prevalent malignancy with high mortality rate, necessitating markers that predict survival and guide the treatment. Previous studies have examined the immunohistochemical expression of Bcl-2, an apoptotic marker, in colorectal carcinoma, but results have been contradictory.
Objectives: To evaluate the histopathological features of colorectal carcinoma, analyze the immunohistochemical expression of Bcl-2, and to find out statistical association of Bcl-2 expression with certain prognostic factors histopathologic type, grade and stage.
Material and Methods: This prospective study was conducted on the colectomy specimens of colorectal carcinoma, over a period of two years. The tumor morphology and Bcl-2 status were evaluated by immunohistochemistry in each case.
Results: The study included 58 cases, with mean patient age of 47.07 years and male: female ratio of 1.89:1. Bcl-2 positivity was seen in 32.7% of cases. Weak, moderate, and strong expression of Bcl-2 was seen in 12.1%, 12.1%, and 8.5% of cases respectively. Even though early stages of colorectal carcinoma showed greater frequency of Bcl-2 expression than advanced stages (36.3% versus 28%), this association was not statistically significant.
Conclusion: Lack of statistically significant correlation between Bcl-2 immunohistochemical expression and prognostic parameters like tumor grade and stage, suggests that Bcl-2 immunoexpression may not be a significant prognostic marker in colorectal carcinoma.
Key words: Colorectal carcinomas; Immunohistochemistry; Prognostic factors.
- Vasile L, Olaru A, Munteanu M, Plesea IE, Surlin V, Tudorascu C. Prognosis of colorectal cancer: clinical, pathological and therapeutic correlation. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2012 Jan 1;53(2):383-91.
- Hegazy A, Daoud SA, Ibrahim WS, El-Atrebi K, Saker M, Abdel-Wahab N. Role of Ki- 67, p53 and Bcl-2 in Advanced colorectal carcinoma (Histopathological and Immunohistochemical study). Academic J. Cancer Res 2014;7:168-72.
- Papagiorgis PC, Zizi AE, Tseleni S, Oikonomakis IN, Sofras L, Patsouris E. Disparate clinicopathological correlations of p53 and Bcl-2 in colorectal cancer. Mol Med Rep 2012;5:377-82. [DOI:10.3892/mmr.2011.687] [PMID]
- Luderer LA, Lustosa SAS, Silva SEM, Denadai MVA, AfonsoJr RJ, Viana LS. Significance of a Biomarkers Immunohistochemistry Panel for Survival Prognostic in Patients with Sporadic colorectal cancer. Ann Clin Pathol 2015;3:1050-61.
- Menezes HL, Juca MJ, Gomes EG, Nunes BL, Costa HO, Matos D. Analysis of the immunohistochemical expressions of p53, Bcl-2 and Ki-67 in colorectal adenocarcinoma and their correlation with the prognostic factors. Arq.Gastroenterol 2010;47:141-7 [DOI:10.1590/S0004-28032010000200005] [PMID]
- Edge SB, Byrd DR, Compton CC, Fritz AC, Greene FL, TrottiA. AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. Seventh Edition. Springer.2009:143-59.
- Bancroft JD, Gamble M. Theory and practice of histological techniques. Philadelphia, 6th ed. Elsevier Health Sciences 2008.p.121-3.
- Al-Temimi SMA. Correlation between Bcl-2 protein expression and clinicopathological parameters of colorectal carcinoma. Kufa Med.Journal 2011;14:206-13.
- Pity IS, Arif SH, Hadji DA. Angiogenesis, p53 and Bcl2 in Colorectal Carcinoma. Int. J. Adv. Res. Technol 2013;2(3):2278-7763.
- Ofner D, Riehemann K, Maier H, Riedmann B, Nehoda H, Totsch M et al. Immunohistochemically detectable bcl-2 expression in colorectal carcinoma: correlation with tumour stage and patient survival. Br J Cancer 1995;72:981-5. [DOI:10.1038/bjc.1995.446] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Manne U, Weiss HL, Grizzle WE. Bcl-2 expression is associated with improved prognosis in patients with distal colorectal adenocarcinomas. Int J Cancer 2000;89:423-30 https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0215(20000920)89:53.0.CO;2-T [DOI:10.1002/1097-0215(20000920)89:53.0.CO;2-T]
- Zhao DP, Ding XW, Peng JP, Zheng YX, Zhang SZ. Prognostic significance of bcl-2 and p53 expression in colorectal carcinoma. Journal of Zhejiang University-Science B 2005;6(12):1163-9. [DOI:10.1631/jzus.2005.B1163] [PMID] [PMCID]
- Contu PC, Contu SS, Moreira LF. Bcl-2 expression in rectal cancer. Arquivos de gastroenterologia 2006;43(4):284-7. [DOI:10.1590/S0004-28032006000400008] [PMID]
- Ghiţă C, Vîlcea ID, Dumitrescu M, Vîlcea AM, Mirea CS, AşchieMA et al. The prognostic value of the immunohistochemical aspects of tumor suppressor genes p53, bcl-2, PTEN and nuclear proliferative antigen Ki-67 in resected colorectal carcinoma. Rom J MorpholEmbryol2012;53(3):549-56.
- BHA Maather. Immunohistochemical study of CEA and BCL2 Expression in Colorectal Adenocarcinoma and its Correlation with Some Pathological Parameters. Medical journal of Babylon 2011;8(2):243-52.
- Qasim B, Ali H, Hussein A. Immunohistochemical expression of p53 and Bcl-2 in colorectal adenomas and carcinomas using automated cellular imaging system. Iranian Journal of Pathology 2012;7(4):215-23.
- Melincovici CS, Mihu CM, Mărginean MA, Boşca AB, Coneac A, Moldovan I et al. The prognostic significance of p53, Bax, Bcl-2 and cyclin E protein overexpression in colon cancer-an immunohistochemical study using the tissue microarray technique. Romanian journal of morphology and embryology= Revue roumaine de morphologie et embryologie 2016;57(1):81-9..
- Petrişor O, Giuşcă SE, Sajin MA, Dobrescu G, Căruntu ID. Ki-67, p53 and bcl-2 analysis in colonic versus rectal adenocarcinoma. Rom J Morphol Embryol 2008;49(2):163-71.
- Sharifi N, Ghaffarzadegan K, Ayatollahi H, Shakeri MT, Sadeghian MH, Azari JB. Evaluation of angiogenesis in colorectal carcinoma by CD34 immunohistochemistry method and its correlation with clinicopathologic parameters. Acta Medica Iranica 2009;47(3):161-4.
- Afrem G, Mogoantă SS, Secureanu FA, Olaru A, Neamţu C, Totolici BD et al. Study of molecular prognostic factors Bcl-2 and EGFR in rectal mucinous carcinomas. Romanian journal of morphology and embryology 2011;53(2):277-85.
- Watson AJM, Merritt AJ, Jones LS et al, Evidence for reciprocity of bcl-2 and p53 expression in human colorectal adenomas and carcinomas. British Journal of Cancer, 1996;73:889-95 [DOI:10.1038/bjc.1996.178] [PMID]