Document Type: Case Reports
Dept. of Pathology, Government Medical College, Kottayam, Kerala, India
Dept. of Genitourinary Surgery, Government Medical College, Kottayam, Kerala, India
Sarcomatoid carcinoma is a high‑grade rare malignant tumor with both epithelial and mesenchymal components. Sarcomatoid carcinoma in the upper urinary tract is very rare. We reported here a case of sarcomatoid carcinoma of renal pelvis with osteosarcomatous differentiation, with involvement of the ureter and renal parenchyma in a 68-year-old female. Histologically, predominant pleomorphic spindle cell sarcoma component with osteoid production and urothelial carcinoma component with in situ areas were identified. Immunohistochemical analysis showed vimentin positivity in sarcomatous component and cytokeratin positivity in carcinomatous component.
- H. Moch, P.A. Humphrey, T. M. Ulbright, V. E. Reuter. World Health Organization Classification of Tumours of the Urinary System and Male Genital Organs. Lyon: IARC Press; 2016, p.151.
- Piscioli F, Bondi A, Scappini P Luciani L.True sarcomatoid carcinoma of the renal pelvis. First case report with immunocytochemical study. Eur Urol 1984; 10:350‑5.
- H. Ahn, J. Sim, H. Han, H. Kim, K. Yi, Y. Jun et al. A Case Report of a Sarcomatoid Carcinoma Arising in the Renal Pelvis with Exuberant Osteosarcomatous Element. O J Pathology 2013;3(2): 96-8.
- M. F. Acikalin, S. Kabukcuoglu, C. Can. Sarcomatoid Carcinoma of the Renal Pelvis with Giant Cell Tumour like Features: Case Report with Immunohistochemical Findings. Int J Urol 2005; 12(2):199-203.
- Chen S, Chen G, Xia D, Li J, Wang S, Shen B, et al. Sarcomatoid carcinoma of the renal pelvis: Experience of multiple cases over a ten-year period. Oncol Lett 2013; 6:513-6.
- Xiquan Tian, Jiyu Zhao, Yue Wang, Nianzeng Xing. Sarcomatoid carcinoma of the renal Pelvis: A case report. Oncol Lett 2014; 8:1208-10.
- Ramakrishnan D, Subachitra T, Padmavathi R, Devi GD. A case report of an urothelial carcinoma arising in the renal pelvis with exuberant chondrosarcomatous element associated with adrenal metastasis. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2014; 57:284-6.
- Lopez-Beltran A, Escudero AL, Cavazzana AO, Spagnoli LG, Vicioso Recio L. Sarcomatoid transitional cell carcinoma of the renal pelvis. A report of five cases with clinical, pathological, immunohistochemical and DNA ploidy analysis. Pathol Res Pract 1996; 192:1218-24.
- M. T. Sung, M. Wang, G. T. MacLennan, J. N. Eble, P. H. Tan, A. Lopez-Beltran et al. R. Histogenesis of Sarcomatoid Urothelial Carcinoma of the Urinary Bladder: Evidence for a Common Clonal Origin with Divergent Differentiation. J Pathol 2007; 211(4): 420-30.
- Chang A, Brimo F, Montgomery EA and Epstein JI: Use of PAX8 and GATA3 in diagnosing sarcomatoid renal cell carcinoma and sarcomatoid urothelial carcinoma. Human Pathology 2013; 44: 1563‑68.
- Thiel DD, Igel TC and Wu KJ: Sarcomatoid carcinoma of transitional cell origin confined to renal pelvis. Urology 2006; 67:622.