Document Type : Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, UP University of Medical Sciences, Saifai, Etawah, India
Ovarian small cell carcinoma is a rare and highly malignant tumor with poor prognosis. It usually presents in younger females with features of hypercalcemia. The exact histogenesis of the tumor is unclear and it may present as an undifferentiated tumor. In such cases, immunohistochemistry (IHC) plays an important role to confirm the diagnosis. Limited treatment options are available and mainly include radical surgery followed by adjuvant therapy in advanced stages. The current report was a rare case of small cell carcinoma of ovary presenting no symptoms of hypercalcemia diagnosed on histopathological examination and IHC findings.
- Kapoun M, Bouda J, Presl J, Vlasak P, Slunecko R. Agressive small cell carcinoma of the ovary, hypercalcemic type, surgery and oncological treatment: case report. CeskaGynekol 2015;80:218–21.
- Young RH, Oliva E, Scully RE. Small cell carcinoma of the ovary, hypercalcemic type: a clinicopathological analysis of 150 cases. American Journal of Surgical Pathology 1994;18:1102–16.
- Florell SR,Bruggers CS, Matlak M, Young RH, Lowichik A. Ovarian small cell carcinoma of the hypercalcemic type in a 14 month old: the youngest reported case.Medical and Pediatric Oncology 1999;32:304–7.
- Matias-Guiu X, Prat J, Young RH et al.Human parathyroid hormone-related protein in ovarian small cell carcinoma: an immunohistochemical study. Cancer 1994;73:1878–81.
- Chen L, Dinh TA, Haque A. Small cell carcinoma of the ovary with hypercalcemia and ectopic parathyroid hormone production. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2005;129:531–3.
- Dickersin GR, Kline IW, Scully RE: Small cell carcinoma of the ovary with hypercalcemia: a report of eleven cases. Cancer 1982;49:188–197.
- Scully R: Tumors of the Ovary and Maldeveloped Gonads. Washington, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 1979.
- Origoni M, Bergamini A, Pella F, Ottolina J, Giorgione V, Prato DD et al. Small Cell Carcinoma of the Ovary: Report of Three Cases of a Poor Prognosis Disease. J Med Cases.2013;4(3):189-92.
- Ulbright TM, Roth LM, Stehman FB. Poorly differentiated (small cell) carcinoma of the ovary in young women. Evidence supportingg a germ cell origin. Human Pathology 1987;18:175–84.
- McMahn JT and Hart W. Ultrastructural analysis of small cell carcinomas of the ovary. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 1988;90:523–9.
- Bakhru A, Liu JR, Lagstein A. A case of small cell carcinoma of the ovary hypercalcemic variant in a teenager. GynecOncol Rep 2012;2:139-42.
- Inadome Y, Shibata T, Suzuki K, Tsugata M, Shimabukuro K, Noguchi M. Hypercalcemic-type ovarian small cell carcinoma with unique CD34 expression. PathologyInternational 2009;59:766–8.
- Rovithi M, Pallis AG, Kalykaki A, Lagoudaki E, Giannikaki L, Stathopoulos EN et al. Small cell ovarian cancer in adolescents: Report oftwo cases and review of the literature. Case Rep Med 2011; Article ID 749516. doi:10.1155/2011/749516.
- Kascak P, Zamecnik M, Bystricky B. Small cell carcinoma of ovary (hypercalcemic type): Malignant Rhabdoid tumor. Case Rep Oncol 2016;9:305–11.
- Foulkes WD, Clarke BA, Hasselblatt M, Majewski J, Albrecht S, McCluggage WG: No small surprise – small cell carcinoma of the ovary, hypercalcaemic type, is a malignant rhabdoidtumour. J Pathol 2014;233:209–214.
- Zaied S, Gharbi O, Zayene A, Rjiba R, Hadhri R, Hadded A et al. Small Cell Carcinoma of the Ovary of Hypercalcemic Type: ACase Report. Case Rep Oncol Med 2012; Article ID 461873,